What's new
What's new

Health Insurance, how much does your shop pay towards premiums?

msmco

Aluminum
We are looking at redoing our health insurance for the upcoming year and I am interested in hearing how much does your company pay towards your individual health insurance? I know there are a few places that cover all of it for the employee and that is great, but with our increasing premium cost that may not be an option. What do you or does your employer pay towards your premium cost each week/month?

Under current tax law it is better for employees if you pay all the insurance cost rather then them paying some portions from after tax income. The insurance premiums you pay are not taxable income for employees and I belive they have some tax advantages to you.
Bill D

They pay 50% and I pay 50% before tax. The brand of insurance played a big part in deciding if I was going to continue working at this company more than the price i would have to pay. I'd much rather pay a bit more for name brand PPO insurance than no name BS that doesn't cover anything like I had at my last company.

I have paid from nothing a week at a couple differant companies all the way up to 180 a week. You could make it so your insurance covers employees from day one also, that makes you company more appealing to furture applicants.

If you have a grandfathered plan, you can't reduce the percentage of the insurance you pay or you loose grandfather status.

I pay 75% of my employees premium and 50% of their dependents. Used to pay 100% of employee and dependents until about 5 years ago. We are still on a grandfathered plan, if we have to go on a compliant plan things will have to change. I would be looking at double the cost because most of my employees are young healthy males and premiums reflect that.

That makes no sense if you have mostly young healthy males why would rates go up? Is that related to them having young wives who get pregnant.
Bill D

We pay 75% of employee and 30% on their spouse and dependents. One cost saving measure for Health Benefits is to join a PEO. If you are not familiar with PEO's they are like a pool. Where they take several companies in and then pool all their employees into a very large group and use that buying power to get large discount from health insurance providers. Some of the companies that offer PEO plans are Paychex, ADP and Paycom to name a few. We were able to save about 20% on our health insurance by doing this.

We pay 75% of employee and 30% on their spouse and dependents. One cost saving measure for Health Benefits is to join a PEO. If you are not familiar with PEO's they are like a pool. Where they take several companies in and then pool all their employees into a very large group and use that buying power to get large discount from health insurance providers. Some of the companies that offer PEO plans are Paychex, ADP and Paycom to name a few. We were able to save about 20% on our health insurance by doing this.

I believe that if your company starts to have too many claims, that the other members can kick you out to save their rating.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I started to go through the procsess of getting insurance for our employees but I could not afford it. I wanted to provide legitimate coverage not the crap that has huge deductibles. I figured I would need to gross another 350 grand to generate the profit to cover the insurance but to raise the 350 grand I would need to hire more people. I hope they fix it someday

Pay 100 percent for individuals and family. Blue cross with 3000. individual 6000 family deductible. It has gotten expensive since the aca kicked in.

The ACA forced private insurers to take on 22-million more people, most of which pay very little towards the total cost of their premiums.

The government promised to subsidize the insurers in order to make it work financially for them. The government has not even come close to the reimbursements they promised.

So, the private insurers have to make it up somehow.

So, everyone else who actually is paying for their own insurance, is now paying a lot more to make up the difference.

You can't add 22 million to the ranks of the insured for almost free, the money has to come from somewhere.

Our corp is self-insured, but managed by a health insurer. I pay I think $180 / month for spouse and I + $100/month penalty because she is offered insurance and elects to remain on mine because what is offered her as a county employee is awful insurance with a super-high premium. But, it's a $500/person deductible, $3000/per max out of pocket per year, 80/20% insurance. Talking with other folks in the region and what is offered, ours is by far the best in the area. We also offer a HSA/High deductible plan which is a really good option for the younger, healthy folks.

..... What do you or does your employer pay towards your premium cost each week/month?

Has to depend on the plan and coverage and how much you like your employees.
"Golden" coverage which used to be the norm is expensive. It can add $15 per hour to your base pay rate.
So you go down the ladder with coverage and shove some of this into a employee pre-tax payment.

The rates will not continue to go up, simply get use to this, it does not stop.
Being pissed won't help and will make your decisions worse, I've been around the block on this since the 70s.

It is an enormous cost, your employees will not appreciate any of it.
You can put the pain onto them as needed.
Some shops just say enough and anything above billed outside. That bill being the EE.
Or cost of living and the extra.
Or this is what it cost us to have people making parts and taking care of them.

It is messy to say the least.
You did agree to take people on and that assumes some responsibility like it or not.
It would be profitable or maybe survivable to make them pay a half or all or any rise but how many year do you do this.

If I'd done this when a family was $300 on platinum plan and the employee now pays the excess..... I'm gonna pay you $25 per hour but there is a $17 per hour deduction.

A part of this discussion has to do with your age that can not be denied.
At 30 something my view of this is different than than at 60+.
Not because of my own (I've never been to a doctor in the last 35 years) but because of my employees.

You sign up to to in some way take care of your people. The costs run over what you signed up for.
What do you do?
Bob

When Obamacare started I would bump up the guys salaries to cover the premium (cost me about $1.50 per hour). Since that is all screwed up now I am starting to shop around. Probably going to go with the ADP plan because it is the easiest for me and their workmans comp setup has been ok so far.

Back