Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used finish nails for a really long time, just cut the head off and they chuck right up

When they bend just throw them away

They come in all kinds of sizes and never need lube

I go to McM C nowadays and would have chest pains if I had to deal with someone else

Oh yeah, you can also pull nails out of old pallets and beat them straight to use as drills to squeeze another Nickle

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

check Haas tooling

3. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Viking Drill ultra bor bits .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mean for standard drill sizes for general materials without looking for massive performance, I've never been upset with Precision Twist drills.

6. Likes charlie gary, Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You do know that some carriers charge and expedite differently depending on whether it’s a residence address or not. Right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
    You do know that some carriers charge and expedite differently depending on whether it’s a residence address or not. Right?
    Yes. That's a downside to running a business out of your house.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldoc View Post
    Fortunately McMaster doesn't, I can order Monday and have it at my house tuesday.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Fortunately McMaster doesn't, I can order Monday and have it at my house tuesday.
    The left coast is done differently. I don't know if it's a McMaster thing or a UPS thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine1980 View Post
    Hello I dont know if this is the right forum to post this but here goes.
    I have a small prototype shop and am constantly in the need of good drill bits. Im sick of buying them from mcmaster and the like. I was wondering where some of you shop owners get your drill bits. Do you get them from the same local company/person that sources all your tooling?

Thanks
    Depending on the sizes you buy and the condition when replacing them, you could resharpen them.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by charlie gary View Post
    The left coast is done differently. I don't know if it's a McMaster thing or a UPS thing.
    Probably a local UPS thing. I order MMC to a residential address in San Francisco city proper regularly. Usually comes out of LA or Chicago, but occasionally some of the others. With few exceptions it shows up next day. Shipping price has never seemed out of line compared to the office at any of the places I've worked in the city or to my buddy's shop in East Bay. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm ordering personally or on a work account (they are not connected).

When I lived in Indiana a few hours from their Chicago location everything to a business address was next day and residential always seemed to take 2 days, but same price either way.

Carrier varies too. Not sure it's ever USPS here, but it's definitely sometimes UPS and sometimes FedEx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love McMaster Carr's website. I use it for hobby stuff though I could spend an hour trying to save $5 or spend 5 minutes, have it coming for a reasonable price from McMaster, and get back in the shop. With my limited shop time it's not worth it to try and save a cent, I know I'm getting something quality from them even though there's not a brand name attached on the web.

I used to buy from them all the time when I lived in Colorado and never think twice about shipping. I moved to Alaska, order $150 of mainly little hardware, a 2'x2' piece of thin aluminum sheet, and a couple 3' sticks of something, maybe 10 pounds total for the whole order, my card was charged for something like $450. They shipped 3 different 2 day UPS packages to Alaska because UPS doesn't offer ground. Called them up before the next order and found out they'll ship USPS priority mail to Alaska. Depending on what it is and where it's coming from I have it in 2-4 days and a week max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by car2 View Post
    Their website wins all sorts of industry awards, it is absolutely unequaled. Sure, they're not a bulk raw-material provider, but it takes overhead to stock a very good selection of materials in all sorts of oddball non-standard lengths. Several years ago I ordered two big pieces of PVC vent pipe (10' long 15" dia, 1/4 wall) (turned out MMC had it less expensive than anywhere found), it showed up on a box-truck at my door, the next day for something like $50 shipping (including some aluminum channel and such). Being cheap by nature, I still have to fight the urge to spend a lot of time hunting to save $5 (ie spend a dollar to save a dime).
    I would say Productivity Inc has a decent interface, but yea they could take some cues from McMaster. Nothing beats that ease of use in finding anything you need. Sometimes you have to dig into the "item image" specifically to see what you're getting but I do like the photos and graphics they use to visually showcase what exactly you're lookin at!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Timely thread, I'm in search of a custom drill. Dead simple, just don't have the capacity myslef.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster Carr has always been great. Live close enough to go to will call or same day delivery through courier. Their drill prices always competed with PTS Supply, Travers and others when they (tool suppliers listed) had sale prices. What's the beef? Now if you were talking Fastenal...different story. We had one right across the parking lot. Never had stock, had to buy in large lots, price was not competitive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Timely thread, I'm in search of a custom drill. Dead simple, just don't have the capacity myslef.
    HSS or carbide?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    HSS or carbide?
    HSS be fine

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    HSS be fine

I don't usually source HSS tools, so I don't know too many manufacturers. But Pan American Tool made me some custom piloted reamers that I was very happy with, and the cost was the same as buying off the shelf reamers, if I remember correctly. And I only bought 10, so it's not like it was a huge run of customs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want the drill to be .375" x .750" with a 90deg included angle at the transition. Approx 1/2" of flute at each diameter. The big boys make stepped drills but i haven't found one yet to meet my needs.