Dry air tanks in attic of shop? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still watching this. Lots of interesting and differing opinions.
    Im digesting this information, both from here and other sources.

Thank you all for the input, keep it coming.
    Ill be updating tomorrow\tuesday.

Today is family day.

Country
    ALGERIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=digger doug;3472723]
    Quote Originally Posted by overkill19 View Post

I'm sure YOU can fix it.

Don't blame me for your shortcomings.

BTW doo you see "snow" inside your tank ?
    Good lord man! Why are u so negative, people here just trying to help and you jump all over everyone and do nothing but pic internet fights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My Quincy drier says it chills to 39 deg F.

Drying before storage tank keeps the tank dry, makes it last longer. Also subjects the drier to pulses from the compressor. So far, no problems with that, but might see some further down the road.

4. Likes digger doug, overkill19 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=overkill19;3473260]
    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post

Good lord man! Why are u so negative, people here just trying to help and you jump all over everyone and do nothing but pic internet fights!

Calling the lord now eh ?

Try reading my original post to the OP.

and comprehend who took the conversation DOWN.

14 whole post's and you cop an attitude to me ?

You can choke on it.

Country
    ALGERIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dry air tanks in attic of shop?

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1966 View Post
    FWIW, Gustafson did not write that Theory should not be damned, that code should not be followed and that tank should not have drain.

After reading several of your unacceptable posts, I felt it neccessary to chime in and inform you that I feel you are detrimental to this site. While I agree that your points about code are valid, your respect towards others needs improvement and that drowns out any valid points you make.

You should consider emotional intelligence training as its obvious to me it would be of huge benefit to yourself and all of PM. Also consider the idea of not posting where one cannot conduct one's self professionally. It makes this all look very very bad.
    Dry air tanks in attic of shop?Dry air tanks in attic of shop? 842 posts

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on fella's....
    Try to keep it civil eh?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

8. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're in the piney woods just north of Houston TX where the humid coast meats the Louisiana Swamps.

We put our air compressor outside to minimize noise, even though we have lots of humidity and erratic weather. Best thing we did was ensure that all the air lines were on an incline so that any water that got into the system flowed back to the lowest point, which for us consisted of the compressor tank and a surge tank on the other side of the shop. We also have timed drains under each of them. Every 30 minutes they open for 3 seconds and purge a few oz. of water. We also have a routine of opening a ball valve under the compressor at the end of the day just to be sure it's dry. The compressor is on a stand 10ft. up in the air and the air lines are between that and 15ft. up in the air.

With all that, there's always a little water in the system, but none of it ever makes it to the drops at the work bench's and machines. Just the same, each machine and bench also has it's own filter regulator combo that the users can keep an eye on.

We did it this way because at our old location (similar climate) we had a network of airlines that had been moved around and added onto so much that there was no order to it. That and all the lines were lower than the tank so we did get a bit of water at the drops. When we dismantled the lines (recycled everything at the new location), we even found a few low point water traps full of water that had been there who knows how long.

IMO regardless of your climate, I would plan your build to deal with water. If you don't see it, you can adjust your daily maintenance routines accordingly, but you get one rain storm and the air starts soaking up that water, you'll need a way to deal with it.

10. Likes overkill19 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Come on fella's....
    Try to keep it civil eh?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    True.

The OP could always bury the tanks out back of the shop.....

12. Likes overkill19 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    True.

The OP could always bury the tanks out back of the shop.....
    Hey, when the government decides to start taxing the air you breathe for your carbon emissions you'll wish you had a stash hidden away too!

14. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    Since I'm going to be installing a screw compressor here shortly, Im trying to think of air reciever placement.

Curious what the thoughts are regarding placing my air tanks in the attic of my shop?

Air will be dry (refrigerated dryer) and filtered before hitting the tanks, but should I be concerned about moisture buildup in the tanks (from temp changes)?

I like the idea of saving wall\floorspace in my small shop.
    I would also much prefer the safety idea of the tanks being stored out of the work envelope.

I could run the air coming back into the shop through another dryer\filter if necessary.

It freezes here for extended periods in the winter.
    FWIW... At my personal shop here in SD (current temp 7*F, not cold... ) I have my tank on the ground level, but only heat the building when I am there, which is not every day. NOTHING ever freezes inside the shop, even though it's a 1940's military Quonset. At work I have a Kaeser SX5T plumbed into a tank mounted at the ceiling to save space. This particular one can be cycled, and the Kaeser rep who did the install said my setup is fine. the SX5T has an integral drier, and I have never gotten any condensate from the tank drain, although the auto drain on the compressor unit does give me water. IMO you would have enough heat in the attic to prevent freezing, even if the lower temps produced enough moisture due to dew point, especially if your tank drain is piped directly into the heated area.

Country
    ALGERIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dry air tanks in attic of shop?

My first night shift back at work after 3weeks off! I had to go up on top of our cooling tower.... it was not warmer! Water did not last long in the air.... I guess it did, it just changed state rapidly!

17. Likes Ox, DrHook liked this post