What's new
What's new

Haas battery/circuit and coolant filter replacement issues on brand new machine

iloveTXBBQ

Plastic
I purchased a new Haas VF-2 from the factory and have since had to replace the coolant filter system $500, and now the battery backup circuit board ($550). The problem is for whatever reason, the mill didn't notify us that the battery would need replacing and after a cold front just went dead so we lost our perimeters (hence the $550 cost + machine down for 3 days). The thing that pisses me off is Haas had a replacement for both of these issues BEFORE I purchased the machine.

I don't care about the money but I do care about down time. Does anyone have experience with seeking compensation in this type of situation or do I just grab my ankles?

Where is your parameter back up? was one not made during install after all the tweaks were done? Any tech should be making a good backup for you and him to keep as well when done with the install.

I don't know what Haas is using/doing or how a $550 board would have to be changed due to a dead battery, WTF? if the part failed then seems like that would be warranty if its brand new.
A bit of cold shouldn't bother it, my cnc mill (fanuc) came in at -30°C after a week on a truck in February and I didn't change that $20 memory/parameter battery until 5yrs later and it was still good. So I can't imagine a "cold front" down in Texas doing eff all.

so let me see if I under stand this ? you say you have a "NEW" vf2 from the factory ?

Haas quit using battery to hold up the perimeters about 3 1/2 "YEARS" ago when they came out with the next gen control ... it has a watch battery that holds up the clock "ONLY" ( if it goes dead you can still run the machine )

and it sound like your talking about the old junk plastic filter they quit using back in early 2016 when they changed to the cast alum one that is way better ...

what is the build date on the back of the machine?

I read back in your old threads and it looks like your talking about the Haas from june of 2016?

That would track with the Battery holding up the perimeters and the plastic coolant filter.

So over the last 4 years you have bad a battery go dead and a coolant filter that needed replacing and it cost you 3 days of down time and your seeking compensation for the 3 days it was down?

Yeah its a 2016. The Z bearings are on their way out too. The issue isn't that I was down 3 days and spent $1000. The issue is that they had the fix before they sold me the machine. It should have been upgraded.

Yeah its a 2016. The Z bearings are on their way out too. The issue isn't that I was down 3 days and spent $1000. The issue is that they had the fix before they sold me the machine. It should have been upgraded.

They will gladly upgrade anything you like...just tell them what to upgrade and pay for it.

Yes, the battery backup has been around for a bit...they were offering as an upgrade when buying new. I opt for that when they are around the battery...or I show a low battery alarm at startup.

Backups for parameter and programs is on you.

Also to catch the "Low Battery" alarm is on you. It really does suck as its only a quick message at power up then goes away. I missed it as well on one machine. My usual morning startup is to go around to each machine and hit the Power On button, go around again and Power Up button, around again and start the warm up cycle. Make coffee,catch up on emails and by then guys are in to run machines. I never hang around Control long enough to catch the Low battery...gotta make time to take a look, it goes on for several days before battery quits.

I screwed up when my tech said don't worry about it, he hot swaps and then proceeded to lose them all anyway. HFO met me someplace in the middle after I asked how long does it take to change a battery.
What really pissed me off it I left machine on all weekend as I saw on a Friday...tech made it in for 10am and spent the rest of the day working on it. Lost a day on a day I needed machine...paid a guy to clean machines all day...no parts made.
Again, it was on me.

Z axis bearings toast?? Thats real odd...have 12 machines and haven't had an issue with a bearing. Tomorrow that may change as I just said something. Switches, thrust bearing loosening, motors, boards. encoders, keypads, clutches, gearbox...Z axis bearings, thats odd.

Back