Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Finding work for DMU65 idle hours

I bought a DMU65 for manufacturing my products, but demand is variable. There are weeks where it's at 30% utilization. I don't have much overhead - break-even for this machine is about $40/hr + tooling. For soft metals such as aluminum, copper, brass, I have found carbide tooling cost to be essentially negligible.

I'd be willing to take $60/hr + tooling for straightforward five-axis work. From what I understand, this is unheard of for 5-axis DMG Mori time. More would always be better, of course. Any tips on where I ought to look for work? I have Hexagon CMM. ISO certifications don't do anything to improve my products, so I haven't bothered with them. Is ISO pretty much necessary for taking on job shop work?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best option IMO is to develop more products and make stock ahead of demand. Certifications will be required for almost all production work, especially in aerospace or medical, or for anything that goes on a vehicle. What do you plan to charge for your programming and setup time?

3. Likes erikh liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by erikh View Post

I'd be willing to take $60/hr + tooling for straightforward five-axis work.
    LOL. You are realizing my fear about cheap competition in the South.

5. Likes erikh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been expecting for a few years the price to drop way out of 5x work as the big push to 5x machines is Shirley going to "oversupply" the need for such, and those guys are still going to need to make that payment, even if it is at a lower threshold.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 05-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.

7. Likes barbter, erikh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I've been expecting for a few years the price to drop way out of 5x work as the big push to 5x machines is Shirley going to "oversupply" the need for such, and those guys are still going to need to make that payment, even if it is at a lower threshold.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Owning one is one thing. Having people you trust to make parts on it is another.

You guys are crazy to sell 5 axis hours that cheap. You're winning the race to the bottom.

9. Likes mhajicek, erikh, Jashley73, Fancuku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nah! He’s got room to maneuver. It’s all accounting anyway!

I worked at a Tier 1 automotive supplier in the tool room and the 5 axis cell I ran was billed at $28/hr. I was making $20.50.

I’m with Ox on this. I see time and time again shops/folks wanting 5 axis when they don’t NEED 5 axis. Does it save on setups, sure, can it be more accurate, sure, but do you NEED it? When I went shopping for a new machine my first pick was a Hermle, just like I used to run. NOT! I could buy 6+ Brothers for the same price and utilize them MUCH better. I have several products that a 5ax would be stellar for, but I don’t NEED one.

Best of luck to the OP, wish I had a 5ax sitting around with time to kill!

11. Likes erikh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 90% of "5-axis" work done on a terribly expensive 5-axis machine is actually "3+2" work.

And therefore, all the 5-axis dream machines are having to compete with guys owning a Haas with a 4th-axis rotary...or similar...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    About 90% of "5-axis" work done on a terribly expensive 5-axis machine is actually "3+2" work.

And therefore, all the 5-axis dream machines are having to compete with guys owning a Haas with a 4th-axis rotary...or similar...
    I used to do a lot of medical work and I was dying to justify a 5 axis mill. In the ten years that I was heavily into it, I saw maybe 3 RFQ's that were truly 5 axis.

14. Likes Ox, erikh liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought the DMU65 to make my own designs, and it's been a dream for that. We do swords and knives, pipes, gun accessories, jewel boxes for Nieman Marcus, expensive furniture, chain saw parts, PC water cooling parts, and generally an eclectic mix of whatever I think is fun. Before shifting gears into manufacturing and design, I was a C++ programmer for 20 years, doing this stuff as a hobby.

feb88d57-2f16-4a70-9e13-207568163774.jpg

I would not recommend attempting to follow in my footsteps! Putting your net worth into a Mori to make all those ideas you've always had is really unlikely to pan out. I'm persistent beyond sanity and made this work because it absolutely had to. I'm talking sleeping in a cot in front of the machine and running orders 24/7 while eating Ramen for a year.

We pulled through and it's turned into a respectable little business with four employees. Now that things have stabilized and I have some idea what the heck I'm doing, taking on job work to fill idle hours just seems sensible. For 3+2 work, full Siemens 840D SL control with Renishaw probe is time saver. CYCLE800 kicks ass!!!!

I'm not looking to squeeze out everybody else by charging $60 hour. I want to pick up a little work and pay my dues.

16. Likes Dumpster_diving, mhajicek, memphisjed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    I used to do a lot of medical work and I was dying to justify a 5 axis mill. In the ten years that I was heavily into it, I saw maybe 3 RFQ's that were truly 5 axis.
    I never tried to justify it; just went and got it. Almost killed me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by erikh View Post
    I never tried to justify it; just went and got it. Almost killed me!

OK then, so now you are banished to only asking questions on this board.

You are not allowed to give advise for 5 years....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox