Health Insurance Check in . . . - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the things that no one caught before passing Obamascam, was the massive increase of indirect costs to all healthcare providers. As an example, my gp is part of a 10 doctor group, situated in 2 buildings, about 6 miles apart. For the new building, to get the required bandwidth and data speeds to use the government required, offsite, record keeping system, the group had to pay for laying and maintaining almost 1.5 miles of fibre optic backbone. They were the sole user until recently of that backbone. Their cost, up until several new drops were added, was a little over $6k a month. Because of the new reporting requirements and record keeping, the staff that did the paperwork and insurance work for the group, went from 8 people to 49 people and an IT staff of 1, go to 6 people. 6 of those 49 do nothing but deal with Medicare/Medicaid, while the rest deal with everything else. So, right there, you are talking about over a 3M$ a year jump in costs, without even seeing any patients.

Now couple that with a monstrosity for bill coding, and it's easy to see why there is a steep climb every year in premiums, and a push to reduce usage. I've had the billing people at dr's office to have to spend several hours on the phone trying to get the insurance company to fix a messed up bill. Even insurance companies' own people can't seem to get it right more than half the time. I've had bills go back and forth over a code number so many times, it's frustrating.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I definitely feel for all of you. I have some great friends in the USA and we have talked and compared the Canadian system and I will count myself lucky.
    The Canadian system is far from perfect and we pay dearly for it through taxes but at least everyone is covered. Wait times can be long to get some surgery done but if its an emergency it is dealt with very quickly.
    The couple of instances where i was grateful was when I had a 24 ft fall and was airlifted to hospital and had many rounds of surgeries including radial nerve surgery to my right arm in another city.The total cost to me was $0
    Another instance was my infant son was diagnosed with Leukemia and the sick kids hospital was a 16 hour drive so a small aircraft was chartered and his nurse and my wife went with him to get him to the sick kids hospital. Although the end result was not good the cost to us was still $0.
    Just these two instances alone would have killed me financially if I didn't have health coverage.
    When I look at things I think although our taxes are higher our wages are also higher and in the end the take home is probably about equal to my American friends. I hope that someday a system can be put in for the states that would work to cover everyone without having to go broke for it.
    Again I am not flaunting the Canadian system as it has many flaws but I think there could be a lot to learn by both countries on taking care of their citizens especially as we are getting to be much older.
    Good topic and an interesting read.
    Cheers
    Pete

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
    One of the things that no one caught before passing Obamascam, was the massive increase of indirect costs to all healthcare providers.
    If you hadn't shown bias right away with your "Obamascam" what you wrote might have been more credible.

Healthcare for all might be cheaper for each individual if all contributed. As it is don't those that do pay (insurance etc.) also pay for those that pay nothing?

No country has the perfect system but I'd rather be in Canada than the USA if things went wrong.

Healthcare in Canada - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am 50 and pay for me and my two kids and wife $702 per month. Work is supposed to pay $150 but they didn't do it pre tax so it ended up being $106 because "they made a mistake". Our test lab has only 20 people so they are under no obligation to pay for anything .The owner wants to pay half, but the board won't let him. I live in Buffalo. I don't feel so bad. We use Fidelis, its ok but certainly not perfect. MUCH cheaper than Blue Cross Blue Shield.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I am 50 and pay for me and my two kids and wife $702 per month. Work is supposed to pay $150 but they didn't do it pre tax so it ended up being $106 because "they made a mistake". Our test lab has only 20 people so they are under no obligation to pay for anything .The owner wants to pay half, but the board won't let him. I live in Buffalo. I don't feel so bad. We use Fidelis, its ok but certainly not perfect. MUCH cheaper than Blue Cross Blue Shield.
    As a machinist here your wage would be around $58,000 a year. Your tax would be around $20,400. How much of that tax money would go to healthcare I don't know exactly but what it would cover is your healthcare (doctor, hospital etc.) education including college and university, 5 weeks annual vacation, sick leave pay, 1 year maternity pay (most of that for the mother ) old age pension, old folks home when or if necessary and of course everything else your tax money goes to in the USA.

