Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    Sounds like my guy......
    could be my guy too

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Tried that one time. Had nice straight scrap barrels that looked decent in the shop, recently obtained. Felt sorry for a sketchy dude in a crappy pickup truck that came by asking about
    scrap. Basically pleads with me to take my scrap, and 'split the money 50-50'.

I loaded 6 barrels onto his truck, thinking it would save me the time and hassle of taking them there myself. Told him........BE CAREFUL with the barrels, don't bang them up.
    Dude brings them back, all bent to shit. Says the tail gate's broke, had to flip them over the top of it. All I could do is laugh and shake my head.

Incredible.
    But in no way surprising given the type of people that do that sort of thing.
    Plus I'm certain he cheated me on the proceeds and kept 80% of the loot.

My scrap yard will pinch most barrels with the forks and flip them over.
    I wouldn't expect barrels to come back nice.

I have three 12 yard hoppers outside.
    Carbon, Alum, and SS.
    They pick those up when full.

I went to the yard a few months ago with a 30' trailer full, + some on the deck of my truck. I think that I came home with $3500?

I think I have a diferent experience that y'all?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 11-30-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago, I was working at a local
    tool & die shop, cleaning, truck driving, etc.

6 bridgeports & 15 harig surface grinders.

I took out the chips in a couple of 5 gallon cans to a little dumpster.

Shop next door had a 40 yard roll off, guys with wheelbarrows getting a run for it,
    to wheel up the mountain of chips.

I asked one of the toolmakers..."That is a screw machine shop, son"

4. Likes Zahnrad Kopf, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part of the problem for guys like Allout and us is that we are still relatively small entities in the grand scheme of things. And, our physical footprints are not very forgiving of having containers measured in yards, sitting about, taking up valuable real estate. One friend has even offered us use of their containers. Problem is that the yard is 1/3 the distance. It is simply not worth the time and effort. That is the crux of the issue for us. Not worth my effort ( monetarily or musculatorily )( izzatta word? Ox? ), and not large enough to make it worth someone else's to pick it up. I imagine that this will change when we buy a building large enough to suit our growth. This experience has left me aware of the need to plan for such things as more bulk storage of chips. ( as odd as that sounds coming from my mouth ) But the current plan has that being a year out.

6. Likes allloutmx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel your pain. If I didn't have bins that I can leave outside and cover I'd be hating it.

A shop run by an ex-employee of mine has an indoor dock for a rolloff container, they can dump self dumping carts from floor level into the container from one end and one side, the scrap yard supplies the container and pays them on top. I tried to get a yard to place a container here for a week and they all wanted a rental fee for the container and charge for pickup and delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a side note. I sometimes see a Toyota Truck dually driving around picking up scrap. Two guys inside it. They usually have things like washers and dryers, maybe filing cabinets in it. Loaded all the way, it couldn't be worth more than $30.00 worth of metal at the scrap yard. Work all day, get your $30.00. Put $10.00 back in the gas tank. I don't get it. Bob

9. Likes Bobw, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I feel your pain. If I didn't have bins that I can leave outside and cover I'd be hating it.

A shop run by an ex-employee of mine has an indoor dock for a rolloff container, they can dump self dumping carts from floor level into the container from one end and one side, the scrap yard supplies the container and pays them on top. I tried to get a yard to place a container here for a week and they all wanted a rental fee for the container and charge for pickup and delivery.

I hafta pay for the trucking too, but since it is "drop & hook" there is only one trip fee figgered in - compared to 2 trips for instances when you doo not keep a tub permanently.

Indoor chips can be a fire liability. (smoke?) I've never had a fire, but I have had some warm 1 yard hoppers before....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    Typical scrap yard experiance.

I will say that the average person they deal with is bitter, angry, ugly, argumentative, and in this area some type of addicted thief as well.
    You have pretty much nailed the experience.

The scale operator hates almost every customer that comes through, especially if they question his intelligence...but the reality is, you have to be pretty intelligent to make it to being the scale guy, and you have to be trustworthy. Not exactly the easiest trait to find.

One thing that helps is keeping the scale guy out of the money. They don't need to know how to pay for scrap, just how to grade it. When they aren't dealing with dollars, just pounds, it's less stress on the operator...but more for the pay counter.

My suggestion is to look for a yard that is independently owned. The scale is not the place to try to get a premium. Ask to speak to the yard owner or operations manager. Identify yourself as a machine shop owner and ask them to help you set up your scrap handling so that it's easier for them to sort. This will mean more money for you. Aluminum is becoming a pain in the ass to sell as the metal markets have changed. If you can keep your alloys separated from your end, you will end up doing better. When it comes to turnings and chips, keep them dry and sorted. Any steel in your aluminum downgrades it fast. Coolant will as well. Shipping them wet is a good way to get docked a lot of weight.

Keep your steel sorted. Cast iron/steel chunks/structural/sheet/shred. If you machine nickel alloys, you want to find a yard that has an XRF. Keep these chips/turnings separate, and put them in labeled coffee cans.

Just whatever you do, be kind and courteous and don't harass the scale guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    I hafta pay for the trucking too, but since it is "drop & hook" there is only one trip fee figgered in - compared to 2 trips for instances when you doo not keep a tub permanently.

Indoor chips can be a fire liability. (smoke?) I've never had a fire, but I have had some warm 1 yard hoppers before....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I'm sure you've shopped around, but a lot of yards will only charge for trucking if your load doesn't meet a minimum weight.

