What's new
What's new

drill bit sources

MeanMachine1980

Aluminum
Hello I dont know if this is the right forum to post this but here goes.
I have a small prototype shop and am constantly in the need of good drill bits. Im sick of buying them from mcmaster and the like. I was wondering where some of you shop owners get your drill bits. Do you get them from the same local company/person that sources all your tooling?

Thanks

Why are you sick of McMaster? For me it's either them or MSC. MSC for Guhring. Like you I do not use mass quantities of drills. I did score a great varied lot of mostly Guhring from .031 -.250 on Ebay when it was in it's infancy, many were full packages. I still haven't used them all in 25 years. Unless you buy in volume I think you are stuck paying McMaster or MSC prices.

I've been happy with yg-1 drills that I buy from Suncoast tool in Florida. Prices are good, min quantities are usually 5 pcs so you don't have to buy 10 if you only need a couple.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I get most of my tooling through Productivity Inc. in Plymouth, MN. In part because they're 20 minutes away and I can get most things same day. They do have decent stuff at decent prices though.

I get most of my tooling through Productivity Inc. in Plymouth, MN. In part because they're 20 minutes away and I can get most things same day. They do have decent stuff at decent prices though.

I buy probably 75% of our stuff through Productivity in CO because they carry so many brands and offer them at great prices. Redline tools makes HSS drills that might compare to the McMaster drills.

But to be fair to McMaster we buy most of our HSS stuff from them because it's reasonably cheap and performs solid. Almost all of our non-carbide drills are from them. But still, what's wrong with McMaster drills? Price?

Sun coast tools
YG gold p drills descent price and drill great
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don beat me to it. YG-1 Gold-P drills. I don't know what they did right? Grind? Blank? Coating? Don't care really!
They just work. I do zero super-alloy stuff. So I can't comment on anything tougher than 4140 or 17-4.
But for anything from 6061 to 17-4/H-900? they work fantastic.
They are my go to for sure.
I have pushed them past carbide parameters in aluminum, and they hang just fine.
I have one job I do where I drill many 1/4" through holes (some interrupted cut) in 6061 @ 12krpm and 125ipm (no peck), and get thousands of holes from one drill.
YG-1 Gold-P are excellent drills.

I don't buy in production quantities; it's rare when I buy more than 6 of the same size drill. I usually buy from Travers or KBC Tools, where you can buy anything from cheap no-name to Nachi and Guhring.

I would imagine it is a user problem, not a drill problem.

Anybody who slams MMC has a problem. One of best run companies in the world. Sometimes their prices may be a little high but their unparalleled service makes up it.

Buying drills from the guy on the corner may not be good..because if you should give such a guy a job he will be stealing your drills also. (It doesn't matter what color he might be)

The rule is "what goes around comes around."

(If you condone stolen drills the getting yours stolen is justified.)

Thats great. I really like their polished end mills for aluminum, best Ive tried for mirror finish! I see All Industrial sells them. Do you buy them individually?

I would imagine it is a user problem, not a drill problem.

Anybody who slams MMC has a problem. One of best run companies in the world. Sometimes their prices may be a little high but their unparalleled service makes up it.

I don't think I have ever used a website as good as theirs. True they do have some crazy high prices on certain items, through experience a person learns what to avoid, 6061 rounds are one of them. Most of the time the one stop shopping, prompt and low priced shipping are worth paying a little extra.

Since when are there shipping issues with McMaster? They are fast and cheap for me.

It appears to have a lot to do with how frequently you buy from them. At my last job I ordered stuff from them several times a week, and stuff would leave LA that day or the next day and be in my hands in the Seattle area one day later for less than $10 shipping. If I ordered something for home use being delivered to my house it would take a week to get there and cost me just under $20 for shipping.

I used finish nails for a really long time, just cut the head off and they chuck right up

When they bend just throw them away

They come in all kinds of sizes and never need lube

I go to McM C nowadays and would have chest pains if I had to deal with someone else

Oh yeah, you can also pull nails out of old pallets and beat them straight to use as drills to squeeze another Nickle

:D :willy_nilly: :nono:

Back