The bottom line is I feel I get my money's worth

Welfare
    -The official website of Denmark

Denmark 11 - Taxes and the Tax System - Ep. 36 - YouTube

6. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post

Only when we make the hard decisions between "can we" and "should we", will we be able to control costs.

+1

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This shit is just depressing... and now all they are blabbing about on the news is who groped who and when. Its a fucking three ring circus and I'm not entertained.

9. Likes SND, kpotter, tinman13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The prices in your quoted list are all about one digit less here in the uk heart transplant costs are more like 40-50K here. Is the UK NHS perfect hell no, but overall the system works well for most of us. Equally your very much free to chose private over here if you can afford it too. All in (NHS and Private) the uk averages just below 10% of GDP, the USA averages 17% of GDP yet you score lower than us results wise on so many different scoring systems. A big big part of that health care bill is old age care too.

Its time to ask why spending 2/3rds more is not getting real results? Thats becoming ever more the bit our NHS is being pushed on, real tangible measurable results for the cost. Equally treatment strategies are changing, ever more effort is being put on fast track treatments that then improve outcomes and reduce longer term costs. things like stroke care are changing rapidly over here, its being realised that fixing a whole bunch of things faster - ahead of time preventively actually reduce long term costs. Weather we like it or not its generally far better that a few thousand people get things like cataract treatment than 1-2 people get a new mega expensive wonder drug that only buys them another month or 2. Part of the decision of drug financing over here is not just based on cost, but very much based on return on that cost, ever more off brand drugs are being issued. New drugs are haveing to have the trial data to really show benfits worth there costs. Hell my last asthma review costs were mentioned and discussed, net result i got to try a different approach treatment wise, more than 1/4rd the cost and it actually works better too. not just cost to the NHS, but reduced my prescription costs from 3 items down to 2 saving me a few quid every other month. Our NHS of old would have just kept repeating the old expensive branded drug.

How does UK healthcare spending compare internationally? | Visual.ONS

Weather we like it or not a given life is only worth x amount to a given country. Its a basic simple hard fact, were still animals and were still replaceable. But i do think you guys in the USA need to look at your health system and really kick it up the ass - try something new, because your getting screwed and your very much paying to be sick - not getting value for money at all.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Just another example of unintended consequences of regulation.
    Would you rather have lost World War II ?

I don't like all the stupid hassling that the governments do now either but c'mon. WW II was seventy years ago. The health care crap is about twenty years old. Pulling the old "government regulation always evil" chant out our ass at every opportunity is kinda dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizingkid View Post
    This shit is just depressing... and now all they are blabbing about on the news is who groped who and when. Its a fucking three ring circus and I'm not entertained.
    You gottit. Divert their small minds for another week with a shiny toy, that's our responsible press and politics ! Yay !

btw, would you Canadians and Englanders please shut up ? I have it on good author -- no, the best ! authority, from every self-made Marlboro Man in the country ! that the US med system is THE WORLD'S BEST ! Canada and Angland are awful ! Socialized medicine with death squads, pee euw ! no one wants that !

So please, keep your reality-based observations to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
    I’m sure this is still happening and the burdens forced on the hospitals and doctors is enormous. They have no other options but to work the system as best they can legally if they are going to survive.
    Sooo, one question : if the hospital business is so awful, why do financially-oriented companies like Sutter Health Care go around buying up all the community hospitals they can get their hands on ? Is it because they are genuine altruists dedicated to bringing us better health care at great cost to themselves ? And the profits are inconsequential ? You are saying there is no money to be made in the hospital biz after all, just cut those boys loose and prices will drop through the floor ? like when we gave Goldman-Sachs free reign in banking because it was in their rational best interest to be scrupulously honest and deliver prime quality services ?

Seems like I heard this schtick before somewhere ?

12. Likes Ox, Modelman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Along with the overall problem of increasing costs, which may doom the employer supplied model that we have grown up with, is the more alarming cost by age difference.
    Now a popular arrangement in the health insurance industry yet sort of against the model on which "insurance" is supposed to work where the risk is spread evenly. ( A house in a city is more likely to get caught in a block fire, A poorly built or small boat is more likely to sink).

