Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google Ads?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    I don't have maps.google.com blocked, BUT... as with EG, with near-as-dammit all ELSE with google*** in it blocked in local DNS so they are never even connected to for wasting of bandwidth in any way, not an "adblocker", which still wastes resources needlessly, the map & satellite loads have become so slow as to be useless.

I've had to go to other mapping providers. Not as good as google once was. But good enough.
    Apart from my Garmin GPS if you know any "mapping providers" that are faster or better than Google Earth it' be good to know what they are. When I put in an address on Google Earth either I get suggestions because of not enough info on my part or it takes less than 1 second.

What I've found is that internet speed tends to depend on where you live.

If I'm going to complain about anything it's that Youtube seems to have many more commercials than it had but as long as it's free I'll live with it.

2. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Apart from my Garmin GPS if you know any "mapping providers" that are faster or better than Google Earth it' be good to know what they are. When I put in an address on Google Earth either I get suggestions because of not enough info on my part or it takes less than 1 second.
    "not enough info on your part"? Taken as stipulated. most days, yah?

About seven minutes to load, here, maps.google.com takes off a 25/25 "commercial" not residential fixed-IP + full-bore IPv6 routing-capable service, internet ONLY at $130/month. Drop is within mortar range of the main East Coast "IX" POP, Northern Virginia side of metro Washington, DC.

By contrast, mapquest takes a second - maybe two - for initial load, finds an address thereafter faster than I can conveniently measure the time elapsed.

As EG mentioned - anything google-ish but maps or raw search is hard-blocked, and in my case, in an OpenBSD firewall and local DNS. NONE of it ever hits my bandwidth - those links are intercepted to /dev/null before a call to the remote box is ever initiated.

Roughly 80% of most folks bandwidth, WinWOES most of all is being parasitized by adverts and malware. Even most adblocking make the call, encryption workload and all - THEN anal-eyes and asides the garbage with use of wasted resurces loaded onto the browser's budget.

A local DNS never takes the first step off-box. And "oh. BTW?" Privoxy is scouting point for dynamic and NEW miscreants - also at superb efficiency vs an overworked browser.

I may have been born around 11 AM of a Tuesday morning, Gordon, but when it comes to networks and their routing and protocols? Well.. with the odd spare part still up in the attic for the Honeywell 6? It sure as Hell was not Tuesday, last.

4. Likes digger doug, barbter, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow this thread has derailed.

OP you didn't respond what kind of work are you looking for? If it's general job shop work I don't think it's for you but if you offer a specific process people are looking for you might get good ROI.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    Not really. There's tons of stuff folks with other expertise don't think about, comes to web stuff actually dong useful good for yah.

One problem not touched on but easily as great a barrier is website devel - in-house most of all - "demoing" snazzy websites off a local laptop in a decision-maker's office or staff conference room - nary a bandwidth limit - or off a "local" high BW server link (mine were exactly ONE "hop" off HKIX or Zurich's equivalent backbone over a share of OC12)...' then WONDERING why the site once put onto pay-for-BW-budget in massive and oft unpredictable or time-of-day sensitive simultaneous user count falls on its nose, and HARD as to delivering to goal.

End-Luser may have - or THINKS he has - 100 mbps ISP link - even far more.

Guy renting the 42U racks (Ich) could get by with a lowly Via C3 for its built-in encryption engine *BSD's make good use of. Even a known-hostile (and logged.) CIDR in PRC could not DDOS the valiant little f***er.

Customer was only paying for 1 Mbps of hard-limited international bandwidth.. which simply saturated first. Of course, given a C3 on a *BSD can saturate a 100 mbps local LAN with ease!

A different client needed daily updates to the firewall rules because some arsehole in Japan had decided to feed the site in Hong Kong - meant to pump Macau's "entertainment" industry to mainland Chinese who would actually visit and SPEND - through a "portal" to Japanese dreamers who only wanted to watch the videos of the shows and drool over the world-class chef's meal preparations on videos for free. Left unmonitored, that wudda sucked-up all THAT client's pay-for-what-you-use international bandwidth - Hell of a lot more than just the ONE Mbps - as well. Nachurly, the Japanese site was whoring adverts of his own as had no more to do with Macau than ladies underwear has to do with cutting tools.

Advertising critters bring you all this content for "free"? Not until they have stolen it first from those who actually contribute the content and PAY the invoices for servers and their bandwidth, they do not.

In the more general case, ordinary visitors will abandon a site within a few seconds for some other provider's faster, simpler website that actually completes a page load near-as- dammit "right now" AND has choice-making or even basic site navigation buttons that still WORK when ECMA-script/javashit is optioned OFF by even a MILDLY security-conscious end-Luser.

That "too troublesome, just move on" shite will kill the site's ROI dead as last year's news.

That basic.

That often overlooked in favour of far too much snazzy eye-candy and off-server referrals than can be slow as all get-out but concealed by those artsy-fartsy local demos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barrelroll View Post
    the dynamic duo, with nothing to do all day, make that a frequent occurrence., I agree with your point.

8. Likes Newman109, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    the dynamic duo, with nothing to do all day, make that a frequent occurrence., I agree with your point.
    Thanks for that. There's TWO votes we've gotten it right, then.

Again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

didn't read the whole thread but I use them and get quite a bit of work off of it. you can control how much you spend and area of work. at the beginning of the month the calls pour in from potential move ins to the area. WAY cheaper than the phone books. plus it helps get your business closer to the first page of search. you will deal with a lot of tire kickers though and you just paid for the privilege of talking to a time waster. I dont know how much it would help a business to business company though.l I have got several contractors through it also though. everything you do to get your name out there helps nothing is a magic bullet though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    you will deal with a lot of tire kickers though and you just paid for the privilege of talking to a time waster.
    THIS .. paid-for or free - and reducing it.. has been seen as crucial to the success of ANY business.

There IS NO "upper bound" on how many time-wasters can exist. There is only a practical limit on how many hours in an otherwise productive day they may be allowed to divert from earning your own crust.

How to handle that "depends", but a late Uncle found a way that worked for him.

He was in the dry cleaning business, smalltime Buckhannon, WV. Good enough at it, he gradually bought-up all his competitors, first Upshur County, then nearby Weston, County seat of Lewis county as well.

Last one standing, he did the usual as far as goods submitted at the front counter going out the back door to his large and modern (for the times, anyway) central cleaning plant.

But on that last one?

He did NOT put his name on it.

Customers wanted to waste his time arguing he shudda been able to get paint or semen stains out of an over-age-in grade silk sheet already falling apart from rot?

"Well.. hate to send a good customer away, but if you feel that strongly about it, may as well go across town to my competitor."

Whom they then proudly bragged about, of course.

All the while their fabric hitting the same cleaning plant, and their money hitting the same bank account!

But time-wasting arguments were no longer involved.