What's new
What's new

Flying on commercial airplanes in August

Richard King

Diamond
I will be flying next week. (8/10/2020) This will be the first time since we shut down. Has anyone flown on commercial planes (Delta) lately? Do they take your temp at check in, ask questions?? I feel good, just curious. No meals I here, did you take a sandwich? Do they serve alcohol? Snacks, soda pop?

I have a mask I use to paint machines, I'm thinking of wearing it, what do you think? Any thoughts? Thanks

I will be flying next week. (8/10/2020) This will be the first time since we shut down. Has anyone flown on commercial planes (Delta) lately? Do they take your temp at check in, ask questions?? I feel good, just curious. No meals I here, did you take a sandwich? Do they serve alcohol? Snacks, soda pop?

I have a mask I use to paint machines, I'm thinking of wearing it, what do you think? Any thoughts? Thanks

??

I'm not even "current". But one Piper I shared with the owner had a metal plate on the panel as said it all:

"If you must smoke or drink, please step outside."

Altitudes I preferred- so as to avoid Cesspoolers forever looking at the ground - that first step wudda been a looong one!

Here yah go:

Delta's FAQ's

All the airlines have that stuff.

Globally.

One might think they had OTHER folks flying besides yerself?

Go figure PM would know more than the Air Transport operator actually putting the seat under your ass would know?

I wear a half-face respirator when I go out, a full face is better still due to the eye protection. I do think it's wise to go overboard if you're older, this virus doesn't play games if it decides to mess with you.

To that point I'd try to not eat or drink on the airplane, but if that's not possible perhaps you can bring clean disposable gloves with you that you just use while eating, so whatever else you've touched while on board doesn't go along for the ride. But it's really tough to be "disciplined" about what you touch (rubbing nose, tray, etc.), so ultimately gloves may not help.

Can't help you with airport procedures, but I'd bet each airline has a webpage that explains their procedures. Might even call their 800 numbers to see if there's a automated info option.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

I’m going to have to do something similar soon.... not really keen on traveling around in one of those tin cans at the moment.
Would be good to hear first hand experience, so much BS going around it’s hard to figure out what is really happening.

Thanks Milland and Boat Brat, I have the other one on ignore so I didn't read it. I am sure it was some sort of insult and no value info, that he loves to give. I was just looking for what you 2 wrote. I will bring some of those cleaning wipes and gloves, good idea. Yes I have a respirator I suppose I could wear some goggles too....lol...really look dorky, but better safe then sorry. I used to fly all over the globe, but this will be my first trip from Minneapolis to Seattle.

Thanks Milland and Boat Brat, I have the other one on ignore so I didn't read it. I am sure it was some sort of insult and no value info, that he loves to give. I was just looking for what you 2 wrote. I will bring some of those cleaning wipes and gloves, good idea. Yes I have a respirator I suppose I could wear some goggles too....lol...really look dorky, but better safe then sorry. I used to fly all over the globe, but this will be my first trip from Minneapolis to Seattle.

Good grief! Flying Delta. Whole dam' Air Transport industry is in a world of hurt and busting their very skin and bones to be as helpful as they can BE at keeping folks up to date.. literally by the hours and minutes with any changes?

...and ALL you wanted was irrelevant ego strokes from the bystanders?

"look dorky?" Hem's sake, Rich! Delta is bustin' hump to be "there, for you". You are paying them to be in the cost of the ticket!

"Dorky" started with yer post. Already.

Nothing to do with your attire.

No NEED of a face mask nor respirator if you are heading out to board the aircraft with yer head up and locked, ignorant of what your carrier has published and will clarify on the phone if any mystery is unresolved. It's their dam' JOB!

Same again BOTH airports. Same again TSA. Same again your choice of transport or parking. Lodging? Dining? Same again. Both ends.

They ALL do their bizness per prevailing rules and conditions.Federal. State. Local. Eg: In transit. Each end.

They TELL you what is afoot, what to expect, how long it is taking, and what YOU need to do or NOT do, bring-with or NOT bring.

Might be better you just take Alex along, crazy-glue a handle on yer naked back and have him check yer "HUTA" self as excess weight fee leather baggage. "Distress tooled", and custom-made, even?

Surely can't be a second set like it as would justify pink polka-dot stick-ons or such for differentiation?

Not that anyone would challenge that. Lost baggage can be a right bitch to recover.

:(

Ya, I had to sign in before my brain was damaged from his goobly gok crap! heheh :D

Good grief! Flying Delta. Whole dam' Air Transport industry is in a world of hurt and busting their very skin and bones to be as helpful as they can BE at keeping folks up to date.. literally by the hours and minutes with any changes?

...and ALL you wanted was irrelevant ego strokes from the bystanders?

"look dorky?" Hem's sake, Rich! Delta is bustin' hump to be "there, for you". You are paying them to be in the cost of the ticket!

