What's new
What's new

Anyone using speedy metals of rockford? / northern illinois metal suppliers.

Whenever I want to pay too much I buy from speedy! They were 100.00 higher than Alro on 5" diameter 3' length of 6061 T6. Alro delivers here next day.

I have found if I depend on them shipping they should not be named speedy. I have seen orders shipped up to 4 days after I placed them.

Whenever I want to pay too much I buy from speedy! They were 100.00 higher than Alro on 5" diameter 3' length of 6061 T6. Alro delivers here next day.

It’s the exact opposite in Wisconsin, maybe just for me. Alro was 2x what speedy was on a $200 order.

My go to’s are Speedy and Midwest steel and aluminum. I do mostly one off’s and small qty’s so I really rely on the short order houses.

they aren't living up to their name lately last inquiry for small potatoes trying to pick up some material it was quoted out at around a week turnaround....ya not so speedy.

I had a better go around with them today than in the last few. Seems like lately I kept getting a random new sales guy, and it was always website price +20%. And usually it's been about 66% of website price when I call to order. Turnaround has not been that bad. Usually day of if I call early and don't have a ton of cuts.

BUT, you have to call the rockford office. If you call the 866 number it's like you get some coroporate office. Last time I did that I got someone who was not super pleasant. It was 2x the website price, and got a 2 week lead time for a couple 10' lengths of bar. When I mentioned usually it's quite a bit cheaper than the online price and it's usually ready next day she got kinda sassy with me. I hung up on her.

Anyway today, I called and got one of the OG sales guys I'm used to dealing with, and he was ON IT today. Had a chat with him about the last few experiences. He told me just email in my request and he'll take care of me. We will see how it goes next time.

I've looked at midwest quite a bit, and it looks like they have better prices, but that's a trek for me. I suspect shipping will kill the savings over speedy since I'm 45min away. I do have some big jobs comming up and I think it'll be very worth my while to deal with midwest, but I'll have to look at the numbers better.

I should have mentioned that I call or email my sales guy directly for orders or quotes and I only pick up there, as I am in rockford a lot anyway. The website pricing is much higher.

Try McMaster-Carr out of Chicago area.

Object moved
don't know why it says object moved but this MMC web sit.

The are very good with small quantities of a wide selection of materials, reasonable with shipping costs, one to two days delivery.

Tom

they aren't living up to their name lately last inquiry for small potatoes trying to pick up some material it was quoted out at around a week turnaround....ya not so speedy.

I have even had them back order something they said was good in stock, showed up two weeks later. If you need it now and can't pick it up Speedy is not the place to order material. I have found the most reliable online source to be McMaster, but on some items their price is nuts.

Used to buy from Speedy, pricing and shipping got to be more than I wanted to pay. Get a little better deal from McM-C and usually have it in 2-3 days.. Unfortunately, I buy in small quantities for my shop.

Used to buy from Speedy, pricing and shipping got to be more than I wanted to pay. Get a little better deal from McM-C and usually have it in 2-3 days.. Unfortunately, I buy in small quantities for my shop.

It has been my experience I am paying jacked up shipping charges from a lot of suppliers recently, even McMaster. I get a lot of repeat orders in the same quantity so I am often buying the same thing at the same place. I have seen shipping charges on repeat orders doubled from 1-2 years ago.

While I have not dealt with them personally, we order a lot of D2 and 4140 from Cincinnati Tool Steel. Our order sizes are usually between 10 and maybe 75 pieces, almost always round stock. The boss seems to like them and shipping seems to be pretty reasonable considering the current state of the supply chain.

In the present environment? How could they be "immune" to what is affecting everything else?

I've had 'warnings" of delays from very GOOD Banks, the US Postal Service, and a whole LOT more...

speedy is a half arse co if you ask me they serve a nitch for small needs and they are decent at that. i've put in orders multiple times gotten the it will be ready in the morning. show up and have to wait, told come back at lunch, swing by tomorrow....with the current industry it has just gotten amplified. i use them becuase they are usually some what convienent no more no less. some of their sales people i'm convinced have half a brain. our other metal suppliers have rolled with the punches last few years and made it happen.

also this is their waukesha location not rockford...

I use Metal Supermarkets in Loves Park. About 2/3 of the time Speedy is a little cheaper, but the other 1/3 they are more. Speedy seems to have more stock on hand. I'm up near the cheddar curtain, so Metal Supermarkets is alot closer, as I usually pick it myself.

Back