How do you organize your tooling? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with putting cutting tools in drawers is that they roll around. Solved by lining the drawers with hall runner carpet from Home Despot.

The top of the carpet is slightly ribbed and soft enough so the tools don't roll, and the bottom is rubberized so the whole shebang stays in place.

Costs $2 and change retail (less for remainders/offcuts) per linear foot (27" wide ), and easily shearable. Most all my hand tool drawers, shelves, tool and parts carts are lined with the stuff.

Not my idea (I stole it from someone here on PM, Thanks!) but it just flat out works and it's cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I really wanted for my tools is an old Card Catalog from the library,
    Tons of wooden drawers, about 4" wide, 3" tall and maybe 15" deep... PERFECT.

I figured they would be CHEAP since they don't use them anymore..
    I was WRONG..

3. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobw View Post
    What I really wanted for my tools is an old Card Catalog from the library,
    Tons of wooden drawers, about 4" wide, 3" tall and maybe 15" deep... PERFECT.

I figured they would be CHEAP since they don't use them anymore..
    I was WRONG..
    Better yet, is aperature card filling cabinets.
    Should be able to get those cheaper as well.

5. Likes Monarchist, itsmeBernie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And get some hot melt protective coating stuff and a small crockpot. Helps alot when bulk storing endmills to keep them from banging into each other. And it's reusable. I got mine from mcmaster

7. Likes Monarchist, itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@Tony Quiring, I really like your drawer idea!! Especially since I just took about 40 of those exact shelves out of my dad's basement. Can you provide specifics on the slides?

9. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    The problem with putting cutting tools in drawers is that they roll around. Solved by lining the drawers with hall runner carpet from Home Despot.

The top of the carpet is slightly ribbed and soft enough so the tools don't roll, and the bottom is rubberized so the whole shebang stays in place.

Costs $2 and change retail (less for remainders/offcuts) per linear foot (27" wide ), and easily shearable. Most all my hand tool drawers, shelves, tool and parts carts are lined with the stuff.

Not my idea (I stole it from someone here on PM, Thanks!) but it just flat out works and it's cheap.
    +1 I've learned since to lay a length of it atop the glass outdoor dining table for a while. Sun and air get it flat and bake the volatiles out of it. THEN one razor-knifes it to drawer size, it is stable, and not sticky.

Under each liner? VPI paper cut off roll stock. Effective "enough" even though trapped, to keep rust away, and it dasn't get torn-up.
    Last edited by Monarchist; 02-10-2018 at 07:23 PM.

11. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    @Tony Quiring, I really like your drawer idea!! Especially since I just took about 40 of those exact shelves out of my dad's basement. Can you provide specifics on the slides?
    Can provide exact as we still have the case but they were in with a bunch of standard cabinet style hardware and the folks at the store advised it was from a retired cabinet shop guy.

They are just standard slides like those at the box store.

One local place has similar for $17 a pair do we were lucky at a buck a pair.

Wished they were 24 inch but these are 22.

They have a latching device at the back end so no place for screw on back end.

Now only gravity and drawer keeps the back end in place.

Yesterday spend $69 us for nice aluminum sheet and made sides and back to finis that part this weekend.

Fronts will come later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Wise up. It happens to be a genetic trait, hard-wired right down to the cellular level.

How to fight that every day of a long life?

Just don't.

Most folk that are afflicted with it haven't the least problem walking over to an abandoned stack of junk and extracting an item 12.062 inches down that was placed there 20 years earlier, if not 40 - just from visual memory. So we JF work that way. Messy, but not harmfully so.

You are only in trouble if you lack that second part.

Solution used to be hand grenades carefully applied, then one HAD to clean-up.

Probably less hassle these days to simply epoxy the doors shut, and go start fresh in virgin shop space.

DAMHIKT ..and Oh, BTW?

Wife...and her 88 yrs young Mum.. run kitchen utensils, food storage, bedding and clothing on the same "mentally indexed chaos" model.

Good news? Nary a bit of nagging nor stress over it, 27 years and counting.

I'm good with that. REAL good!

Have you seen the bit by Andy Rooney? If I Google it some more I can find the video of him talking about his messy office, and how it’s the right way for some people to operate...

Here is an article by Bill Geist.. and video!

