What's new
What's new

Expanding into new materials

bk7murphy

Plastic
Hello all,
My question is about some parts that a costumer requested we do. In the past we've done mainly steel and aluminum. However, one of our preferred customers is expanding into some non traditional material and processes. For example AMPCO 18, 4140 annealed steel, A2 tool steel. Processes include coatings such as Nylon powder coat 10 mils thick, and Zinc chromate coatings on the amp-co parts.

I've done some home work; i have handle on the material cost. My main question here is how to mark up my quote to accommodate the different material. For example, say we have a block made out 1060 that we would charge $100.00 for. Now we have a very familiar block made out of a2 TOOL STEEL OR AMPCO 18. The material is $10.00 more, but how much do i quote for the increased time it takes to machine tougher material. I've heard A2 is similar to stainless, i'm in the dark on Ampco. I want to have a decent initial starting point and not lose my ass until i have real data. If anyone has experience with this i'd love some insight.

With the coatings i guess mainly i'd love a reference. The couple of places near buy i got a quote from said price for the coating is per/lb roughly 75-100 minimum, and that covers the first 20 lbs. Is this the going rate or is the 2 guys near me just off? Also we're doing mall batch part 1-8 pcs.

If i have this $100 block add i only need to make 2 of them.i add 10 for material matl. mark up my machine time 15% for A2 cutting slower than 1060 , and add $100 for coating both blocks. My new price is $174.25 per block. It seems crazy to me, am i way off base here of does this seem close?

coat.pngcoat 2.png

In Denver we pay $.45/lb for yellow zinc with an $85 minimum which sounds right in line with what you heard.

I'm just a little 1-man show but for anything new, I consider the lesson to be worth something. If I bumped the cost up enough to ensure I made my normal profit, I'd cost myself out of doing anything different. *shrug

Ampco 18 is just alum bronze, it machines similar to steel. Only issue is drills will grab similar to brass. So watch when breaking out the back or trying to drill an existing hole. Sometimes I'll add a flat on the leading edge to prevent that.

4140 is a breeze to work with, just have to dial in your numbers a little differently then regular steel.

A2- Again...not tough to work with, just need to slow everything down a bit.

Your numbers sound about right...remember too you may want to add a bit more for working with a little bit more demanding material. Aside from taking longer there is a little more chance to bugger up a part...

Also coating...I am pretty sure your part will not magically arrive at the coaters place, nor does it get back on its own...shipping cost or your time to deliver and pickup.

You already know your answer.

As SIM pointed out, don't for get to add the (small) PITA service fee, for materials your aren't used to dealing with.

It is not just the additional time, and extra material cost: switching materials can require a whole new strategy, not just a re-post with updated tooling & speeds/feeds. Make sure to take that into account.

As far as the materials you will be facing:
Ampco18 (Aluminum Bronze/ C95400) machines nicely.
Just pay special attention to drilling/ tapping applications, until you have your numbers good.
We use 3fl mills, ground for aluminum, and they cut like butter through the material.

4140CHT (Rc28-36)is a dream.
4140 annealed is just like 1018... Doesn't want to chip as easily as CHT, tears and smears like 1018.

I don't have much experience with A2, so I won't comment there.

Doug.

Back