What's new
What's new

help a noobie help a Retired machinist

Hey all, Ill give an introduction for my first post in addition after, thanks.
I am a blacksmith I watched machinist videos and worked on a train, briefly the guys had their own hobby machine shops and kept me interested, one informed me of a man in town selling his machines.
I visited and began building a shop shortly after, the idea was purchase the mill and shaper, poor planning and also general fear of the machinists trade redirected me to just purchase the scrap metal, some hand tools some tables and vises, 3/4" drive set. The story goes on, guys where I am at now is visiting and offering help cleaning moving this sort of thing for the generous deals i was afforded. The problem is the 'scrap' is litterally rusty lathe chucks, and face plates, collet chucks and threading gear sets, do I measure them and see if somebody can use them? Do I save these things from the shredder? I have the time but i just do not know what im getting into. This leads me to the machinery, a large monarch for hydraulic shafts and truck axles basically with a fair bit of riggin' 1-1/4" bore if that gives an idea of the size. a tranas shaper and a big military radial drill, what can I do to make these machines more appealing for sale, starting with better lighting and photos maybe a cleaning and I guess machine measurements?
So part of the reason I am sticking around helping is the abundance of good stuff, I would like to own but cant afford and dont have the shop right now but I am a liscensed truck driver and have seniority for full time so In time I may be able to buy this stuff myself. Now you know so thanks guys and if you want something forged check out your local blacksmith.

1.25 bore sounds like a 16" Monarch.
But that will depend on age and model.

Pics will doo wonders for anyone actually being able to guide you.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

hey Ox bud thanks for the videos, and I will take what you said get some photos and return. The machine was a canadian machine company or something but a faceplate is a faceplate thats what I think, the gearset and large collet chuck, im just going to resist throwing them out of the truck at the scrap yard. The lathe he has is a monarch, it had a large billet roll into the side and shatter the door and lowest selection knob. Sorry bout the novels guys!

The problem is the 'scrap' is litterally rusty lathe chucks, and face plates, collet chucks and threading gear sets, do I measure them and see if somebody can use them? Do I save these things from the shredder?
In general "rust" is waaay less of a problem for us that you might believe. Try to look past that. Most goods not BUSTID are salvageable and readily put back to use.

I have the time but i just do not know what im getting into. This leads me to the machinery, a large monarch for hydraulic shafts and truck axles basically with a fair bit of riggin' 1-1/4" bore if that gives an idea of the size. a tranas shaper and a big military radial drill, what can I do to make these machines more appealing for sale, starting with better lighting and photos
UNLESS the present-owner is able to onpass proper machine-ID and/or specifications (HIS lingo we understand already..)..

...you'll need good sized photos, not miniatures, decent lighting even if imperfect, any crap piled atop temporarily asided so we can see the machinery, not fossilized canvas, old tires, buckets of bolts, nor birdshit.

Try to include nameplates, dataplates, or cast-in names.

From reasonably decent photos, the PM community can ID and estimate a value for most anything from broken hearts to the crack of Dawn (big "D" OR little "d"..). IF.. we have "sight" of it.

NONE of it should go to scrap. Not just yet, anyway. They've quit making it. Damn near all of it, y'see. So at the very least it has possible value as repair parts.

There's tons of advice on PM as to how to rig machinery in or out - the radial drill usually one of the toughest to move safely and easily. If even it is a "serious" radial, eg: American Tool Works, Canedy-Otto, Cincinnati-Bickford, etc. and NOT a Walker-Turner lightweight mostly-for-wood rig, "military" factories being largely a Rooshin or Chi-Com thing, not US nor even Hitlerite..

Fotos will tell.

Anything less is just a waste of time - yours as well as ours.

Back