Escorted a customer out of my shop today.
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 195
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    tucson arizona usa
    Posts
    5,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2198
    Likes (Received)
    4777

    Default Escorted a customer out of my shop today.

    I make small presses that hobbiests use and every now and then one comes to my shop to buy one. I might get a few people a year walking in but 99 percent are online out of state sales. Today a lady comes in with her two teenage boys. I am running a lathe and they come over to see what I am doing. The lady says loudly to her sons "See this is why you are going to college, so you dont have to do menial labor like this." She then says to me tell my boys to go to college so they dont end up like you working with their hands and backs instead of their minds." I smiled and said I payed more in income tax than you earned last year I gaurantee it and you need to leave, I calmly walked her to the door and thanked her for coming in but we dont sell our tools to just anyone off the street. I locked the door behind me and went back to work.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    7,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    711
    Likes (Received)
    1824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I make small presses that hobbiests use and every now and then one comes to my shop to buy one. I might get a few people a year walking in but 99 percent are online out of state sales. Today a lady comes in with her two teenage boys. I am running a lathe and they come over to see what I am doing. The lady says loudly to her sons "See this is why you are going to college, so you dont have to do menial labor like this." She then says to me tell my boys to go to college so they dont end up like you working with their hands and backs instead of their minds." I smiled and said I payed more in income tax than you earned last year I gaurantee it and you need to leave, I calmly walked her to the door and thanked her for coming in but we dont sell our tools to just anyone off the street. I locked the door behind me and went back to work.



    I would have done the same, but I don't think I could have held back giving her a little more of a piece of my mind. What an insult.

  3. Likes Yan Wo, thomj liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Geneva Illinois USA
    Posts
    6,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2689
    Likes (Received)
    2417

    Default

    +10 on that one!

    Tom

  5. Likes hermetic liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    50
    Likes (Received)
    84

    Default

    Yeah, I was too dumb for a fancy degree. I make good money showing people how to run machines, making parts, designing stuff. Yep, manufacturing is the job for me.

  7. Likes JKA78 liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    215
    Likes (Received)
    802

    Default

    The absolute embodiment of tone-deaf. What a moron, that lady. Sounds like you handles that with more aplomb than I might have.

  9. Likes new_guy, Philabuster, Mike4hire liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7948
    Likes (Received)
    5271

    Default

    "Kids, if you're still at home listening to this shit, it's already too late. College isn't gonna help."

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Yeah my mom and sister say the same thing as I am a teen and not yet an adult but I just ignore them for a good reason. If that ever happened to me and my father was around he'd give them quite an ear full, I'd probably say a few words of "wisdom" and escort them out. Love the way you dealt with it though Kevin .

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    4,713
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2226
    Likes (Received)
    4060

    Default

    Kevin - sounds like you maintained your composure . . . well done. Only a fool gives full vent to his anger.

  13. Likes kpotter, Ziggy2, PDW, Deyeno, new_guy and 10 others liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    tucson arizona usa
    Posts
    5,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2198
    Likes (Received)
    4777

    Default

    I was pretty shocked that she didnt even realize what she had said. When I walked out with her she said should I order online, I said absolutely. I dont think she realizes that I love my job and I have a degree in art. My neighbor has an art degree and he owns a lighting design company they do a few million a year but you wouldnt know that he is the owner, he looks like he works there.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4195
    Likes (Received)
    3762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    Kevin - sounds like you maintained your composure . . . well done. Only a fool gives full vent to his anger.

    My goodness. I have to agree, WHOLEHEARTEDLY. I cannot say that I would have handled it so well. You did perfectly.

    Was this before or after we spoke, today????

  16. Likes kpotter, vanguard machine liked this post
  17. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    tucson arizona usa
    Posts
    5,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2198
    Likes (Received)
    4777

    Default

    She came in at the end of the day after picking up her kids from school. I would have been kinda ticked off all day if she was in first thing, god help her if it was during my coffee hang out and surf the web time.

  18. Likes Philabuster, DrHook, vanguard machine liked this post
  19. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    558

    Default

    "Learn a trade. You won't be cute forever."

