Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default drill bit sources

Hello I dont know if this is the right forum to post this but here goes.
    I have a small prototype shop and am constantly in the need of good drill bits. Im sick of buying them from mcmaster and the like. I was wondering where some of you shop owners get your drill bits. Do you get them from the same local company/person that sources all your tooling?

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never had a problem with McMaster drills. What kind of drills are you getting, what are you drilling, what is your issue?

3. Likes Dan from Oakland liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why are you sick of McMaster? For me it's either them or MSC. MSC for Guhring. Like you I do not use mass quantities of drills. I did score a great varied lot of mostly Guhring from .031 -.250 on Ebay when it was in it's infancy, many were full packages. I still haven't used them all in 25 years. Unless you buy in volume I think you are stuck paying McMaster or MSC prices.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been happy with yg-1 drills that I buy from Suncoast tool in Florida. Prices are good, min quantities are usually 5 pcs so you don't have to buy 10 if you only need a couple.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get most of my tooling through Productivity Inc. in Plymouth, MN. In part because they're 20 minutes away and I can get most things same day. They do have decent stuff at decent prices though.

7. Likes metalmadness liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I get most of my tooling through Productivity Inc. in Plymouth, MN. In part because they're 20 minutes away and I can get most things same day. They do have decent stuff at decent prices though.
    I buy probably 75% of our stuff through Productivity in CO because they carry so many brands and offer them at great prices. Redline tools makes HSS drills that might compare to the McMaster drills.

But to be fair to McMaster we buy most of our HSS stuff from them because it's reasonably cheap and performs solid. Almost all of our non-carbide drills are from them. But still, what's wrong with McMaster drills? Price?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sun coast tools
    YG gold p drills descent price and drill great
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea nothing wrong with mcmaster except the price and shipping. Their set costs are also very high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nelson View Post
    Sun coast tools
    YG gold p drills descent price and drill great
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don beat me to it. YG-1 Gold-P drills. I don't know what they did right? Grind? Blank? Coating? Don't care really!
    They just work. I do zero super-alloy stuff. So I can't comment on anything tougher than 4140 or 17-4.
    But for anything from 6061 to 17-4/H-900? they work fantastic.
    They are my go to for sure.
    I have pushed them past carbide parameters in aluminum, and they hang just fine.
    I have one job I do where I drill many 1/4" through holes (some interrupted cut) in 6061 @ 12krpm and 125ipm (no peck), and get thousands of holes from one drill.
    YG-1 Gold-P are excellent drills.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't buy in production quantities; it's rare when I buy more than 6 of the same size drill. I usually buy from Travers or KBC Tools, where you can buy anything from cheap no-name to Nachi and Guhring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster sells US-made stuff anywhere they can (I've used a couple thousand of three different size drills for a project--all Viking USA made HSS). If you have a question about where/who makes an item, you an call them and ask. I really don't understand people griping about McMaster, they have absolutely the best service (a human, in the US, even picks up the phone immediately), most reasonable shipping (overnight), selection (never encountered anything "out of stock" shown in their listings), return policy(drop it in a box and return it, you don't even need to put any paperwork with it, they figure it out), and website(replete with unequaled efficiency ease-of-use, drawings, CAD data, technical descriptions). And all the prices are "reasonable" retail (ie they do not mark things way up and then have perpetual "sales of the day"). Some things are even less expensive than can be found elsewhere (aloris toolholders were one recent surprising example). If you buy some adhesive or other expiration-dated item, those are always at nearly the start of their shelf-life. If folks have hours to spend haranguing and surfing the net looking for $5 cheaper on a needed item, versus the 5 minutes to order from MMC, something's off with their business model. Occasionally, they have to ship things from different locations (recently they stopped indicating this on the order), but if you call them, they will refund one of the shipping charges, no questions asked. I've never had a negative overall experience with MMC in 40 years...and that's saying something about a US company. (no affiliation, just a long-time customer that appreciates consistently great service, selection, and ease of use).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by workin stiff View Post
    *** mcmaster, i buy all my my drill bits from the ****** on the corner. He does prototype wok as well.
    I wasn't aware they sold tooling...I'll have to look into it
    I would suppose it's cash only?
    Last edited by Ox; 09-28-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Requested editing

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine1980 View Post
    Yea nothing wrong with mcmaster except the price and shipping. Their set costs are also very high.
    Since when are there shipping issues with McMaster? They are fast and cheap for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would imagine it is a user problem, not a drill problem.

Anybody who slams MMC has a problem. One of best run companies in the world. Sometimes their prices may be a little high but their unparalleled service makes up it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buying drills from the guy on the corner may not be good..because if you should give such a guy a job he will be stealing your drills also. (It doesn't matter what color he might be)

The rule is "what goes around comes around."

(If you condone stolen drills the getting yours stolen is justified.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats great. I really like their polished end mills for aluminum, best Ive tried for mirror finish! I see All Industrial sells them. Do you buy them individually?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    I would imagine it is a user problem, not a drill problem.

Anybody who slams MMC has a problem. One of best run companies in the world. Sometimes their prices may be a little high but their unparalleled service makes up it.
    I don't think I have ever used a website as good as theirs. True they do have some crazy high prices on certain items, through experience a person learns what to avoid, 6061 rounds are one of them. Most of the time the one stop shopping, prompt and low priced shipping are worth paying a little extra.

21. Likes crazygoat, Pathogen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    I don't think I have ever used a website as good as theirs. True they do have some crazy high prices on certain items, through experience a person learns what to avoid, 6061 rounds are one of them. Most of the time the one stop shopping, prompt and low priced shipping are worth paying a little extra.
    Their website wins all sorts of industry awards, it is absolutely unequaled. Sure, they're not a bulk raw-material provider, but it takes overhead to stock a very good selection of materials in all sorts of oddball non-standard lengths. Several years ago I ordered two big pieces of PVC vent pipe (10' long 15" dia, 1/4 wall) (turned out MMC had it less expensive than anywhere found), it showed up on a box-truck at my door, the next day for something like $50 shipping (including some aluminum channel and such). Being cheap by nature, I still have to fight the urge to spend a lot of time hunting to save $5 (ie spend a dollar to save a dime).

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use drill Co drills, never any issue from my local tool supply that is 20 min away and even drops them off same day

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CITIZEN F16 View Post
    Since when are there shipping issues with McMaster? They are fast and cheap for me.
    It appears to have a lot to do with how frequently you buy from them. At my last job I ordered stuff from them several times a week, and stuff would leave LA that day or the next day and be in my hands in the Seattle area one day later for less than $10 shipping. If I ordered something for home use being delivered to my house it would take a week to get there and cost me just under $20 for shipping.