What's new
What's new

How do the car/truck tire companies schedule production ?

DDoug

Diamond
Went looking for some tires online (winter tires).

Seeing how the major tire manuf's all seem to have at least
a dozen styles, and each style having many sizes.

How are these run thru the process ?

Forecasting a bad winter ? Schedule a bunch of certain
styles, and which sizes ? Run batch sizes for 1 week runs ?
then changeover ?

The matrix of part numbers seems mind boggling.

At least ten years ago my brother told me the car magazines had stopped testing tires. By the time they tested them in summer and winter driving conditions, written up the results and printed the article. That model of tire was probably no longer being sold. Replaced with somehting new and improved even if the model name did not change.
When my wife's SUV needed four new tires Firestone said sure no problem. Turns out they only had two on hand. Came back in a week and only one on hand. Another week later they installed the last tire with a good discount. I do not know if it helped or hurt that her Ford Escape has been the most popular selling SUV several times.
Bill D

It's worse than that. When I dropped out of college I went to work in a Firestone plant. We made the nylon 2 ply cheapies, rayon, nylon, and polyester bias plies and glass belted bias plies. We also made Atlas, Seiberling, Dayton and Riverside (Montgomery Ward) brands.
With 70 bead and ply assembly machines we could have produced 70 different tires at once if necessary.
The simple ones like the 2 ply nylons could be produced at over 1000/day on one machine. A more complicared belted tire might get 400-450 from one machine.

Back