  20. Likes Bobw, Philabuster, wheels17, swwi, Ray Behner and 9 others liked this post
  21. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1777
    Likes (Received)
    1908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I make small presses that hobbiests use and every now and then one comes to my shop to buy one. I might get a few people a year walking in but 99 percent are online out of state sales. Today a lady comes in with her two teenage boys. I am running a lathe and they come over to see what I am doing. The lady says loudly to her sons "See this is why you are going to college, so you dont have to do menial labor like this." She then says to me tell my boys to go to college so they dont end up like you working with their hands and backs instead of their minds." I smiled and said I payed more in income tax than you earned last year I gaurantee it and you need to leave, I calmly walked her to the door and thanked her for coming in but we dont sell our tools to just anyone off the street. I locked the door behind me and went back to work.
    You should have pointed to one of your guys, and said "Bob over there has a Phd in Communications theory, but he is making better money here building tools."

    dee
    ;-D

  22. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5843
    Likes (Received)
    4629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I was pretty shocked that she didnt even realize what she had said. When I walked out with her she said should I order online, I said absolutely. I dont think she realizes that I love my job and I have a degree in art. My neighbor has an art degree and he owns a lighting design company they do a few million a year but you wouldnt know that he is the owner, he looks like he works there.
    Degrees. What are they really worth?

    Once had an acquaintance who held a PhD.

    His thesis? Be sitting down, please....

    "Medieval Spanish Anti-Semitic Poetry".

    His Day job? 'coz one surely cannot make a living on THAT... and no fine way the lad could change an ignorant light-bulb, let alone a flat tire..

    Junior (very) buyer of low-line colored stone jewelry for a middle-sized catalog discount chain.

    Didn't even have the authority to place or price goods that sold for over eighty bucks.

    Go figure...

    Yah done good, Kevin.

    "American Diplomacy" at its best.

    Keep 'em talking 'til you can reach sumthin' weighty enough to virtually cold-cock the buggers in one go without breakin' a sweat.



    Bill

  23. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    669
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    262
    Likes (Received)
    410

    Default

    I've seen\heard foot in mouth disease on occasion but that takes the cake. Sounds like she didn't realise you ripped her a new one as you pleasantly escorted her out. Doesn't appear that college was helpful in her case none whatsoever.

  24. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1777
    Likes (Received)
    1908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Degrees. What are they really worth?

    Once had an acquaintance who held a PhD.

    His thesis? Be sitting down, please....

    "Medieval Spanish Anti-Semitic Poetry".

    His Day job? 'coz one surely cannot make a living on THAT... and no fine way the lad could change an ignorant light-bulb, let alone a flat tire..

    Junior (very) buyer of low-line colored stone jewelry for a middle-sized catalog discount chain.

    Didn't even have the authority to place or price goods that sold for over eighty bucks.

    Go figure...

    Yah done good, Kevin.

    "American Diplomacy" at its best.

    Keep 'em talking 'til you can reach sumthin' weighty enough to virtually cold-cock the buggers in one go without breakin' a sweat.



    Bill
    On a similar note...My oldest daughter has a degree in electrical engineering from U of MD and she is gainfully employed with a well paying job, but her BF has a masters in some sort of sub specialty of communications from NYU and and he is the "chief technician" for some dinky little company doing sound measurements for cars, his job is to stick microphones and find rattles in cars. The dude spent 6 years studying something that is only useable if you get a job with some politico. And he decided that he does not like it . Go figure.

    My other daughter who is studying at Mass Art to become and industrial designer, works at nights as a bartender, any time someone answers the question "and, what is that you do for a living", with the "well it is complicated" She responds with, " lemme guess you have a degree in communications" Yeah...

    the third daughter is studying music composition...go figure.

    go figure

    dee
    ;-D

  25. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California, Ventura county
    Posts
    1,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    256
    Likes (Received)
    607

    Default

    a good plumber makes better money then most of those basket weaving grads who end up in retail

  26. Likes SND, dhatlee, iMillJoe liked this post
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    713
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    That takes the Cake

    Maybe we as people should focus on using our brains instead of trying to be smart

  28. Likes dhatlee, zp-northlander liked this post
  29. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7057
    Likes (Received)
    2551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    the third daughter is studying music composition...go figure.
    I was 3-weeks away from going to college on a really good scholarship for music-composition. At the time, I realized I could be a high-school band director and be overworked & underpaid, or I could be a starving-artist "composer" wanting to be famous.

    I'd say I did pretty well going the Machinist route. My current & upcoming salaries are nothing to sneeze at.

    But then again, when I turn on the radio sometimes and hear the crap that people listen to, I start to wonder...

  30. Likes Antarctica, dcsipo liked this post
  31. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Florida USA
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    72

    Default

    I've been working in the machine trades since age 15, and have done very well for myself.Always worked the overtime, never laid off. I own my own home, have a hunting/fish camp in upstate New York, and own 4 houses that I rent. 2 are rented to college graduates that are making less than $30,000 a year and 1 other has a college grad in it that has a gross income of $38,000/yr. but that includes $800.00/month child support. I don't understand the mindset of it being necessary to be college educated. That's part of the reason there are very few young people in the trade. I keep putting off retirement because the company I work for can't find any body to take my job.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •