What's new
What's new

Friend hurt, lift gate accident, maintenance reminder

laminar-flow

Stainless
A friend was using a van with a hydraulic lift gate and while riding it down balancing the load on a dolly, one of the cables failed which caused the other one to fail and the lift gate fell to the ground. His foot was under the dolly and was crushed and he suffered some other injuries. This is something that he has done for years with no issue. Having helped him a few times, I didn't like it either, but it is the only way to move the type of things he moves.

If I remember correctly, it uses a single hydraulic actuator that pulls on cables.

As an aircraft mechanic for 15 years, I have never seen a cable break, but have seen some quite worn on inspections.

So if you have a similar lift gate, do an annual check on the cables. The typical wear spot is where they go over the pulleys. There is no doubt that dirt was a factor in the wear.

I think that is an illustration of why you shouldn't ride them. Many manufacturers have placards saying not to.

Perhaps, instead of using his body to balance the load he could install ratchet straps or similar to do so? More time consuming but much safer.

Riding doesn't seem to be the problem, balancing the cart with your foot is.

Wear steel toe shoes, and don't use your feet like a 2 x 4....

I don't think a foot was used improperly. Even if a foot was not smashed, one would have been hurt from the fall. The main problem was not inspecting the cables. Hoists, forklifts, etc. Do a yearly inspection of critical parts is always a good idea.

I always say don't stick your fingers where you wouldn't stick your dick, but I guess that goes for feet as well

I watched a guy deliver a wells CNC to my shop a million years ago, ride the lift gate down with it, behind it, between it and the ground.

I did not define the method of transport, just paid to have it moved.

Turned to the guy that worked for me and said, if that fails, we will never get the blood out of the floor

Hope your friend is ok

Riding doesn't seem to be the problem, balancing the cart with your foot is.

Wear steel toe shoes, and don't use your feet like a 2 x 4....

Steel toes are only good for 50 pounds and as I recall not dropped more than 3 feet.

I knew a forklift mechanic who had a foot crushed when a 150 pound fork fell on his foot. He was wearing steel toe boots at the time.

The major rule for anything heavy is to make sure your body parts will never be under it under any circumstances. That includes things that can topple sideways.

I wish a speedy recovery for your friend. Thanks for the reminder on maintenance. A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Thanks G, well said. Being a machinist, engineer, pilot, aircraft mechanic, home owner and parent..., and just about everything else, I learned early on that it is much easer to address issues early rather than after they become a problem.

The problem is most people take material movement and rigging as a no brainer. It goes well most of the time, even if you do half assed things. The problem is when it doesn’t go well- people get hurt or die, and machines get broken.
How many “ I dumped my lathe over” threads have been on here over the years?

I hope your friend heals fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Asking because I also have a cable liftgate, was the worn spot hidden inside the mechanism, or was it visible externally when the gate moved?
Condolences to your friend, crashing sucks.

I don't know, but I would guess, based on years of aircraft inspection, that it was worn where it went around a pulley. But nevertheless, I would inspect everything, from the hydraulic lines (chaffing, leaking), fittings (for security), link pins (where the cotter pin is inserted and one side bent over about 30 degrees!!!), the pulleys (make sure they are turning), the cable terminations (make sure they are not bending the cable causing fatigue), and the cable going around a pulley (the cables usually wear on the inside of the strands from dirt, also corrosion).

Back