Bill Geist battles clutter (CBS Sunday Morning) - YouTube

Being Messy Has Its Perks - CBS News

Bernie

14. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmeBernie View Post
    Have you seen the bit by Andy Rooney? If I Google it some more I can find the video of him talking about his messy office, and how it’s the right way for some people to operate...

Here is an article by Bill Geist.. and video!

Bill Geist battles clutter (CBS Sunday Morning) - YouTube

Being Messy Has Its Perks - CBS News

Bernie
    Good examples, Bernie!

I learned to not fight it before TV was even to our house, and from a multimillionaire Uncle.

He pointed it out as a family trait, cited several generations as examples. Yet all were successful folks.

We really DID have a means of organization to what appeared total chaos, and it was cheap if not free, and very, very effective.

FIGHTING that? Costly. Mental stress, most of all.

A storage plan has to fit your personality, or the best of it doesn't even get utilized. Drawers filled gradually go empty as goods are dropped where last used. The emptied-out Listas & Vidmars? Those just suck money out of the room.

1CW... until I remember where I left that other penny..

Oh. Yes. 19" back, 13" left, of the top of the attic stairs. So long as you don't mind a Copper as has sat 27 years, unmoving, anyway. There are newer ones, here and there if you must...

Wish that was a joke, too. It is not.

16. Likes itsmeBernie, TheOldCar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Learned to not fight it from a multimillionaire Uncle.

He pointed it out as a family trait, cited several generations as examples. Yet all were successful folks.

We really DID have a means of organization to what appeared total chaos, and it was cheap if not free, and very, very effective.

FIGHTING that? Costly. Mental stress, most of all.

A storage plan has to fit your personality, or the best of it doesn't even get utilized. It just sucks money out of the room.

1CW... until I find that other penny..

Thats how dad was. No "orginization" what so ever for hardly anything. But he always knew where everything was and could have anything in hand in about 30 seconds.

But let me tell you, if he was here id about kill him for leaving such a freaking mess, not only with tools, but paper work.

I'm similar to him and can function in clutter, and to be honest I tend to be disorganized. But im making efforts to organize not only tools and equipment but papers and important documents.

Ive learned that YOU finding something is the easy part, its some poor schmuck after you finding something. Or even hiring someone for the day, much easier if tools have homes they go back too, so we don't spend all day chasing tools and actually get stuff done.

Nothing is more fun than buying multiples of something you know you have, but can't find.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Nothing is more fun than buying multiples of something you know you have, but can't find.
    I gave up and institutionalized that part. Very seldom buy fewer than three of an item.

"One to use, one to lose, and one to lend"

Cost of ceasing "whatever", saddling up, doing either a go-fetch or a keyboarding online order, thence back to the coal-face was more than the worth of the goods.

I gain a fighting chance of having a spare -even two - that eliminates the NEXT "go-fetch".

Whether it "works for me" or not? I play the hand I was dealt. It really IS "wired in".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How do you organize your tooling?

[QUOTE=Monarchist;3123773]+1 I've learned since to lay a length of it atop the glass outdoor dining table for a while. Sun and air get it flat and bake the volatiles out of it. THEN one razor-knifes it to drawer size, it is stable, and not sticky. “
    MONARCHIST

End quote

Well You just may have cleared up ONE mystery for me.
    I used that stuff, never thought of airing it out. Long story short, in a mad rush I had to put some tools into storage, and put some ground blocks directly on then new matting and left them for many months.
    When I checked a year or so later, they were stained with the pattern of the mat!!

Great tip to just let them air out in the sun for a few days.

Bernie
    Last edited by itsmeBernie; 02-10-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Quote messed up

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good examples, Bernie!

I learned to not fight it before TV was even to our house, and from a multimillionaire Uncle.
    A storage plan has to fit your personality, or the best of it doesn't even get utilized. Drawers filled gradually go empty as goods are dropped where last used. The emptied-out Listas & Vidmars? Those just suck money out of the room.
    Oh. Yes. 19" back, 13" left, of the top of the attic stairs. So long as you don't mind a Copper as has sat 27 years, unmoving, anyway. There are newer ones, here and there if you must...

Wish that was a joke, too. It is not.
    Well, I got the clutter part down pat, is I just gotta work on the millionaire part!!
    I wonder what I am missing?
    I guess, highly marketable skills HYAH HAH HAH

Bernie

21. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn. So obvious once seen. So otherwise overlooked!

