What's new
What's new

Employee attitude, what do you do?

nitrousmudbogger

Aluminum
I'm a easy to get along with boss and more and more employees think well if I can get away with that why not this. When I ask what's up I get attitude. I want to be an easy going boss so everyone is not wondering why they work for some A hole but it would be nice for them to use a little thing called common sense too and not over step their bounds. I'm new to the management roll and I have 11 people working for me. What do I do, put the fear of god to them every once in a while? I hate yelling all day, makes my day impossible

You don't have to yell. It works better if you are calm, give orders, and punish disobediance.

For example, if you are disobeyed send the malefactor home for the rest of the day without pay. Next time, GTFO and don't come back. Ranting doesn't command respect.

Some people are just stupid and malicious. "Being nice" doesn't WORK on them so do what does work or boot them out of your shop. Fire one and the rest may take heed.

Wow,

I can't believe this is the advice these guys are giving you. First if you are yelling at all, something's wrong. Most likely with the process. Less likely with the employees. Studies have shown that most employees want to do a good job, that they don't lay awake at night thinking of ways to tick-off the supervisor.

Another thing, this is not 1970. Hostile work environments don't fly anymore unless you are supervising illegals. If I were you, I would delete this post so none of your subordinates can show documented proof that you're asking how to "put the fear of god to them every once in a while."

Best Regards,
Bob

Are you new to the company? I would not yell. It will not accomplish anything. Since you are asking about attitude How did you approach the employee? Was that person having an bad day? Was he/she having problems with the job they were assigned? Was he/she frustrated? Did they have all the tools equipment necessary to do their job? Are people being harassed or harassing others when the boss isn't around? A Bosses Job is to make sure the people on the floor doing the work have all the training, tools, company policies etc. If that requirement is met then you start to worry about employee's attitudes. Bosses lead by example not by yelling.

If you think to boss is best then you may off to a bad start from the very beginning.
Your job is to delegate the work and assure the company it will be done.
Be polite and treat everyone fairly with no favorites.
Learn the company rules (not yours) and expect everyone to do their job.
If people do not do their work correctly or abide with rules then politely explain how soon they will be out the door.
Strong arm bosses are always at odds with workers, with some sucking up and others trying to avoid work.

Are these young guys? It sounds counter productive, but, what I have found to work is this: when they do something that warrants being reprimanded, pull them aside, tell them what they did wrong, why it is wrong, and send them home without pay for the rest of the day.

We recently got a decent sized job in the shop. the job was a given, but they asked me for a lead-time. before I committed a date to the customer, I asked my guy (who had been complaining about not getting any overtime) specifically how many hours a day he would work. And made sure he knew that I needed him to commit to it and follow through. Well 10 days in (it was a 16day rush) he went home early. Didn't say anything. Didn't ask. Just left. It was a Wednesday. he was working 12's. So I called him and told him not to come back until the following Monday. If he wasn't willing to work the overtime he committed to after bitching about not getting any overtime. Then he wasn't going to get any overtime that week either. And that I would happily finish everything and take the OT myself. His attitude has been great since.

you have to hit them where it hurts. You can yell till your blue in the face. It will accomplish nothing. Take money away. I suggest you sit down and write all the issues out in front of yourself so you can add up all the issues you are having. Call a shop pow-wow. And in front of everybody, lay out the law. If its your shop, its your shop etiquette. And tell them, if they can't follow shop etiquette, they go home without pay. sounds to me like you need structure. You can implement structure without being an ass-hole.

I haven't had an employee for 5 years (except a cleaning/handyman guy).

Here's my experience. Take it for what's it's worth.

I was thrust into a supervisor role as young as 18. I was in college and working weekends and vacations. That first bit, at 18, I was only a
part timer, I was only 18, and I was f'n scared, and the people I was "supervising" were between 24 and 40, 7 of them... and I had my job to do
and make sure they all did their job.

First off, you are not better than they are, You Aren't. You just happen to be the idiot that gets in trouble when everything goes to hell.

Respect, those people under you, they are the key to your success. You can't belittle them, you can't yell at them (maybe occasionally, but when
it comes to that, they know you are pissed off, and treating them fairly.).

Both my parents where "supervisors". My mom used to bring in ice cream and Sundae fixings every weekend and would wipe old people ass with the people
she supervised. My dad, would take the extra few dollars he made on night crew and buy beer for the crew after work.

You should be able to do their job, (sometimes thats just not possible)..... Where I worked, everybody was assigned a job on the schedule, if somebody came in
or stayed to do a double, they got their choice of jobs. One day I got one girl to stay over and work a double due to a call out... Then some other idiot called out
and I got somebody else to come in.... Crap, that first girl got bumped from her job(policy). CRAP, now what, Well... the worst of it was the end of the day, and I told
her I would do her job, and she could do mine (supervisor, its easy... right??). I banged out her job and helped her finish mine... She was a very good employee after that.
I could get her to do pretty much anything, she knew I had her back and would help her out.

