Getting rid of Ask,com - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Some brain surgeon here banned him for a month. During that month he decided he had it with the whiners on this site and was done with it. Sure he could be a pita but overall it was a loss to the site. I don't stop by as often anymore myself. So many of the real sharp dudes have died or gone missing. I don't get much out of posts that go on and on about the "correct" color for some POS SB. Who cares? I sure don't
    I'd say it was a loss!

His posts were interesting - if you had time to read them.
    Obviously he has time to kill, and he has a lot of wit embedded in each post.
    Read them if you have time, pass if not. It's really not a problem.

Now - if you don't care about the colour of a S/B, why were you reading a thread about S/B's?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    Some brain surgeon here banned him for a month. During that month he decided he had it with the whiners on this site and was done with it. Sure he could be a pita but overall it was a loss to the site. I don't stop by as often anymore myself. So many of the real sharp dudes have died or gone missing. I don't get much out of posts that go on and on about the "correct" color for some POS SB. Who cares? I sure don't
    Qty (2) separate threads started just to call out & complain about him ....

Not very friendly sounding place eh ?

3. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have very mixed feelings about this. First, my limited dealings with Bill personally were pleasant. I sent him a transformer, not an extensive relationship. I do think the argument that led to the ban was out of order. The other protagonist sat out the ban and I think is posting again. OTOH, I think a lot of the rhetoric here is not representative of a professional forum. Most of the name calling is unneeded. I am not suggesting that Don be a censor or language policeman, but we can voluntarily do that ourselves. I don't want to get into a "real men use cuss words" debate here. I think that Bill's language, like some others we all know, depended on how high he tipped the bottle.

Also, this forum has a reputation for intolerance and mean spirited responses, especially to newbies who ask newbie questions. It is supposed to be a forum for professionals, but we all had to start somewhere.

Bill

5. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'd say it was a loss!

Now - if you don't care about the colour of a S/B, why were you reading a thread about S/B's?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Bill had a run-in with Rich King, which surely isn't a hard thing to do, considering that Rich's skin thickness is measured in single digit microns.

The moderator got both of them banned for a month as a time-out.

Rich came back because he continually spams the forum with free advertising for his courses and attacks everyone who dares to show that they know something he doesn't. You can't be the font of all wisdom if someone else knows something they didn't learn from you, after all.

Bill decided he had better things to do with his time.

I think it was a huge mistake banning Bill, and an equally huge mistake not permanently banning Rich King.

So it's a good thing I wasn't a moderator.

PDW

7. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I'd say it was a loss!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I click at least once on everything on "new posts". Paint color is very important to a rattle can restoration you know......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have learned paint color is very important to things due to friend girl who is mildly into colors - she mixes colors for fun hours each day, and techniques. I am color blind, so kinda funny when I get the 'which ones (little swirls on notebook paper) fit the personality' of whatever it is I need some paint on. All in all, she has always picked the best color. She even changed my miller welder blue to a slightly different lighter blue with pearl flecks and cz's set in the dials - it welds prettier now.
    Back to op, I have eliminated google, chrome, and new firefox (chrome kernel) off all my computers. Google really is a fungus and sucks bandwidth more than I thought. After doing it to my phone my data usage dropped by almost a half. The old Toshiba laptops are workhorses, slow, but you can cover them in grinder grit, weld splatter their screen and they just keep going. I finally updated to a mil-spec pro graphics card computer yet still have the Toshiba in the home toy shed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I have learned paint color is very important to things due to friend girl who is mildly into colors - she mixes colors for fun hours each day, and techniques. I am color blind, so kinda funny when I get the 'which ones (little swirls on notebook paper) fit the personality' of whatever it is I need some paint on. All in all, she has always picked the best color. She even changed my miller welder blue to a slightly different lighter blue with pearl flecks and cz's set in the dials - it welds prettier now.
    Back to op, I have eliminated google, chrome, and new firefox (chrome kernel) off all my computers. Google really is a fungus and sucks bandwidth more than I thought. After doing it to my phone my data usage dropped by almost a half. The old Toshiba laptops are workhorses, slow, but you can cover them in grinder grit, weld splatter their screen and they just keep going. I finally updated to a mil-spec pro graphics card computer yet still have the Toshiba in the home toy shed.
    Might want to keep the miller "stock".

