What's new
What's new

Have You Installed Radiant Tube Heaters Yourself?

munruh

Hot Rolled
Have any of you installed a radiant tube heater? I have my new 32 x 40 x 14 ft side wall shop and need to get heat into it by winter. I have priced a radiant tube heater and looks reasonable. Are they are difficult to install? Can I do it my self or am I going to need to hire a heating guy?

Very easy to install if you are comfortable with this stuff.
At 32 foot wide with only a 14 ft ceiling ( you need 1-2/2-2 foot above the heater) you might not be happy with the dispersion across the shop.
I'd be looking at 2.
Also be aware that any precision machines will be very unhappy if part of them is looking directly at one of these heaters at this distance.
They work best if they heat the isles between machines.
I have GordonRays in my shop and we move them when we rearrange machines to keep the hot spots away.
They heat what they "shine" on, not the air. Think of them as a row of heat lamps. You do not want one pointing at the end of your black surface plate.

(disclaimer: You can take what I know about HVAC, put it in a 10 lb bag, and have room left for 12 lbs. of shit.)
Bob

I think the OP means one like this. We did one last fall inside our plant to heat our shop area, and it was dead simple to install and works great. All it needs is a gas line and a vent tube. We hung ours from chains.

Back