For sure older people are more likely to need more health care but should the system eat this or should you pay 10X as you age?
    A 24 year old will have one view, at 54 maybe different.

This incentivizes employers to use a younger workforce and gently persuade older or people who get married to leave.
    Totally illegal to show bias this way .... but big cost gains means rules will get bent.

Do we end up where we need to pay a guy with 25 years experience less than one with 5 years to make up the difference?
    A decreasing pay scale as you age or have a family?
    We are headed this way as we now have the once unheard of "employee contribution" as a standard way of passing off some of this cost.

The rate increase per year is simply unsustainable and eventually the balloon pops but I have thought and voiced this since the 80's and nothing changes so not sure where, when or how this plays out.
    In the 70s you gave fully paid insurance as a matter of fact, now you back charge the employees a bit or more.
    Maybe you just up the employee section, maybe you just do not offer health insurance, maybe you keep a young workforce, ......

Kudos to Motion for throwing out some very solid numbers to think about.
    Some here are 1 to 8 man shops. What do you do in this mess and how does it affect your dollar per hour rate?
    Should employers have a moral responsibility to provide a gold plated Cadillac health plan to workers?
    How much, if any, should be covered in employee deductions? Do we ramp this percentage up as costs pass what we can charge?

Old school but I am dead set against the employee having to pay in.
    Have always reviewed this cost with all and let them know the added onto their paycheck but never deducted from them.
    This model is perhaps a bygone era.

Motion, did you once have 100% company covered? Did the rate of increase force you or is this just the new way that all do it?

Other countries are interesting and maybe better or worse but as shop owners we have what we have and must work inside it.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ But do you have to work inside it? Whats to stop you doing a direct deal with a local hospital for health care for your staff? Cut out the insurance, cut out the middle men and run it your selves? Surely thats a simple economic option in the kinda country you live in. By getting rid of the insurance middle men and there profit centre surely you can directly buy health care cheaper as your not paying them profit?

You don't pay off a cartel to buy your steel as a business, why pay off the insurance cartels to buy your business related health care???

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    ^ But do you have to work inside it? Whats to stop you doing a direct deal with a local hospital for health care for your staff? Cut out the insurance, cut out the middle men and run it your selves? Surely thats a simple economic option in the kinda country you live in. By getting rid of the insurance middle men and there profit centre surely you can directly buy health care cheaper as your not paying them profit?

You don't pay off a cartel to buy your steel as a business, why pay off the insurance cartels to buy your business related health care???
    The finance guys who really care about our health. People have tried something like you suggest : There was a group of doctors back east who set up a kind of a "health club." One radiologist, one ears nose throat, one heart, one bone guy, and so on. Not everything but they had the major stuff covered. People could join the club, pay a monthly fee, and go to whichever doc they wanted for "free". Sort of similar to Kaiser but at a much lower level. Everybody loved it, saved people money, docs were happy.

Insurance companies had them shut down, claiming they were running an "unlicensed insurance plan."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid. (Of course I am an American too, buy I only qualify for one of those attributes.)

The Americans that actually work, we live our lives driving new $60K+ vehicles every few years, expensive houses stuffed full of expensive furniture, spend thousands every year on Christmas gifts, thousands every year going on vacation, eating out, cell phones, jewelry, makeup, hairdos, tattoos, etc.

Yet somehow, after living our life this way, when we get into our 50's/60's/70's, we expect the health care system to keep us alive and healthy -- and we actually believe most of the cost should come out of other people's pockets.

And of course the 40% or so of adult Americans who don't work (for whatever reason), assume health care is a birthright.

Americans live their lives in immature, ridiculous ways. It's all about materialism, good-times-now, keeping up with the Jones, trying to be something we are not.

It's all a house of cards, and the sooner it crumbles, the better off we will all be.

ON EDIT: Anthem BCBS actually pointed me to "healthcare.gov" a few years ago for insurance, even though I had purchased directly from them for almost 2 decades. Since I make less than $60k salary at the shop, I actually get a small subsidy, courtesy of Joe Taxpayer. I buy insurance for myself (50), my daughter (17), and my one full-time employee (44), and it's about $1K per month total.

