How do you guys handle the “could you do me a favor” work? - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 148 of 148
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5788
    Likes (Received)
    197

    Default

    My machinist turned it when he got back on the 7th. Coach painted it and installed on his fat-bike the next day, PERFECT fit and set-up right off the bat. No thank you's nothing. ( only do favours for the shop neighbours that machine or weld, nothing else ever again ) THE END

    Fast forward today end of April and Coach and I are no longer "friends" nor do we ride together. Users and fake friends they are.. I roll better alone, always. Get used to it.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    If they can return the "favor" I will do something. Example... Someone needs a bracket for a car they are repairing they better fix my car. Someone needs a lathe part made for a lawn mower they better mow my law. Otherwise. "Sorry, I don't have the time."

    HaHa, had to laugh at this cuz one time a former employee was raking his lawn, neighbor came over to have him fix a mower or snowblower. He said finish raking my leaves and I’ll look at your equipment, he refused to rake and my guy booted him off the property.
    Amazing how some people’s time is worth more than a lowly mechanic or worker that gets his hands dirty.

  3. Likes Laurentian, awake liked this post
  4. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    13,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e-fishin-c View Post
    HaHa, had to laugh at this cuz one time a former employee was raking his lawn, neighbor came over to have him fix a mower or snowblower. He said finish raking my leaves and I’ll look at your equipment, he refused to rake and my guy booted him off the property.
    Amazing how some people’s time is worth more than a lowly mechanic or worker that gets his hands dirty.
    As I have posted before, I have a pit, for working on my vehicles.

    I also have a large power washer.

    "Friend" wanted to use both to clean off his truck underside, in the summer, to
    later undercoat it.

    The day rolls around, and my back is not good (have good/bad days)

    I spend over an hour under there, soaked to the bone, using my power washer and my gas and my water.

    Job is done, pit is a mess.

    No mention of any money, I suggest that he clean out the pit using a shovel (no way could I manage it that day)..."Friend" get's all offended and leaves.

    No cash, no help, and not even a "Thank You".

    OTOH, another friend, uses same, does the dirty work, pulls van off pit, and
    proceeds to clean up the mess.
    Thanks me several times, and offers cash as well.

  5. Likes Laurentian, awake liked this post
  6. #144
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    2,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3900
    Likes (Received)
    13294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    As I have posted before, I have a pit, for working on my vehicles.

    I also have a large power washer.

    "Friend" wanted to use both to clean off his truck underside, in the summer, to
    later undercoat it.

    The day rolls around, and my back is not good (have good/bad days)

    I spend over an hour under there, soaked to the bone, using my power washer and my gas and my water.

    Job is done, pit is a mess.

    No mention of any money, I suggest that he clean out the pit using a shovel (no way could I manage it that day)..."Friend" get's all offended and leaves.

    No cash, no help, and not even a "Thank You".

    OTOH, another friend, uses same, does the dirty work, pulls van off pit, and
    proceeds to clean up the mess.
    Thanks me several times, and offers cash as well.
    Now things are easy. You now know who to say "No" to and who to say "Yes" to next time.

  7. Likes Aub liked this post
  8. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e-fishin-c View Post
    HaHa, had to laugh at this cuz one time a former employee was raking his lawn, neighbor came over to have him fix a mower or snowblower. He said finish raking my leaves and I’ll look at your equipment, he refused to rake and my guy booted him off the property.
    Amazing how some people’s time is worth more than a lowly mechanic or worker that gets his hands dirty.
    I love it when someone says "It will only take you 5 minutes" as if they know the business.
    YEAH. Because I have 1/2 million dollars of machinery and 25 years of experience.

  9. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  10. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1084
    Likes (Received)
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    I love it when someone says "It will only take you 5 minutes" as if they know the business.
    YEAH. Because I have 1/2 million dollars of machinery and 25 years of experience.
    "That's why I charge $100 per minute."

  11. Likes awake liked this post
  12. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    34
    Likes (Received)
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plane Parts View Post
    I love it when someone says "It will only take you 5 minutes" as if they know the business.
    YEAH. Because I have 1/2 million dollars of machinery and 25 years of experience.
    Lol.....true. I’m glad to have my wife in the office as the ole battle ax, it insulates me from all the riff raff

  13. Likes Laurentian liked this post
  14. #148
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    northwest ARK
    Posts
    2,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4172
    Likes (Received)
    404

    Default

    Some you can deal with.
    I have a few that will try to repay you with favors ×10.
    There was an automotive shop that had me doing stuff for his lawnmower, dirtbike, etc.
    I would charge $25- $50 here and there.
    Way less than shop rate.
    One time I had him put a water pump on my wifes Tahoe.
    He charged $400, incl. pump.
    I asked a couple of other shops their labor.
    ( Didn't say he did it).
    They both told me around $325 incl. pump.
    After that he needed some more small parts.
    7 hour job , so I charged him $350.
    That was 2 years ago, and hadn't heard from him since.
    A lot of them I tell " I don't have time. It'll be 2 months".

  15. Likes Laurentian liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •