Earle M. Jorgensen Company - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    According to my EMJ sales rep, the Earle M. Jorgensen trucks are still in service, if you ever saw one of them, they are very unusual. Their cabs are barely a two seat width. The rep said that they can't use them on roads any more, but they still use them in their yards for material transfers.

I have no picture of them to share
    I think you may be talking about CBE's- Cab Beside Engine. Kenworth, among others, made em in the fifties, and I remember seeing Jorgensens like that in the sixties, maybe early 70s. Like this beauty.
    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pi...11/scan001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember these trucks from years ago. It wasn't a CBE, looked more like something out of a cartoon. One seat in the middle and then the body curved out to normal truck width. The idea being you couldn't pick up hitch hikers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed that they recently stopped answering the phone "Your on-time or it's free company".

However - I did call late on Friday (wondering where my quote was) and got run through the automated switchboard, and it still answered the phone that way.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm8622 View Post
    Top left shelf right by the cigarette box....what are the titles of those 6 or so books?
    Those are AWS Welding Handbooks, old but still useful.

Back on topic... Does anybody remember when the FAX MACHINE was supposed to make the world oh-so much better??? Certainly didn't replace a good rep or the vendor/customer relationship & sometimes it turned into a nightmare.

Good luck,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember when plain paper made it a WHOLE lot better!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    I remember these trucks from years ago. It wasn't a CBE, looked more like something out of a cartoon. One seat in the middle and then the body curved out to normal truck width. The idea being you couldn't pick up hitch hikers?
    I think the idea was you could have a shorter overall truck, and still carry long lengths of steel. The ones I saw usually had a flatbed, and the full sticks would come all the way up to the front bumper. Pipe, for instance, often comes in random 24' pieces, and if you have 20' bobtail, that extra length of bed beside the cab means no red flags or overhangs needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    I think the idea was you could have a shorter overall truck, and still carry long lengths of steel. The ones I saw usually had a flatbed, and the full sticks would come all the way up to the front bumper. Pipe, for instance, often comes in random 24' pieces, and if you have 20' bobtail, that extra length of bed beside the cab means no red flags or overhangs needed.
    Like this?

post-39866-1256703139_thumb.jpg

I drove one of these a few times many years ago. They had a hatch in the roof for access when they were loaded long on both sides. It was really interesting convincing the driving test examiner to give the test in one.

Dennis

8. Likes Ox, Ries liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought that y'all were talking about a tractor cab?

What use would you have for something like this in the yard?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

B and R model Macks had very narrow cabs. The R models had the cab offset to the driver's side.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    B and R model Macks had very narrow cabs. The R models had the cab offset to the driver's side.
    Alaska Copper and Brass uses at least one of those Mack’s for local deliveries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I thought that y'all were talking about a tractor cab?

What use would you have for something like this in the yard?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

different truck makers made variations on this theme. Kenworth made the CBE, which was a half cab, and they made em in both semi-tractor and cab and chassis styles.
    Those one humpers that Jorgenson had were mostly bobtails, I think. Looks like an international to me, mid fifties.
    I have seen several other brands of CBE's, often for crane trucks where the boom nestles down next to the cab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember seeing the center cab IHs on the road. Who remembers the stainless Edgcomb Autocars? I saw them around Phila, around the same time, thought they were the most beautiful trucks ever

8396638482_00153c0de3_b.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Who remembers the stainless Edgcomb Autocars? I saw them around Phila, thought they were the most beautiful trucks ever

8396638482_00153c0de3_b.jpg
    Ohh wow, that is pretty.

But its hard for an Autocar to be ugly....

15. Likes Mud, Modelman, tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two quotes today, for: 1.750" round 17-4/H1150, 4 bars (393lbs)
    EMJ: $1408
    Castle: $1175

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post

But its hard for an Autocar to be ugly....
    In the eye of the beholder I guess. We had the front clip of an Autocar that used to be a mobile power unit for irrigation pumps. They cut the frame rails behind the fire wall and welded a tongue to the bumper. Had a U-joint bolted right to the flywheel with a short shaft to hook up to the pumps.

The crazy part was that someone put a butterfly valve in the intake and you hooked up a vacuum hose from the pump to the intake manifold. Then you close the valve a bit to pull some vacuum and use the line to prime the pump. Normally diesels (it was a non turbo Cummins) can't do vacuum, but they figured out a way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found a copy of a brochure online that clearly shows the intent of the steel delivery trucks.

19. Likes Mud, otrlt, Bobw, Modelman, Ries and 2 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that's it Catman,
    No wonder it's not street legal anymore, I never knew about the hatch.

After looking at my older reference book, it's not as old as I previously stated. It is a 1973 copy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    There's no Undesirable list as far as I know, but they used to have a classification known as "casket accounts," which was Jorgensen's highest customer rating. A casket account didn't necessarily total big dollar amounts but could be counted on to order at least every 30 days. I don't know whether that still exists, but it does show old Earle's thinking—and he wasn't exactly a business slouch.

We order 1400 lbs minimum every week except for holidays. If the truck doesn't deliver on Monday as promised, it really is free. Once the truck broke down overnight on I-25 and a whole bunch of customers held them to it. We blew it off, as it's the sort of thing that could happen to anybody. But the rest of that load was giant 4140 bar stock destined for oilfied shops, who would give no quarter to anybody. It must have cost EMJ a mint.

Soon after that our guy had a gorgeous new truck and trailer. Anyway, as with any vendor/customer relationship, it's probably how often the same rep takes an order from you. Sooner or later they'll remember your name...just like you and your customers.
    This is a Catch-22. Perhaps if I order more, I'll get better prices. But at current pricing, I won't order ANYthing, so I'll never be ordering MORE. I've fallen off their radar since my last salesguy disappeared. Begging for attention falls into the same fruitless category as calling with better quotes to match after receiving someone's higher quote - a PITA and usually short term only gain. I don't see how to get to there from here.

22. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    This is a Catch-22. Perhaps if I order more, I'll get better prices. But at current pricing, I won't order ANYthing, so I'll never be ordering MORE. I've fallen off their radar since my last salesguy disappeared. Begging for attention falls into the same fruitless category as calling with better quotes to match after receiving someone's higher quote - a PITA and usually short term only gain. I don't see how to get to there from here.

I was in the same boat with Alro for decades. Outside sales guys came and went. All said that they would make some adjustments, but never seen much good. But what-do-you-know, new guy actually made some headway, and now their prices are in line, and I have actually needed service center service more recently too. (over just mill direct)

I'm guessin' the demise of that truck above is that they couldn't get any drivers that could fit in it anymore.

Those type hatches are common - if not required these days - for snowmobile trail groomers, so when they sink them in the swamp, river, or lake, the driver can still exit - as broken ice will jam the doors if not under the water line completely.

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I was in the same boat with Alro for decades. Outside sales guys came and went. All said that they would make some adjustments, but never seen much good. But what-do-you-know, new guy actually made some headway, and now their prices are in line, and I have actually needed service center service more recently too. (over just mill direct)

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Sounds like who you know is important, and in the sales rep dept that's the luck of the draw.

I had a Hadco rep get promoted. He called and asked why I wasnt' buying from them any more. I said the prices were too high, he said he didn't see any quotes in the system. Turned out his replacement wasn't entering them so his rejected quote numbers would be low. Seemed they get paid by the margin they make on their sales, and he was going for big margins. That was the story at that time anyway. Old rep viewed the new (but older agewise) guy as lazy.