This was in a nursing home kitchen, my previous life, but I made it a habit when the pot washer had to go get dirty dishes from the units, I'd do their pots and pans, and i was
faster than they were, and the returns were massive.

It all boils down to respect, and if you do your job properly, you actually won't have to do anything. If you're job is solely supervisor/manager.. your job is to put yourself
out of a job, it should run without you there, and its your job to get it to the point where you don't even have to be there.

In the old kitchen days and the machine shop days, nothing made me happier than watching shit get done. It was like a beautiful orchestra of stuff getting done.
You know you are doing a good job when you don't have to say anything or do anything.... and it just happens, its beautiful.... and you're out of a job (but that's your goal)...

One thing I used to do for my guys was bring in egg McMuffins at least once every 6 weeks or so. We'd eat and have a 'bitch' session. Usually I started the bitching, but never about my guys. There's always something that everyone has in common. Use that to build consensus.

Always - be as honest as you can be, consistent and fair. Good Luck

Best Regards,
Bob

Make sure to apologize when your wrong to. Best boss i every had would apologize when he was wrong which want often. He also never yelled. When he wanted to he would retreat to his office to calm down. And then summon me to three office for a calm chat. I was the apprentice. Ohhh how i dreaded that calm talk. Twice over the years it started with "do you like working here?" A more frightening sentence I've never heard. (except for "I'm pregnant":) )
Jordy

I do explain what I'm looking for the first time, then when I add "say I would like to see blah, bam attitude". I guess with this many people just about every day can be a bad day for one of them but never while I worked for someone else did I ever give the owner attitude about my job at hand. I guess bottom line why do I get attitude about doing their job? Even if I don't give you all the tools, knowledge, or what ever that's part of any job, figure it out and get it done. If you don't know how, learn, ask, etc not throw your hands up in a 5 yr old temper tantrum. Yeah I have gotten one of those on a simple task.

As suporvisor you want to make sure you're the hardest working guy in the shop. And no phony shit like acting like office work is really hard. No machinist gives a rat fuck how much paper work you do.

You should also be the best machinist in the shop or at least respected. If you're some hack calling the shots you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I have never had 11 but i have had 9 once. IMHO its not the number but how well you can pick them that matters. Get the right people, and its like sailing on a boat on a nice sunny day with just enough wind to keep everything going just right and plenty of time to relax. Everyone knows there place, you just have to sort out the odd issues that pop up - keep things flowing - happening in the correct order. Get the wrong workers and its like trying to sail a square rigger single handed through the eye of a storm!

IMHO theres a lot to be said that real leaders lead from the front. The workers have to respect you, but you also to a degree have to earn - maintain that. Shouting is a complete waste of time, effort and voice. Shooting at staff just makes you look like a prick. That said you need some way to both reward and punish them. Only you know what options you have.

Above all though its impossible to manage people if the people above you don't support it - don't also lead by example (think a rush job were 2 weekend shifts have to be ran, owner who was to run one key machine phones up 10 am (was a sposed 8 am start!) that he would not be in as had been out drinking Friday night :-(

As someone once told me, good staff don't need managing, just directing. If you get some one doing something you should not hear from them again till they a have a problem they can not solve or there done. If your having to constantly baby sit them, replace them! Its that simple IMHO

Someone is an idiot or asshole or some combination of the two.

Could be you or it could be them......

The OP asked ''what would you do?''

If I was the boss, as in the man that pays their wages, shitcan them and get a new crew.

If was employed as a manager, I'd find another job.

IME once you've lost respect of the workforce under you, getting it back is nigh on impossible.

I have three shifts with a total of 32 employees that I oversee. My advice is simple "Lead by example". The guys (and girls) know that if they have problem, I have the answer. I did my time on the floor some 12 years worth. My people know that I will never ask them to do anything I haven't done or wouldn't still do if the need be. If you weren't afforded this luxury you will have to earn it which will be a tough road to travel, but it can and must be done. It's ALL about respect. Strong-arming and making examples will only breed hatred among your people.

I'm not going to tell you that all my people love me because they don't, but they all agree that I'm fair and are aware of what I expect.

Here's a few tips;
> Always use the word "we" instead of "I" when referring to things that need done or have been done in the shop.
> Take care of your people no matter who they are. If their kids are sick or whatever, let them leave early or come in late if they need to. (within reason)
> Don't always talk, LISTEN
> When they did a good job make sure they know it and other's know it
> When they fail, tell them in private and help them to correct it. DO NOT call them out on the carpet in front of the others
> Be supportive of their ideas, if they're good ones use them.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Hope this helps

Robbie

Back