What's new
What's new

Hearing loss...

Phil in Montana

Stainless
My hearing has been going down hill for a while, the hearing outfit says its from the machining ... anyone have any luck with work comp on this type of thing?...Phil

It is a documentation item. Firefighter and police unions advise that hearing tests be done early in the career to document the loss of hearing over the course of the career, relative to other occupations.
So, IMHO, if you don't have the documentation, you have a tough row to hoe to get what you expect.

Chazsani

Sent from my G-Code editor @ 300kbs

I'm sorry for your situation, but I hope some of the younger forum members will read the thread and start taking hearing protection seriously. I've been wearing muffs since ~1990, and I'm very glad I did. Not too much degradation* over the last thirty years.

*Well, the body's gone to hell, but at least the ears still work!

I wish I could go back and undo some stupid stuff involving un-muffled go-kart engines, Detroit Diesels, and rotary swagers. I am way more careful now. My hearing is still decent at age 61, but certainly not going to get any better.

A lot of the hearing loss with age is genetic. My Dad's hearing held up quite well into his late 80s, yet he was around machinery and engines all his life. My Mom, on the other hand, was a homemaker, and is deaf as a post without hearing aids.

I think a big part of hearing loss is genetic, about the only time I use hearing protection is when I run hex bars in a bare metal feed tube, I can still hear a pin drop at 50 paces and I am 60 years old. I have known many a guy start suffering hearing issues in their 40's who the loudest noise they heard at work was a pencil dropped on a floor. I don't see how you could get work comp from machining based hearing loss when you could still machine if completely deaf.

I'm sorry for your situation, but I hope some of the younger forum members will read the thread and start taking hearing protection seriously. I've been wearing muffs since ~1990, and I'm very glad I did. Not too much degradation* over the last thirty years.

*Well, the body's gone to hell, but at least the ears still work!

Sage advice that I wish I would have followed. 35% loss of hearing in both ears and have been fitted with hearing aids. Nothing replaces natural hearing, nothing.....

There's hearing loss, then there's Tinnitus

I used to fly model airplanes, some of the rear exhaust engines are extremely noisy, and one too many Motorhead concerts which were none to be on the higher end of noisy concerts.

My hearing is not good, sometimes my wife has to shout at me, for me to understand what she's saying.

The hearing loss I can deal with, it's the Tinnitus that's a problem.

It varies in people, mine is white noise in both ears. About the same type of noise as a TV that's lost it's signal and is making white noise. Our TV volume goes from 0-60. At 40 the Tinnitus is still louder than the TV.

Hearing loss can be offset with hearing aids. Once you get Tinnitus there's nothing you do.

Hearing loss can be offset with hearing aids. Once you get Tinnitus there's nothing you do.

My dad had it pretty bad, and from his descriptions I agree, it must have been awful. I have a very light, only occasional buzz that comes in for a minute or so and then goes away, weird but infrequent enough to not bother me.

Unless it's the Space Lizards trying to make contact. That would worry me...

Alot of hearing loss is also due to driving a vehicle with the windows down for long periods of time.I had a few hearing docs that told me this and it makes sense. as my left ear is way worse then my right. and I really hate AC so I dont use it most of the time even in the summer when its 115º plus.
The tentinitis sucks. but after a bunch of years with it you get used to it.
I always wore plugs and muffs when shooting and I didnt thousands of rounds a week since I was 8-9 tiil my 40's.
only thing I have a problem hearing is voices when there is back ground noise in the shop I can have 3 lathes running and 3 mills running and hear perfectly the pitch/sound of each machine and i'm close to 60. out hunting I can still hear animals walking birds chirping etc etc all the normal sounds.
but I still cant hear my wife talking 5 feet away ;)

unless your trying for cochlear implants the fight is probably not worth it. i thought you were a shop owner. how would comp even be an option? I thought as a business owner I had the privilege of paying it but not using it.

My dad had it pretty bad, and from his descriptions I agree, it must have been awful. I have a very light, only occasional buzz that comes in for a minute or so and then goes away, weird but infrequent enough to not bother me.

Unless it's the Space Lizards trying to make contact. That would worry me...

My Tinnitus started with the odd buzz here or there, mostly in the morning, but it would seem to go away. One morning it didn't.

occupational hearing loss

I retired as an ear surgeon --several years back joined a group providing injury evaluations
for hearing impairment claims and litigation--frequent depositions and court presentations

states across USA manifest fractionated codes, access, and opacity of process regarding claim submission
and tracking----many are viper pits

looks like Montana may qualify as snake pit member--repeal of every hearing impairment
workers comp code was sanctioned in 2019--I am unable to find any more recent update which may give guidance
to an injured worker seeking relief

my recommendation--call ent physicians offices and state clearly you lost hearing due to work
ask if their doctors file Montana claims for such
ask if any payment out of your pocket is required--my state never charges an injured worker for
any aspect of a legitimate claim--the doctor is payed for his time by the state

Attachments

• montana code 2019.JPG
    montana code 2019.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 42
  • sec-a.JPG
    sec-a.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 39
  • sec-b.JPG
    sec-b.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 36
I think a big part of hearing loss is genetic, about the only time I use hearing protection is when I run hex bars in a bare metal feed tube, I can still hear a pin drop at 50 paces and I am 60 years old. I have known many a guy start suffering hearing issues in their 40's who the loudest noise they heard at work was a pencil dropped on a floor. I don't see how you could get work comp from machining based hearing loss when you could still machine if completely deaf.

well good for you, you are lucky so far, but that really doesn't have any relevance whatsoever to anyone exposed to loud noise, including you as far as being smart and plugging up the earholes, because;

1) you can't know for sure if you are genetically susceptible to loss or not, it could happen after 60.

2) you can as easily wreck your hearing at 60 as at 20.

3) hearing loss isn't the only downside of not using hearing protection. ask anyone with tinnitus.

oh, and as to hearing loss affecting a machinist, yes, it most certainly does. it is one of the ways we know how a tool is cutting. that shouldn't even matter as to workers comp either. loss of hearing from loud noise is a work injury.

Back