Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    OT a bit

Funny, I think by our screen personalities we wouldn't get along, but IRL, I think alot of us would "gel"....
    Forget IMTS... How about a PM Meetup.

I feel like most of you curmudgeony guys would wanna come visit Florida, so you and I wouldn't have to travel far...

2. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will admit there was a point in time when I had some guys who couldn't be trusted to lock the door themselves where I was wandering around waiting for them to finish up when it should have been beer thirty and it was annoying

But not as annoying as having to be there at 7 to hold their collective hands when I had hardly had my coffee

And all this 'these kids today' crap, its crap, do we have to dig up the Aristotle quote, or whatever else?

Aren't we supposed to be making a better world for out kids?

Then we make it better and resent them for it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    I can't believe we are at a point in life where an employer expecting employees to be on time is considered tyrannical. This is the underlying issue with many of the protests, political issues, etc today. No one can accept responsibility for themselves.
    will be (is) the cause of the decline of the western empire

Anecdote 1. A friend of mine, lady of Chinese heritage, is an anesthesiologist. All her siblings, four of them, are doctors or lawyers. I asked once " your family is so successful, what do you attribute that to? She said they were raised with very strict discipline and the expectation of doing well; that one time she came home with a mark that wasn't an A and was punished with no TV .......for a year! Now parents have lost control to the point where the kid calls child services if the cell phone is taken away for day. Too old now, but I used to joke I should move to China and drive a cab so the kids could have a better life.

Anecdote 2. One of the most fun things I've got on the go is I'm part of cadre of guys working on a number of new products, inventions if you will. I'm the old man, they're all young engineers, some recent grads some still in school. They also mentor/run high school robotics teams so despite the youth they've got some management experience and constant exposure to teens. I'm a sponsor of the team and we hang out into the evening a few nights a week at the plant working on our projects.

Anyway, last night was funny as they starting laying into what a disaster most kids are all of a sudden, like in 4-10 years they went from being a teen the team to youth has go to shit. Quite funny for me in my late 50's listening to 20 somethings talk about "kids these days". There's probably some bias shift is they become adults, but they're bright people and the eldest has been mentoring for quite while. So its not all explained by that; makes me wonder if the pace of change can be so noticeable in so short a time, i.e. 1/4 generational change. And do we have even a crappier cohort coming along?

5. Likes Alloy Mcgraw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be clear, agree or not, I am not saying that showing up at 6 one day and 9 the next (without damn good reason!) is OK. I am talking 5-10-15 minutes. Again, unless a machine or production cycle requires it, who cares? And honestly, if you are that boss, we won't get along anyways so... meh, we'll both move along.

*breeding*
    I see you were never late to English class.

I have a nasty habit of typing fast and just hitting post without proofreading. In High School, I had a girl who sat next me handle this type of stuff for me, I surely never misspelled 'panties' though.

I do wonder at times the way we interpret each other from the written word only, how accurate to our personalities that might actually be. I bet not very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing we did was get rid of the time clock years ago. We log in on a computer when we get to work and get paid by the minute. Some guys start at around 3 A.M. some at 5:00 ish, some at 7:41 ish, some take lunch, some take breaks, they don't care, As long as the work gets done, we can sort of come and go as we want, I wouldn't want it any other way.

8. Likes charlie gary, Bobw, Mike1974, Pathogen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    One thing we did was get rid of the time clock years ago. We log in on a computer when we get to work and get paid by the minute. Some guys start at around 3 A.M. some at 5:00 ish, some at 7:41 ish, some take lunch, some take breaks, they don't care, As long as the work gets done, we can sort of come and go as we want, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Got rid of a punch timeclock quite a while ago and went to ADM3 terminal to log onto the computer giving one and idea of the timeframe.
    Still it a timeclock and the line at it.
    Later we would use the machines themselves to handle punch in and out times, no more lines. At the same time you were punching in a job so tracking there automatic and easier for all.
    No separate job tracking needed, filling out time sheets or other waste of time and motion.

Paid by the minute I do have a question.
    Say the shop is on 40 hours. If a person punches out 15 to 30 minutes over everyday do they get that overtime pay?
    If not how are exclusions for "stay over to help" handled? If so what prevents just hanging around to suck up the OT?

Worked in a big union shop as a supervisor using KRONOS. Had to edit everyone's paid time in decimal so 6 minute units. A huge pain and my time spent.
    Some departments allowed OT others not. Where OT allowed I would tell my people to watch that 6 minute rule as if you punched out at 5 minutes and 50 seconds you lost it.
    Fairly sure those above would not approve of me giving this advice but I did not want to see people get shorted.
    OTOH were those who disappeared well before the end of shift and went to take a shower and change before the days out punch.
    Had to burn a few of those guys and gals.

It is a two way street and what is "fair" rules.

