What's new
What's new

First Article Inspection Software or Documentation

munruh

Hot Rolled
We find our shop doing more and more FAIs for new jobs for customers. Do any of you have way that you number each dimension and have a spreadsheet where you do this? I believe there may be some software that helps with this, but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas on how to send a neat concise FAI report to the customer?

I can second Chaz on the solidworks module. We have a few seats of solidworks inspector for creating balloon prints and such. It works decently when compared to doing it by hand.

We just had a demo for a software called Inspection Manager by HighQA. The demo seemed really interesting, but the demo always does. It seems like a faster way to get inspection documentation going. Based on what we saw, it is a lot more powerful than solidworks, but also 3x the cost. But worth looking into in any case.

I have a blank form that I created in Word. For simple parts with just a few dims I fill it out by hand and include it with the parts. I take a photocopy and keep it with my paperwork on that job.

For more involved parts I use an Excel spreadsheet.

Top of the worksheet is all the order info- Job number, part number/revision, PO number, MTR number if applicable, whatever else is needed like DCN or ADCN numbers. Then just a column for each entry- zone, dimension, tolerance, actual, pass/fail, intitials.

I just insert rows for however many dims I need to cover. I order by drawing zones, so I will take all the dims in A-1 and group them together, then go to A-2, etc.

If you can get a hold of someone that worked at InspectionEasy they have an FAI and In Process software that is absolutely fantastic. I used this for years back in the states and have never found anything that was as powerful and easy.

The problem now is getting ahold of them. the webpage is gone and they haven't updated their Facebook in years. I had heard that the owner passed but surely the software would be available somewhere.

Here's a 4 minute video showing it and has a phone number but I didn't get an answer.

InspectionEasy Software - YouTube

I use an excel spreadsheet but it is cumbersome and I have to manually enter all the measurements.

We simply create a spreadsheet that attaches to the shop trailer that lists all of the relevant dimensions.

The creator fills in the proper windows, and the inspector fills in the corresponding windows.

pretty simple really.

If the majority of your prints come through as Solidworks I can see the benefit of using their inspection module. Typing in all of the dimensions, especially when prints can have upwards of hundreds of features is time consuming, and prone to error. The majority of the prints we receive here are older and are usually in PDF format. We use the Ideagen software and import the PDFs into their software. As you click on each feature it uses OCR to put the data into the FAIR. You do need to add things here and there, and double check the OCR on some older scanned prints, but it works well enough.

Back