What's new
What's new

Getting deliveries and mail with gated drive?

huleo

Hot Rolled
New facility will be in a rural/remote area and we have decided that a fence and electric gate will be the best way to keep the unwanteds out. However, I have yet to figure out how we are going to deal with deliveries and such. Anyone dealt with this? Can a note or special instruction be provided to UPS/FedEx? We are looking at installing a receptacle near the gate but we never have a clue of the size of certain shipments. Easiest is just buzzing them in and open the gate but we may not always be available.

I know lots of shops just leave their gate open during business hours but our intent is to eliminate walk in traffic, sales people, government, etc.

New facility will be in a rural/remote area and we have decided that a fence and electric gate will be the best way to keep the unwanteds out. However, I have yet to figure out how we are going to deal with deliveries and such. Anyone dealt with this? Can a note or special instruction be provided to UPS/FedEx? We are looking at installing a receptacle near the gate but we never have a clue of the size of certain shipments. Easiest is just buzzing them in and open the gate but we may not always be available.

I know lots of shops just leave their gate open during business hours but our intent is to eliminate walk in traffic, sales people, government, etc.

Must be a hundred thousand biznesses, same challenge. Only a few will be on PM.

I'd go and have a phone or email chat with each of UPS and FedEx, tell 'em what's planned.

Ask them how THEY prefer to be accommodated, and what policies might become problematic. They are bound to have both the experience and a response that suits THEM.

"Page Two":

Gate "box" should ring yer mobile, camera shot of who rung it might reach yer mobile as well, and mobiie have a way to open it, even if you are in Africa shagging a Wildebeast, or simply taking a dump that particular moment?

NB: In other words...YOUR camera does NOT have to display to the driver at the gate!

:D

Way we do it is have a keypad at the gate. Give Fed Ex, UPS, suppliers a gate code.

My neighbor and I share a 3/8 mile gravel drive in a secluded rural area. We gated it two years ago and placed large Knaack box next to it. Before emplacement, we informed our regular UPS and FEDEX drivers. They love it and have apparently passed on the details to temp drivers as we have never had a problem. We don't have a good solution for extra large parcels or theft from the box, but in our situation we don't expect a problem. We could provide coverage with a motion activated camera or trail cam, but don't yet see a need. We have also considered leaving an opened padlock in the hasp.
We don't have a good solution for deliveries requiring signature but that is rare for us.

We have also considered leaving an opened padlock in the hasp.
Damn, that is just about a brilliant idea.

With the technology available, a 'buzzer' seems so very 1979. HEll, just post your cell number, wifi widgets can do the rest. I am not a fan of 'Nest' and the like, but individual monitoring solutions can be had.

We have 2 sliding gates next to each other opening in opposite directions, one is operated with a clicker that the wife and I have along with a few close friends, the other gate slides open manually and has a fire department lock on it in case we do lock it the fire department can get in. Our delivery drivers slide it open and come in but those who don't know, see the big red lock and go away or call. When we leave we do lock it but it looks the same locked or not. We have an old time safe sitting beside the mailbox with no locking bars in it that ups, fedex will use if the gate is locked, although if we are going to be gone for an extended time we call and have deliveries held.

Anyone dealt with this? Can a note or special instruction be provided to UPS/FedEx? We are looking at installing a receptacle near the gate but we never have a clue of the size of certain shipments. Easiest is just buzzing them in and open the gate but we may not always be available.

A honk on the horn works around here. Then up comes the door. Seen and heard it many times.
Have yet to hear the honks come out as morse code. Not that many UPS drivers with a ham radio license...

More elegant is to keep a log of driver's faces. A facial reading camera will decide if the mug is that of your driver. Then gate is opened automatically.
Coming to you in the future. The Brits are perfecting these methods with their millions of cameras.

I sell and install these units for about 6 years now... Gate Access Control Products – Video Access Control Solutions | Cell-gate

Does not matter where you are as long as you have cell or wifi, to your phone or tablet, you're always connected to your gate... In fact one of my customers called me and was a little upset... (Just pretended to be).. Said he was on a photo safari in South Africa when his phone rang.. Seems UPS had forgot their code and wanted in his gate... In Livingston Texas :)

It's not inexpensive but it is the best I have ever worked on ....

Bear proof is not too hard to do. They can pull down not up. Arrange handle or entire door so you have to pull up or reach in and up to open it. Or weld a short piece of pipe around handle that is easy to reach in with a human hand but a paw is too big to fit inside. Of course the human will not want to reach into an opening filled with black widows or curled up baby rattle snakes.
Bill D.

Way we do it is have a keypad at the gate. Give Fed Ex, UPS, suppliers a gate code.
My shop has 2 electric double swing gates, there is a key pad out front if shipments are after hours Fed Ex, UPS has there own separate code and our steel supplier have a gate controller. Our system tracks the time/date of each controllers coming and going as well as separate code gate openings after hours..

now that i'm semi-retired i built a shop in an ag area. since i have animals i open the gate by appointment. i just took a covered cattle feeder, closed in one side, put it on the inside of the fence and fenced the "shipping station" in with two man gates - one for outside, one for inside the fence. works great.

i put a sign on the "box" which reads something like "put all deliverys/shipments here" first time usps girl came in i watched her look at the sign, look into the "box" area, repeat a couple times trying to make up her mind then left the package in the dirt right under the sign. she's now trainedship station.jpg

We have also considered leaving an opened padlock in the hasp.
This is dating me but in one of my lives I drove rural bus. We had greyhound express boxes outside many stops and if we were on a night run we simply put the express in the box and inside the box was a hook with a padlock hanging. The driver would lock the box and the express office would open it in the morning.

Back