And holy shit, never over fill the dumpster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Briquetting makes them more valuable, but is costly to do.
    I have wondered about making a small version to adapt to
    a logsplitter, maybe using 2"-3" pipe, with a funnel on
    top. Something simply welded up, and bolted onto the
    ram.
    Not a good idea unless you have a really good relationship with your yard, and even then, ask first. Briquetted chips from scrap yard to buyer carry a premium because of trucking costs, and trustworthy relationship between buyer and seller.

Between seller and scrap yard however, it's too easy to drop say, a chunk of steel in the center of the briquette, and try to get paid on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Not a good idea unless you have a really good relationship with your yard, and even then, ask first. Briquetted chips from scrap yard to buyer carry a premium because of trucking costs, and trustworthy relationship between buyer and seller.

Between seller and scrap yard however, it's too easy to drop say, a chunk of steel in the center of the briquette, and try to get paid on it.

Agree.

I don't know about the embedded steel, but I know that my yard doesn't want bricks.
    I doo know that they like to be able to mix the ingredients themselves to fit the customers expectations.

Briquetting is their business, and I guarantee you that their presses are WAY more efficient than that small hydro jobbie that you just spent $30K on!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-J-H View Post
    As a side note. I sometimes see a Toyota Truck dually driving around picking up scrap. Two guys inside it. They usually have things like washers and dryers, maybe filing cabinets in it. Loaded all the way, it couldn't be worth more than $30.00 worth of metal at the scrap yard. Work all day, get your $30.00. Put $10.00 back in the gas tank. I don't get it. Bob
    We've got guys coming around in a clapped out C30 picking up cardboard. I can't for the life of me figure out how they can even cover the cost of gas in an old 8mpg clunker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    We've got guys coming around in a clapped out C30 picking up cardboard. I can't for the life of me figure out how they can even cover the cost of gas in an old 8mpg clunker.

At least they are out there trying to be productive/self sufficient.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

17. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

And holy shit, never over fill the dumpster.
    Did that once... I think it was an 8 yard dumpster at a shop I ran for a while..
    They emptied it on Thursday and then we had to dump everything we could on Friday
    because by Monday morning it was full of everybody in the neighborhood's trash..

16 barrels full of steel chips... The following Thursday, the trash truck couldn't
    pick it up, so we spent all of Thursday afternoon shoveling the dumpster... Of course
    the chips were BELOW the neighborhood's trash, which consisted of a lot of gross food
    and dirty diapers and used kitty litter...

And of course you can't just shovel because there are stringers in there, and the F'N diapers,
    shitty diapers everywhere, mixed in with everything... It was NASTY, and it took forever..

That SUCKED!!!! lesson learned....

19. Likes allloutmx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree.

I don't know about the embedded steel, but I know that my yard doesn't want bricks.
    I doo know that they like to be able to mix the ingredients themselves to fit the customers expectations.

Briquetting is their business, and I guarantee you that their presses are WAY more efficient than that small hydro jobbie that you just spent $30K on!

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I do a lot of business with a yard owner that is a second generation scrap yard owner. The stories he tells are absolutely hilarious of stunts that sellers have tried to pull. That's where the briquetted knowledge comes from...someone tried upgrading their scrap steel inside their aluminum chips.

The buyers aren't much better though. Take Keywell. They were the a huge nickel alloy buyer, until nickel went bust. They handed out golden parachutes to the execs, then screwed all of the yards that they owed money to. Then they had the audacity to start another nickel buying company, and use use their history as being the experience of keywell, but oh yeah...we have no intention of paying you the money we owe you, after all, we are a different company now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Exactly! I have gotten to know a lot of the guys.

Some of them are really nice guys that just don't fit in to the working world for whatever reason.

Then there are quite a few that actually make good money doing it, and are still stand up guys.

Quite a few are just shitty at managing money...been there myself, and gotten by with the extra money.

Then there's the ones that need a fix.

I used to work overnight ER Vet medicine. I loved it, but the pay sucked. I figured out that one day a week, I could get off my overnight, and pick up scrap on the way home. I would always make more in the three hours I drove around picking up stuff than I did the eight hour overnight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg White View Post
    the biggest scrap yard here(just outside Deetroit)got busted with the switch deal on his scales, in its hay day semi's were lined up full of dies and molds,machinery,tractors. The owner was cheating these semi's, front page on his bust, he laughed and paid the fine, his house looks like one of trumps.
    My scrap goes in plastic barells cut in half,one of my custmors is a large fab house near GM truck an bus, they unload it from my truck, when i deliver details, they supply my mat., so I give em what I cut away ,all of it.
    Gw
    If that is the guy I am thinking about, I live about 10 miles from there. Awesome house/yard.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    There is a market, and maybe 20 different kinds.

ISRI Scrap Specifications Circular 217

We have a cellulose insulation company here, they buy it right off the dock, you can
    bring in your bundles of newspapers (got to be dry)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty new to trips to the scrap yard, but what is considered "dirty/contaminated" aluminum? They pay .22/lb for dirty and .36/lb for "new" aluminum.
    All I cut is 6061 bars. A 5 gallon pail may have a 1/4cup of coolant in the bottom. Other than that it's super clean pure aluminum.
    Because it was cut with coolant I get the lower rate :/

Maybe I need to help him make the connection I'm also the service manager of the motor rewind shop who calls him with 8000lb of copper a month? (Aluminum is from my garage startup)

Being a small shops sucks. Packing 5 gallon Paul's of chips in my little Subaru Impreza, lol I usually manage to pack 200lb a trip every few weeks

Other than the low price they are ok to visit

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Eh.

I used to live across the street from one of these scrap collector guys. He collected a disability check.

The scrap metal was all cash, so it didn't cut into his hand out.

I'll bet my dinner that every one of those scrap collectors in a $50 pickup also gets a check from the government...

26. Likes Ox liked this post