What's new
What's new

Ever had a customer stop by on their vacation?

Steve@Reliance

Hot Rolled
So i'm running around like a maniac today reworking a job for a customer who was waiting for it but stepped out to get lunch. In walks a different customer who is on vacation, he just stopped by to socialize and show off the new car he picked up yesterday. We have a number of jobs for this customer in the shop and 2 are really late but he didn't say anything about them or any other work. Was just hangin' out.

I'm glad to have customers like that.

So i'm running around like a maniac today . . . We have a number of jobs for this customer in the shop and 2 are really late . . . Was just hangin' out.

Nice that he was not busting your chops - but am I the only one thinking that he is taking some of your time - and thus putting you in a worse situation to get the work out?

I do this too. When we went to vegas, we stopped in at 2 of our vendors shops, just to meet. Wound up talking for hours at each one. If I visit any of my friends shops, I usually wind up helping them out for an hour or so.

Josh

So i'm running around like a maniac today reworking a job for a customer who was waiting for it but stepped out to get lunch. In walks a different customer who is on vacation, he just stopped by to socialize and show off the new car he picked up yesterday. We have a number of jobs for this customer in the shop and 2 are really late but he didn't say anything about them or any other work. Was just hangin' out.

And that fellers CPA could of just turned a part of the trip into a biz expense... Everybody WINS :)

I am located in Tucson AZ. We have a huge gem show every year and lots of my customers show up so this year we had a party and 100 plus customers showed up for it. Next year we are going to have several parties just so I can hang out with all of them. Every shop should have a party for the customers it was the best thing I ever did. Massive sales and all I bought was a bunch of pizza and beer.

I have a lot of wonderful customers, and a few who are total jerks. The only reason I tolerate them is that they pay their bills. Many of my customers have turned into good friends. It's simple we both treat each other as we would like to be treated. When things go South we communicate up front.

A lot of these guys have figured out that I'm a sucker for my daughter, so they bring stuff for her. Mostly thoughtful stuff like kids books where their wife does the animations inside. Vici loved them and it was those books that sparked her interest in reading everything... another brought her an electronics kit... for a kid. She blew him away by having it completed and working next time he saw her. Now she's programming micro controllers. Some of them hang out to go ziplining with us when the weather is good.

The best guys stop by for no apparent reason other than to bring by a cool milkshake on a hot summer day and see what cool projects are whizzing off on the machines. Many of these customers are downright geniuses in their own fields and happy to share their secrets when needed. For the most part we each bring something to the table and understand each others needs. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love going to shops of customers. It gives a different feeling when you are making their parts when you know who the person is that you are making them for.

Back