I purchase the "Bronze" plan, (which is the cheapest, and I believe has changed this year), it has almost $6k deductible for each person, with a max out-of-pocket for each person each year of about $14k. It pays basically nothing on prescription drugs, and nothing on dental or vision care.

ToolCat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    As a machinist here your wage would be around $58,000 a year. Your tax would be around $20,400. How much of that tax money would go to healthcare I don't know exactly but what it would cover is your healthcare (doctor, hospital etc.) education including college and university, 5 weeks annual vacation, sick leave pay, 1 year maternity pay (most of that for the mother ) old age pension, old folks home when or if necessary and of course everything else your tax money goes to in the USA.

The bottom line is I feel I get my money's worth

Welfare
    -The official website of Denmark

Denmark 11 - Taxes and the Tax System - Ep. 36 - YouTube
    One of the reasons your wages are 58K is because most companies also must pay about 30K in healthcare insurance cost. If the health care cost would be financed by taxes that 30K would come to you as wages on which you would pay additional taxes to cover a single payer system. Given the overall cost of health care being average 30% cheaper on a single payer system anywhere in the world you would end up with more money in your pocket, But shit, none of you trust the government to do anything good for you. And why should you? You elected assholes who just want to tax you more and give it to the corporations and the ultra rich .

dee
    ;-D

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    none of you trust the government to do anything good for you. And why should you? You elected assholes who just want to tax you more and give it to the corporations and the ultra rich .
    Have to laugh because this is so true. Also have to laugh at all the lefties who are incensed about Trump's "fake news" statements. The thing is, he's right. Not that it will matter but the media of the US spends all its time and efforts rabble-rousing "communist ! socialist ! death panels !" and other opinion-based bullshit instead of reporting the facts. But because Trump said it, all the children on the rag just have to deny it

@adama - I forgot one other important feature that would kill your intelligent "just contract directly with the hospitals" plan. At least in northern California but a good guess is elsewhere as well, the hospitals are no longer owned by the cities where they live. Finance groups such as Sutter Health Care have bought up all the local hospitals they can and they run them as cash cows, not as medical facilities. The hospitals are in bed with the insurance companies. Goal is to maximize profits and minimize "costs" (aka actual medicial care for the best-beloved patients) and they do it very well. Not a chance in hell they'd contract with small local companies.

19. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    ^ But do you have to work inside it?......

Because that sort of defeats the purpose of insurance.
    What happens to you 10 man shop when suddenly one of your employees needs to eat a few million dollars in health care or has a baby born with lifelong severe problems..... file bankruptcy?

The other part is that the insurance companies "negotiate" rates to get a lower cost than your company can.

Some places are "self-insured". Here you buy a very cheap policy that only begins to pay once you reach a very huge number of dollars spent.
    If you hit this number you have shelled out Motion's dollars anyways in direct payments so no savings, if your costs are low you win.
    These plans are normally administrated by one or more of the standard carriers so your employee sees a Blue cross card or such but actually the bills come 100% to you.
    You do pay a very small fee for handling the paperwork and this only works if you have a large enough workforce to spread the risk in fact becoming your own "pool".
    At one time I was just large enough to consider this option seriously and if you keep your work force young it can be a winning plan.
    Downside was another shop I knew well had the child born with serious and expensive problems so rolling the dice seemed not so good as my "pool" would not have been large enough.

Not sure now but for decades GM was self-insured but the employees only saw it as a Blue-Cross, Hap, etc, plan.
    If you did want to handle it all on your add in your expenses of processing claims, arguing prices, etc. so add a full time employee just to handle the mess of paper and forms involved.

It is not the insurance companies that are the problem as much as we like to kill the messenger and think the problem simple.
    It is the billed cost of healthcare here in the US which has many complicated reasons behind it and has proven to be very hard to fix.

We want and expect the best and our tech and specialization has outgrown our ability to pay for it.

I, in no way blame the insurance companies and find it strange or silly those that do.
    (sure that will make me friends... not)
    Wonder if maybe some providing the care or skills at very high salaries got into it for the money more than caring about people.....
    Then there is the sue everyone part which does not help and makes people cover their butt with added costs.