Brill, Tony!

Thanks for that!
    We get "much inspiration" from digging in scrap yard, thrift stores and estate sales that allow us to "mine" or serious dig.

Spent part of a day adding support panels and the thickness of the panels added will require re mounting the verticals.

Plus original plan was open back but decided to add a cover to keep chips out and the drawers are set back too far so need to remount the rails to drawers...All 36 rails...

23. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something else to consider as we did this and it saves so much time.

Dig up an old computer and find some handy spot for it.

Plan is to build database but using standard spreadsheet for now.

Create columns for categories and sub categories then quantity, description then multiple columns for locations.

We have upstairs and downstairs so that is a check box.

File cabinets tool chests and other types of "containers" then there are shelves and racking.

When the computer was dead we placed some things like light ballasts in a common sense spot but not in inventory and when we needed one could not find them...still...

It is a pain to take inventory but easy to do as you go.

You pick up a case of something so find some place it fits then record it in the spreadsheet.

By using the built in filters in the spreadsheet you can quickly sort by the categories to locate that box of stuff you put behind the thing in the corner.

You have say 3 descriptor categories so it can be easier.

Example for a router.
    Type = tools
    Sub 1 = power
    Sub 2 = woodworking

The filters allow you to show all tools with one click

Then all power tools with one more then all woodworking power tools with one more.

Clicking on just any one column just sorts by that.

And save it after each entry so you do not forget and save it to a stick when done as the old computer was laying in the corner for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old day Job - 18 store retailer - tried the "dynamic bin tag storage system " sometime around 1982, same HP-3000-Mark III 'puters, twinned / rotated primary/backup each day as ran POS terminals, their own COBOL software. Claim made was that by not needing to keep bins empty for seasonal or variable stock level goods, a new central warehouse need a third less square footage to deal with 20,000-plus SKU.

Space part did work. Finding s**t went wonky so often and so badly, year one, the Chairman put it back to his own system and expanded the space.

Every SKU number ended with a letter. The letter not coincidentally spec'ed type of goods and type / location of storage needed.

"K" were TV audio, "K" section of a warehouse shelved accordingly for large, boxed goods.

"T" were fine Gold, Platinum, Diamond and precious stone jewelry, (my manufactured goods) stored in TRTL-30 safes when not on display, armoured high line jewelry counter for display.

He claimed that system let him train a new warehouseman in one wall-clock hour, and saw to it being done and done fast and well for over a quarter of a century.

Sadly, on retirement, his only son took over and needed but 8 years to run the firm into bankruptcy. Crackerjack COBOL programmer, he was. Otherwise a Schlemazel.

Rags to riches and back to rags doesn't always need three generations in a family.

With the help of more modern 'puters - AKA "high speed idiots" - of today's era?

It may no longer need even two.
    To err is human....

To really fowl it up let a computer do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 I've learned since to lay a length of it atop the glass outdoor dining table for a while. Sun and air get it flat and bake the volatiles out of it. THEN one razor-knifes it to drawer size, it is stable, and not sticky.

Under each liner? VPI paper cut off roll stock. Effective "enough" even though trapped, to keep rust away, and it dasn't get torn-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsmebernie
    ... put some ground blocks directly on then new matting and left them for many months.
    When I checked a year or so later, they were stained with the pattern of the mat!!

Great tip to just let them air out in the sun for a few days.
    Excellent idea. Wish I'd thought of it. I'll steal it, shamelessly.

Drawers here with rust-able tooling have been getting a spray of Starrett M1, which I think is lanolin in some kind of deodorized petroleum based carrier. Seems to work so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're going to organize and get things on shelves, in drawers etc. then get yourself one of these. The labels are available in many colors and stick like shit to an indian blanket and are easily read. You can find them used on ebay.

Here's a new one.
    Rhino 42 Basic Industrial Handheld Label Maker, 1 Line, 4 3/5x8 23/5x2 6/25 717159598 | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the magnet idea. Where can I find those?

I was going to use card stock since most of them have a spot for that. But some are so dirty and hard to get the cards into.

I also thought about using a dry erase marker and writing on the shelves themselves. I do that will my oil changes on my vehicle, so there is a dry erase 125,000 on my upper windshield. No need for the sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the magnet covers that go on top of heater floor vents. Lowes or Home Depot have them where you find the vent covers.