"Dorky" started with yer post. Already.

Nothing to do with your attire.

No NEED of a face mask nor respirator if you are heading out to board the aircraft with yer head up and locked, ignorant of what your carrier has published and will clarify on the phone if any mystery is unresolved. It's their dam' JOB!

Same again BOTH airports. Same again TSA. Same again your choice of transport or parking. Lodging? Dining? Same again. Both ends.

They ALL do their bizness per prevailing rules and conditions.Federal. State. Local. Eg: In transit. Each end.

They TELL you what is afoot, what to expect, how long it is taking, and what YOU need to do or NOT do, bring-with or NOT bring.

Might be better you just take Alex along, crazy-glue a handle on yer naked back and have him check yer "HUTA" self as excess weight fee leather baggage. "Distress tooled", and custom-made, even?

Surely can't be a second set like it as would justify pink polka-dot stick-ons or such for differentiation?

Not that anyone would challenge that. Lost baggage can be a right bitch to recover.

:(

So, you’re putting your faith in the websites of the aviation industry, businesses that are desperate for business and the government, Brilliant.

On a similar note, I recently had to to a long haul international trip from New Zealand to Italy, normally a day and a half to 2 day trip. It took 5 days. Two main reasons, lack of flights meant that the connection times were much longer than normal. But the main one was the rules were changing so fast and often nobody knew what they were, that included different government departments in the same country knowing the rules had changed but not having received the official paperwork to enact them. I got bumped of 2 flights for this.

Richard,

Delta, United, etc. etc., all require masks for the duration of the flight. You can remove them to eat. I flew to a tool shop in Wisconsin last week and they were pretty strict about it. As they should be.

I would take a sammich made by you or your better half rather than eat what a steward/ess has touched.

What are the "dirty" parts of the plane? Tray table is at the top of the list. Very close second is seat back pocket, (diapers, used nose tissue, water bottles with lip prints on them). Bring as many cleaning wipes as possible.

With the current viral load in the US, I would NOT fly commercial. Period.

In a pandemic, you need to take control of your risk factors. You have no control of who is beside you etc.

If your employer forces you to fly and you feel you have no choice, then the facemask goes on before entering the terminal and doesn’t come off until out of terminal on arrival. No exceptions. No food, no drinking on a flight.

Another thought: where are you going to eat at your destination? Restaurants and bars are high risk areas and must be avoided...

Does is sound like I’m advising NO TRAVEL at all this year in the US? You bet it does. Not the answer you wanted.

Lucky7

I have rented a private small house and will cook my own food. That's what I did for my resent trip (I drove)to Oklahoma and had them install a new AC furnace filter. I would hope I would be safer on the plane with all the gear then inside an emergency room at a hospital. I looked into driving to Seattle, but it would take me 5 days driving alone one way. 10 hours a day is a 12 hour drive at my age...lol After reading yours Stan I won't eat or drink anything inside the plane or airport. I could be "chicken little" and go bankrupt. I also plan on taking a change of clothes and put the old clothes in a sealed plastic bag after the flight. Ole a MD from Norway told me to wear a mask and use the wipes but no to worry as the airlines have been cleaning everything. I will take your caution side but will fly. Also thinking of taking the rental car to a dealer and have the cabin filter changed. Thanks everyone..(minus 1)
PS: Stan a couple of students will have some Foster SE's. You would never believe me as I told one to contact him...as his SE's look good...

Thermite gave you the most accurate info "Ask the airline"

Stoopid idjit….

Who "has to eat" on an airline ?

I spent 10 hours on one, nothing needed.

Fortunately I will never have your problem as if I can't drive there I do not go, I have no problem driving 1100 miles a day and that is without going more than 5 over the speed limit. I just don't like being a sardine in a can. Anyway, have the airlines made any changes to the air conditioning systems? I think it is starting to become pretty obvious staying in confined spaces for extended periods of time is what is getting people sick. I think the germs in the air are the concern, not so much the surfaces. A lot of people are getting sick from attending church
and an airplane packs them in tighter than a church does. I would seriously wear whatever you think is necessary to make you feel safe. Who cares if you look like you are preparing for a moon landing, you won't be seeing those people again anyway.

TSA now allows up to 12 oz. of liquid hand sanitizer. Must be pump spray, not aerosol. I carry an 8 oz. spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my car, I use it on my hands after handling the shuttle at the bank drivein, Costs under $4, HP is better than Clorox and doesn't stink things up. Might be good choice to put in your bag.

111.jpg

Like others stated, take your own food. You control what goes in your mouth, you control what germs you pick up.

P.S. I always pick airlines based on the snack varieties if there is a price toss-up.

Wheeheee! Delta lets you choose between pretzels and crackers!

:D:D

Only a family emergency would get me on a commercial airline at this time. Making money is not an emergency. If I couldn't drive I wouldn't go. Period.

Back