It's well know the "white face" millers are older, and the change to "black face" are
    the newer production (same model)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if the same guys who want the original paint scheme on a machine share the same opinion on classic cars? One of my pet peeves is when someone puts a set of 22" spinning rims on a 68 Camaro. To me there is no excuse for that as reasonably priced reproductions of proper period wheels are available.

12. Likes Ox, moonlight machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only proper color for a Camaro is primer grey.

14. Likes Ox, TeachMePlease, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

....."On blocks"....

16. Likes memphisjed, TeachMePlease, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using three primary colors is not an accident. We actually see with three different color cells and the mix is done in our brains, not in our retinas. Some women have a forth color cell which allows them to better see nuances. It is X/Y chromosome linked so men can never have that ability. When your SWMBO agonizes over this or that shade of beige for pillow cases, she really does see a difference that you cannot detect.

My old Toshiba laptop is a frustrating one to use. The screen changes contrast with the tilt angle and the touch mouse is a joke. One time I inadvertently got the tap feature activated so tapping on the pad was equivalent to left clicking a mouse. The pad seems to be electrostatic sensing and it will sense a hand above it without actually touching. Normal typing on the keys above it would set it off. I didn't get anywhere finding Toshiba support and one of the computer advisers at Micro Devices finally got it off but I lost other functions in the bargain.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    ....."On blocks"....

That's a "Fairlane".

Get it right....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the same Toshiba with Windows Vista.
    The touch pad is flush with the rest of the keyboard.
    It's a nightmare and impossible to use with any agility.
    My embarrassment is that I bought this thing new with my eyes wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My '68 is blue metallic Imron..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cranium View Post
    I have the same Toshiba with Windows Vista.
    I simply can't understand why anyone tolerates Vista. It has to be the worst operating system that Microsoft ever produced, possibly anyone ever produced, in a field where there's strong competition.

Windows 7 is pretty decent. Windows 8 caused me to abandon new MS operating systems, hopefully for all time.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    I simply can't understand why anyone tolerates Vista. It has to be the worst operating system that Microsoft ever produced, possibly anyone ever produced, in a field where there's strong competition.

Windows 7 is pretty decent. Windows 8 caused me to abandon new MS operating systems, hopefully for all time.

PDW
    Good, then you never got the pleasure of using the social media experience that is Windows 10. And yes, I mean that to the point where everything you type into the start bar or ask cortana is logged and sold as data. I'm very seriously considering making the jump to Linux, bought a spare boot drive and have a distro of Kubuntu all ready to go when I get the chance to fiddle with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BoxcarPete View Post
    Good, then you never got the pleasure of using the social media experience that is Windows 10. And yes, I mean that to the point where everything you type into the start bar or ask cortana is logged and sold as data. I'm very seriously considering making the jump to Linux, bought a spare boot drive and have a distro of Kubuntu all ready to go when I get the chance to fiddle with it.
    Correct, I have nothing to do with Windows 10. If I had to, I'd be making entries in my hosts table and my router to block access to Microsoft domains except when I decided to allow it.

I already do that on my Apple laptop by running a program that blocks/asks for confirmation for all outbound connections. It's quit horrifying just how many programs want to talk home to mommy.

The last offerings from Apple are pretty underwhelming so I may return to linux on my next laptop. We'll see.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found a way to get away from Ask when it comes up on a search. Do an Ask search for "Google". That will bring up a Google that Ask will not interfere with.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I found a way to get away from Ask when it comes up on a search. Do an Ask search for "Google". That will bring up a Google that Ask will not interfere with.

Bill
    Why go through that hassle? Just get rid of that browser hijacking malware or whatever it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am running the latest version of firefox. Go to the open menu icon, the three horizontal lines, select the options, then choose the search icon on the left. There is a list of search options and search engines. See if ask.com is listed.

Tom