Smaller shop and I loved flex time for the floor on start, end and lunch time, Dad hated it and would come and ream me as to why Joe was in the lunch room.
    For him the workday for employees was very strictly defined. A quote "If I walk out into the shop during work hours all I want to see is elbows and assholes".
    To say the least Dad and I had conflicts on how to run a shop.

Late often is a problem that needs to be addressed. Allow it and Is four hours late okay, how about eight or twelve?

Get the job done and what care so all is fine? 24 hours if you are software side and then work a double?
    Machinists or machine part loaders, take a day off and do a double? Same throughput, so why not?
    Same work done, shipped and same pay.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flextime is a huge perk that can significantly improve employee retention.

The value of employee retention (which is huge) is factored in every time we shop for pallet pools and barfeeders.

11. Likes wheelieking71, charlie gary liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I'm done sleeping I get up and go to work. I work until the work is done or I can't work any more. Then I go home and sleep. What's this "clock" thing you speak of?

13. Likes Strostkovy, Bobw, gustafson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I had a half dozen employees and played Dualkit promptness in the shop was not important, so I was flexible.
    I had quite a few dedicated machines for kit parts for different models and had minimum inventory requirements based on sales. It basically boiled down to needing certain machines ran X amount of hours a week, when they were run didn't matter. On the other hand if you have a production shop running 2-3 shifts with guys following each other promptness matters when communication between shifts is important. Also nothing is worse than a guy not calling in when he is going to be late when everyone has a cell phone these days. Nobody knows if you are going to be 10 minutes late or a no show, sometimes guys need to be moved around to cover hot jobs if someone is going to be a no show.

15. Likes charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Forget IMTS... How about a PM Meetup.

I feel like most of you curmudgeony guys would wanna come visit Florida, so you and I wouldn't have to travel far...
    How far are you from Disney World? Two summers ago I unfortunately tore the meniscus in my knee getting a rotting old Camaro fixed up good enough to get it off the property a couple days before a prepaid trip to Walt Disney World. I tried to tough it out limping all over Epcot and Animal Kingdom with a knee brace. I refused my girlfriend's suggestion I rent a wheelchair. Day 3 was supposed to be the Magic Kingdom, but I could not tolerate walking anymore and we went home. I always want to go back to see the Magic Kingdom as it is the park similar to Disneyland in Anaheim Ca I remember as a kid.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Also nothing is worse than a guy not calling in when he is going to be late when everyone has a cell phone these days.
    Actually, no, they DON'T. Life went on just fine before those things were invented.

In my case, there's a good reason: two years ago, I went completely 100% legally deaf. 50 yrs old. A cell phone is a waste of money and has absolutely zero use for me. So I got a captioned phone that works with the land line -- if I call in, it'll be from home, so that I can read what you're saying on the screen, and talk back.

As for arriving on time, my job is like 3 miles away, max. I could ride a bicycle there. Hell I could take a bus or walk there. I generally plan things so I get there 1/2 hr early rain or snow or shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How far are you from Disney World? ,...
    About 3 hours. Out of season he is in a great place to be, in season .... traffic.
    The corner he lives in used to be some much nicer but then the big money came in.
    It is like night and day from 20-30 years back.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    I see you were never late to English class.

I have a nasty habit of typing fast and just hitting post without proofreading. In High School, I had a girl who sat next me handle this type of stuff for me, I surely never misspelled 'panties' though.

I do wonder at times the way we interpret each other from the written word only, how accurate to our personalities that might actually be. I bet not very good.

Did I type something "inaccurately" LOL

Don't know, but this thread is off the rails like the rest sso..... (grammar police!!! hahaha)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post
    Actually, no, they DON'T. Life went on just fine before those things were invented.

In my case, there's a good reason: two years ago, I went completely 100% legally deaf. 50 yrs old. A cell phone is a waste of money and has absolutely zero use for me. So I got a captioned phone that works with the land line -- if I call in, it'll be from home, so that I can read what you're saying on the screen, and talk back.
    Well given that I use my phone for texts at least as much as voice calls I'd say that you're wrong. My voice mail says do not leave a message, send me a text. A cell phone isn't useless to you really, you just don't want one.

Which is fine, your choice, mine is on silent most of the time.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pavt View Post

As for arriving on time, my job is like 3 miles away, max. I could ride a bicycle there. Hell I could take a bus or walk there. I generally plan things so I get there 1/2 hr early rain or snow or shine.
    You are a rare case, no need to get all worked up.

22. Likes pavt, Strostkovy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are a rare case, no need to get all worked up.
    And he can still text people...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did I type something "inaccurately" LOL

Don't know, but this thread is off the rails like the rest sso..... (grammar police!!! hahaha)
    I'm not quite sure if you understood my post?

I was making light of my own misspelling, which you corrected. Grammar police? Think you need a mirror.