Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I certainly find that on occasion you have to TELL someone what to do.
    In caps and bold. One hopes to not ever do it but sometimes it is necessary.
    I had a problem once and asked for help directing an employee in a 1200 man shop.
    The employee asked the guy with me, "Who are you to be coming down here telling me my job". He gently responded, "I'm the plant manager and are you refusing a direct order from supervision".

The guy was alright. Highly productive and a good worker but just did not like having a boss and very strongly independent. Wanted stuff his way.
    Even in a union shop he would evidentially point out for discipline actions.
    That was sad, you hate to lose a good worker but it is a team.

Bob
    My experience is a couple of places that were max 100 personnel.
    And when in charge, the only way to deal with people (to get the best out of them) is to work with them and gain their respect.
    Some people i'd have to have an arm around them asking if things were okay and would we get this done by today, and then after lunch the same again and all was well (talking design work not production here).
    Others i could talk on a Monday and see them Wednesday and then Friday and they'd be pumping work out - self motivated.
    In the production place i worked it could be a nightmare just as you described, but i found that no matter how good the bloke was, it was a sigh of relief from most of the factory when he left.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP enlist the services of a Search or Placement agency. They will vet the personnel prior to an interview. They will screen the candidates saving you the headache.

Hire slowly and fire fast. Who you hirer is the greatest investment you can make in the process. Sure it costs money to do this but the money is well spent if you get a person who can do the job effectively and stays a long time.

We have a Director of Quality. He manages 3 Quality Engineers who audit the shops work mostly at Final Audit and some in-process inspection if/when required. We are ISO Certified. Our last 3 audit findings were no Major, no Minor Non-Conformities. This means the system is working.

We employ 102 people, 70 Direct Labor, 28 Indirect and 4 Trial for Hire (Employees under evaluation for 3 months before they become permanent through an outside agency).

We constantly preach Process...Process...Process. We hone the processes using continuous improvement programs in almost all the departments. The ISO System is updated weekly with the changes as they are implemented. We Train constantly to make the Team here better everyday. They have total buy in because we walk the walk and talk the talk. Everyone from the CEO down participates.

This has yielded an internal quality average above 98.5% and an on-time delivery above 96% (Everyone's bonuses are tied to these metrics along with specific metric tried to their job description). Typically there are 12-15 PNR's written every week. 75% of those are from outside suppliers. This has driven us to create a metric of "The Cost of Quality". We are just now getting our arms around this. Our Director of Quality and our Outside Supplier/Vendor Manager do weekly visits with our Vendors to improve their processes to reduce the amount of discrepant product coming in. Our Vendors are buying in and appreciate the help as they are limited on resources and we can help them with that reducing their costs and improving their bottom lines too. Each approved supplier gets a Vendor Score Card monthly and we are seeing positive results. Those Vendors that opt out will no longer be Vendors. So far we have lost none.

This week we launched formal "Lean Training" for the whole company. "Lean" is something we have practiced in our own way but now we are going to make it a formal process. We enlisted the help of an outside service to keep us on track and on task. So far everyone except 2 people like what they see. The 2 people are also the same 2 people that if you gave them a brick of Gold they would complain because it is to heavy to carry to the car. One is an old salty veteran nearing retirement and the other is a prima donna in sales who is very good at what he does (one of the best Fabrication Sales guys I have known yet). That's OK...they will buy in just dragging their feet or it will affect their pay. Simple to me.

Invest in your people!!! Invest in Quality!!! Hire right!!!

3. Likes Rick Finsta, gbent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
    OP enlist the services of a Search or Placement agency. T
    It has some merits, but really, its a process well designed to benefit the search agent. Create a list of boxes to check, find 5 candidates with boxes checked, press for a decision, collect the fee. Often that's all that's required, but its always left me a little cold, i.e. my cynical view is their success comes from quickly shoehorning tick marks into boxes to get your list of 5 with as little effort spent as possible rather than really searching for the best person/fit

5. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    It has some merits, but really, its a process well designed to benefit the search agent. Create a list of boxes to check, find 5 candidates with boxes checked, press for a decision, collect the fee. Often that's all that's required, but its always left me a little cold, i.e. my cynical view is their success comes from quickly shoehorning tick marks into boxes to get your list of 5 with as little effort spent as possible rather than really searching for the best person/fit
    You forgot to mention the whiteboard or flip chart. You must have one or tother, preferably both.

7. Likes tdmidget, Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    You may be dealing with the wrong search firm.

We use a couple depending on the type of person we are hiring. Management, Technical or General Labor.

For those Management or Technical positions we use a DISC Profile basis. We have profiled pretty much everyone in leadership positions within the company and look at only candidates who closely match those profiles of our other personnel who are successful, resourceful and efficient.

And the search firm does not get paid unless we are completely satisfied.

So far we have had to let only 1 person go after moving in this direction. It was not their fault, the employee or the search firm. It was our fault for establishing the wrong profile for that position. We learned from this mistake. The person let go was relieved based on they had to work outside their natural state to be successful which created a lot of stress for them. Parted on fair terms.

I don't want a person in a position they are not comfortable in and cannot perform. It is not fair to them or the company.

I suggest finding a new search firm who takes a better approach. They are out there.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    A grill manager at McDonalds?
    I've never figured out why you have given me several thousand "likes".

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've never figured out why you have given me several thousand "likes".
    Is this a strike 2?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Is this a strike 2?
    Not his section lol.

12. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Is this a strike 2?
    I think it's Ball 1

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've never figured out
    And you never will.

15. Likes digger doug, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JackatSDS View Post
    Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forum. I help manage my fathers machine shop as he's starting to hit retirement. It seems that within Southern California there is a lot of college programs that specialize in machining but none of them have a strong quality control aspect. Is there any tips and go to places you guys have when it comes to hiring QC, other than the Indeeds, or craigslist. Also, do you have an issue finding good QC talent when it comes to time to hire new QC employees?
    We use indeed and craigslist. It is very difficult to find people with the right experience, work ethic, judgement etc...
    I have found that some smart shop guys can be trained and do very well in QC. It is easier since they already know how the business runs and they are familiar with the parts.

17. Likes JackatSDS liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gonzchristian View Post
    We use indeed and craigslist. It is very difficult to find people with the right experience, work ethic, judgement etc...
    I have found that some smart shop guys can be trained and do very well in QC. It is easier since they already know how the business runs and they are familiar with the parts.
    Probably best to seek out guys that have experience in shops that have some level of self inspection.