Earle M. Jorgensen Company - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I had a Hadco rep get promoted. He called and asked why I wasnt' buying from them any more. I said the prices were too high, he said he didn't see any quotes in the system. Turned out his replacement wasn't entering them so his rejected quote numbers would be low. Seemed they get paid by the margin they make on their sales, and he was going for big margins. That was the story at that time anyway. Old rep viewed the new (but older agewise) guy as lazy.
    Ya know, picking the low fruit has it’s advantages. That is, until somebody like wally world figures out a way to turn the trees upside down.

Then you might go extinct in less than a generation… I’d fire that slow fool for not having the ambition to climb a little higher (he prolly didn’t get picked much for dodge ball either).

Good luck,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Two quotes today, for: 1.750" round 17-4/H1150, 4 bars (393lbs)
    EMJ: $1408
    Castle: $1175
    EMJ here in MN is pretty decent to deal with................usually neck n neck $$$ wise with other service centers 'round here.................They get an order 'bout 25-35% of the time. Ryerson is always high unless you dangle a big enough carrot in front of them. Copper/brass...eh. Go to them for specials. But the little local guy A&C Metals usually comes out on top. They bend over backwards for me too and that goes a long ways. I will order from them even if they are a few bucks more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    B and R model Macks had very narrow cabs. The R models had the cab offset to the driver's side.
    Uh, no. R models were centered. U and DM were offset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am so tempted to phone Dale and leave a message, "hey its BobW I want to do lunch next week, get back to me"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    Yeah, I am bitter... That POS DALE, fucked me hard.. Time
    and price, and then shipping because it came from further away...

Fuck Dale.

And it sucks, because my rep is awesome, and I'd love to give her
    some business, but I'm just going to get fucked in the end because of the
    guy that runs the sales department. My sales guy was awesome too, but
    Dale hamstrung him and fucked me more than once.. Rick, He's gone now...

So FUCK DALE.. FUCK HIM RIGHT IN THE EAR... If it was more than a modest order
    DALE would take it over, jack the price, jack the shipping, delay the shipment, and
    then I would assume take the commission.

so YES, I am bitter.. He not only fucked over ME, he fucked over some people that he
    worked with that I really liked and respected and I liked working with...

So yes, FUCK DALE!!!!

5. Likes Ox, wheelieking71, Bobw, david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is Jorgenson steel related to Jorgenson clamp who make wood working bar clamps for the last 100 years or so? I tried searching and got nowhere.
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Is Jorgenson steel related to Jorgenson clamp who make wood working bar clamps for the last 100 years or so? I tried searching and got nowhere.
    Bill D
    I so miss those clamps! I went looking to buy 20 more and was shocked to learn the were no longer made.

The other brands don't work as well for me ....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recently RFq'd 800lbs of 4140 alloy, you'll never guess who came in first; EMJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A ton of 6061...................EMJ was cheapest at $2.11/lb......................

Last Spring I was seeing $1.75+/- on orders less than 500lbs...................................

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Reliance bought Lusk in 1998.
    Makes sense. That's how we deal with competition these days. Buy it out ! Then the increased synergies will lead to lower prices !

Right

(Alphonso, gotcher ears on ? This is what I was talking about. )

You are just a bit out of touch.
    Nah, I'm in touch ! I moved to where the action is, with Dick Clark ! Knock three times on the ceiling if you want anything, twice on the pipe if our price is too high

edit: whoa ! I'm accidentally on topic ! Read it and weep

Reliance Steel to Buy Jorgensen - latimes

Then look left to the sidebar, "Reliance profits up 63%" ..... ahem. Synergies. Efficiencies of scale. Right ... collusion and monopolies couldn't have anything to do with it. Hi there, 1890 ! It's so nice to have you back again !

11. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    A ton of 6061...................EMJ was cheapest at $2.11/lb......................

Last Spring I was seeing $1.75+/- on orders less than 500lbs...................................
    Something changed. I sent in RFQs for about $6.5K of mixed steel and aluminum this week.
    EMJ sales responded in less than 1/2 hr. New sales rep called minutes later, before I even opened the emailed quote.That was impressive.
    Their 6061 was $2.06 to me. I got it for $1.96 from Admiral, that only meant about $150 on that part of the order but no one is giving me the $150. They were $.25/lb high on 1144 similar on 4140HT.
    EMJ was high on all the material but not shockingly high as in the past, I guess I'm off the don't bother list.

13. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    EMJ is the same here in the east. I used to buy one item from them because no one else had it. Now Alro stocks it for me and I haven't bought from EMJ since. I send them an RFQ every 6 months or so just to see if things are still the same and we have a laugh at the quote. They are ALWAYS the highest quote, and anywhere from 25% to 100% more than the next highest, not even compared to the lowest.
    I can't remember having a salesman darken my door.
    I don't buy a lot, a big order for me is 3000 lbs, I'm sure that makes a difference.
    I agree, We're in NJ and EMJ is always the highest quote by far. Do love that blue reference book though!

15. Likes Bobw liked this post