Fabrication Department - starter tools (plasma table, press/ pan brake)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Fabrication Department - starter tools (plasma table, press/ pan brake)

Hey everyone, I am looking to insource some very basic fabrication. We don't currently have the ability to do anything in house, and want to change that for the sake of doing some basic custom project prototypes. This will mainly be basic brackets (14-16 ga max), but we want some flexibility to expand into new products too.

I was looking into a plasma table (4'x4'), 4' press or pan brake, and welder (we have a welder already, need a table). I think these would pretty well cover what we need to make the basic parts. Does anyone have any recommendations for good introductory models?

Would love any other advice for starting to do more fabrication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by whara View Post
    Hey everyone, I am looking to insource some very basic fabrication. We don't currently have the ability to do anything in house, and want to change that for the sake of doing some basic custom project prototypes. This will mainly be basic brackets (14-16 ga max), but we want some flexibility to expand into new products too.

I was looking into a plasma table (4'x4'), 4' press or pan brake, and welder (we have a welder already, need a table). I think these would pretty well cover what we need to make the basic parts. Does anyone have any recommendations for good introductory models?

Would love any other advice for starting to do more fabrication.
    Show us some examples of the types of things you're having made, and we'll be much better able to direct you.

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img-0392.jpg

Oops, my bad. Thinking mostly internal brackets

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whara View Post
    img-0392.jpg

Oops, my bad. Thinking mostly internal brackets
    Those look like they are laser cut.
    Before bringing these in house, have some plasma cut by a vendor, and make sure
    the reduced accuracy and edge finish you can live with.

6. Likes charlie gary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not feeling it for the part in the middle on a pan brake. Possible but PITA. My answer based on having a press brake.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you do, get a 4x8, and a hypertherm PS. You won’t regret it.

9. Likes Ries liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty happy with our Accurpress brake with CNC back gauge. Big learning curve to start from zero.

I would find a good quick turn vendor for your cutting before doing plasma in house. Dust, floor space, sheet storage, expense of buying and handle sheets, etc. There are a lot of plasma tables gathering dust because laser is so good and fast and cheap. OSH Cut is in Utah and cuts quickly and probably 1 day of UPS from you. Send cut send is another online place with instant quotes. 3x or more the cost of a good local laser outfit, but convenient to deal with on a prototype basis.

11. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input, everyone. A lot to explore here, appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's why laser cutting is best as a purchased item: the best CNC's are hugely expensive but also so efficient that prices are quite reasonable and nearly impossible to justify in-house mfg. I buy laser cut parts for many fixtures and even home & boat parts (i.e. very low quantities but they are WAY cheaper than spending time to make them myself). I use send-cut-send, I can design and order a part often in as short as 5 minutes and get the parts (to Oregon) often less than one week (with free shipping).

The Dude

14. Likes thunderskunk liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Here's why laser cutting is best as a purchased item: the best CNC's are hugely expensive but also so efficient that prices are quite reasonable and nearly impossible to justify in-house mfg. I buy laser cut parts for many fixtures and even home & boat parts (i.e. very low quantities but they are WAY cheaper than spending time to make them myself). I use send-cut-send, I can design and order a part often in as short as 5 minutes and get the parts (to Oregon) often less than one week (with free shipping).

The Dude
    I’d say the numbers would have to be very strong to disagree with this. I worked for an EDM shop that had a laser, made decent money with it, and still decided not to get a new one when it died. Wasn’t worth the floor space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    I’d say the numbers would have to be very strong to disagree with this. I worked for an EDM shop that had a laser, made decent money with it, and still decided not to get a new one when it died. Wasn’t worth the floor space.
    I didn't say you can't make money with certain kinds of lasers, it's whether you should by one to make relatively few parts, like the OP inquired about. It's not worth the machine cost, maintenance, floor space, time to run nesting, etc. when you could use all of this for something better when laser-cut parts are so cheap to purchase. Completely different situation. You might also be able to make money with an older less-efficient laser (I didn't deny that).

The Dude