It is a mess but will have to reach critical mass and explode before any real changes can take place.
    A real part of this is the action of pushing costs to the employee where they feel the pain also.
    At what point do we all get this train wreck coming? We simply can not sustain the increases.

There is no easy way out, any real course correction means never being elected again so that avenue is shut down.
    No more employer provided and 50+% of your take home to lead a revolt???
    Long ago the price of health care exceed the price of steel in a car.
    The consumer is not buying a product built, they are buying health care for the people who work in that factory.
    Want a custom machine refit done by Motion? Expensive and not so much that he is overpaying his people or is greedy but simply trying to pay his bills and this bill is growing way to fast to cover.
    Bob

21. Likes Ziggy2, metlmunchr liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    What happens to your 10 man shop when suddenly one of your employees needs to eat a few million dollars in health care or has a baby born with lifelong severe problems..... file bankruptcy?
    Nope. You face the fact that we are all mortal and one day you're gonna go.

That's a major underlying problem with all this stuff. I am personally not willing to work another fifteen years so that a crack baby with a cleft palate can live an extra six months. People crying about "death squads" ... well ya know, we didn't design the damn universe but no matter what people think, we do have to live within its rules. We are all going to die; if an employee gets something that's going to take a few million dollars then maybe his time has come.

23. Likes Ox, SND, AlexO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    Nope. You face the fact that we are all mortal and one day you're gonna go.

That's a major underlying problem with all this stuff. I am personally not willing to work another fifteen years so that a crack baby with a cleft palate can live an extra six months. People crying about "death squads" ... well ya know, we didn't design the damn universe but no matter what people think, we do have to live within its rules. We are all going to die; if an employee gets something that's going to take a few million dollars then maybe his time has come.
    So true but the view becomes different if your spouse or child needs things modern medicine can do but are very expensive.
    It's not just "crack babies", birth defects occur from good parents, kill off the weak?
    Problems arise as how do you handle a sick employee. Perhaps his time has come but what are the options.
    Do you fire people who get cancer or major heart problems? Maybe cull your staff to only healthy young people?

You get colon cancer, gone, seen that done. We only want good people, can't afford the lost time.
    You are not a "good" person you are a "sickee". We need parts shipped. That is how we make money.

Is there a social and moral responsibility that a shop owner takes on for his/her staff?

Are they your people and family or just cannon fodder to be discarded if their costs becomes high?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    So true but the view becomes different if your spouse or child needs things modern medicine can do but are very expensive.
    It's not just "crack babies", birth defects occur from good parents, kill off the weak?
    Problems arise as how do you handle a sick employee. Perhaps his time has come but what are the options.
    Do you fire people who get cancer or major heart problems? Maybe cull your staff to only healthy young people?

You get colon cancer, gone, seen that done. We only want good people, can't afford the lost time.
    You are not a "good" person you are a "sickee". We need parts shipped. That is how we make money.

Is there a social and moral responsibility that a shop owner takes on for his/her staff?

Are they your people and family or just cannon fodder to be discarded if their costs becomes high?
    Bob
    This is why *every other First World country* spreads the risk pool over the entire tax-paying population.

But you guys are so exceptional, you know that doing that is wrong and cannot ever work. Regardless, it does work adequately. I've had a long-standing involvement in neonatal screening, I wrote the software that covers 70% of Australian births and spend time in the labs every year talking with the scientists & doctors. I know how we treat our newborns with genetic disorders. There's no chance a child will be left untreated once diagnosed unless the parents make it so, and there's no chance whatsoever that the treatment will bankrupt the family.

As I've said, sooner or later your system is going to collapse under its own contradictions. Meanwhile it's suppressing the wages payable to staff and still delivering shitty outcomes.

PDW

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It can be agreed the USA has the highest healthcare costs in the world. What everyone forgets to mention is the USA has developed over 50% of all medications. I would assume we would also develop over half of the techniques and devices. So for a country that has 4.4% of the worlds population pays for a disappropriate percentage of the worlds health innovation. It could be said the rest of the world is free loading on the backs of the citizens of the USA.