How to dump a job that just sucks - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    This might be a good case for stating the quote is only good for say 30 days, then you can adjust price and terms for what is on your plate month by month, not for 3-9 months later.
    I've had that stipulation on the bottom of my quotes for years. I think it's a waste of valuable ink...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask your customer for the NAMES of the Other companies that QUOTED THIS JOB..... sub the work to them....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    Ask your customer for the NAMES of the Other companies that QUOTED THIS JOB..... sub the work to them....
    ????? They did not get the work, probably because ewlsey was low bid.....should he sub it for more than he bid????

4. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    The biggest problem of quoting is that you have to think so far into the future.

When I quoted this job back in October, we couldn't buy work. We were caught up and then some. 3 months later when they finally released the parts, I was already looking at a full plate. If we were just doing this job, it wouldn't be too bad. But, we have to keep everyone happy.

I know from experience that it takes a lot of time to get a job to really run like I think it should. I have some parts I've been making for years. When an order for them comes in, I know exactly what tooling to have on hand, I know exactly how long it should take, I know exactly how to process the job, and I know exactly what the customer is going to get.

Taking on a large package of new work does not give me the time it takes to get the job running that way I want. By the time we figure it out, it's done.
    You quoted the job in Oct of last year? Aren't your quotes only valid for 30 or 60 days? It seems you could have just said "quote is expired, please re-submit" or such. Then you could have adjusted the job/quote for your current workload. I have also worked for places that did this and I'm thinking "duh!! quote is expired, re-quote to reflect the workload!" Maybe this is too obvious...

6. Likes Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary E View Post
    LOL.

Let's just act this out:

*Dials phone*

Customer - "Hello"
    Me - "Hey there. I have a question."
    Cust - "Shoot"
    Me - "I need the names of all the shops that bid on this project we're working on"
    Cust - "Say what?"

On the other hand, it might be a good way to get rid of them...

8. Likes Zahnrad Kopf, Hightemp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 6061Mike View Post
    You quoted the job in Oct of last year? Aren't your quotes only valid for 30 or 60 days? It seems you could have just said "quote is expired, please re-submit" or such. Then you could have adjusted the job/quote for your current workload. I have also worked for places that did this and I'm thinking "duh!! quote is expired, re-quote to reflect the workload!" Maybe this is too obvious...
    I guess. You either want the job or you don't. At the time, I wanted to job. I'd be really confused if a shop requoted a job and it was more than say 10% higher. It seems better to me just to say no thanks than to double your price.

I've had customers come back over a year after a job was quoted. I usually honor the price if I want the job and the material price is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We'll get it done.

good on you. Credibility grows from doing what you say you'll do. For that matter, being in the litigious US of A, who knows what liability you might create by bailing.

The guys recommending good communications are right, so often the answer to business dilemmas. Maybe they'll become a good customer when they know you lived up the commitment despite adversity....or maybe not, but at least then they have no reason to slag you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    ????? They did not get the work, probably because ewlsey was low bid.....should he sub it for more than he bid????
    Two reasons.... those companies are familiar with the jobs because they quited it, and they may adjust their pricing, and the bid winner is going to loose $ anyway, may as well minimise the loss.....

What would you do?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess. You either want the job or you don't. At the time, I wanted to job. I'd be really confused if a shop requoted a job and it was more than say 10% higher. It seems better to me just to say no thanks than to double your price. I've had customers come back over a year after a job was quoted. I usually honor the price if I want the job and the material price is the same.
    Agree and disagree. We have some repeats of the exact same thing they wanted 6 months or a year ago. And generally, I try to accommodate them and keep the pricing. Some times I've even lost a dollar or two just to keep a good customer happy and ignorant of minor glitches or price variations on materials. But the flip side ( and exactly as you are experiencing ) has occurred as well. If they're problematic, I give them the new pricing, a BRIEF explanation of the reasoning, and they either take it or they don't. But I've chosen a price that will MAKE ME HAPPY and value the job, depsite the issues with the job or the customer. Life's too short. Good luck, ewlsey.

13. Likes metlmunchr, dkmc, cnctoolcat, dstryr, Pete Deal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The majority of men meet with failure because of their lack of persistence in creating new plans to take the place of those which fail.
    Napoleon Hill

A quote I like. Talk to your customer, let them know what's happening. Maybe you'll get a few extra bucks, maybe a bit of understanding, maybe an ass chewing.

Put your head down and tough it out.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're stuck with it. Remember the job for the future, though.....

16. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    I don't understand this 'fire the customer' BS, that's a dumb approach.
    Just be nice, explain the delays, beg for more time, and the NEXT time
    they want a quote, or they place another order...

Adjust your price accordingly without drama.

They'll either pay the price you require and you'll make money on the job this time,
    or they'll run like hell and you'll be rid of them anyway.

I used this on a customer about 2 months ago, raised the price about 60% on a PITA
    repeat order for them, and they paid the invoice in 1 week, with no comments.
    Now at the new price (I made good money at the old price) I'm OK with the job......
    for now.

PS at some point in time, this customer might have OTHER work that IS desirable.
    If you fire them, you won't get it...
    Don't be to quick to shag customers in this economy.
    Firing a customer is dumb? I guess you have never had a bad customer, lucky you. Some people are unbearable to deal with and aren't worth the trouble at double the shop rate.

18. Likes Alloy Mcgraw, Zahnrad Kopf liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Firing a customer is dumb? I guess you have never had a bad customer, lucky you. Some people are unbearable to deal with and aren't worth the trouble at double the shop rate.
    Both situations arise. Some times it is the job. Some times it is the customer. Frankly, some times it is ourself. I imagine that if it were easy enough to have straight and fast rules about it all we'd all be instantly & wildly successful.

20. Likes dstryr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post

May _ be....

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Firing a customer by copping out on their job mid-production, and/or adding drama or nastiness into
    the situation is the dumb part, yes.

Figuring out you quoted to low, and dealing with that while finishing the job, and preparing for either a re-quote or a decline to quote the next time, is a lot smarter approach.

However, you do as you see fit...

23. Likes Limy Sami, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Firing a customer by copping out on their job mid-production, and/or adding drama or nastiness into
    the situation is the dumb part, yes.

Figuring out you quoted to low, and dealing with that while finishing the job, and preparing for either a re-quote or a decline to quote the next time, is a lot smarter approach.

However, you do as you see fit...

I don't think but maybe one person said to fire the customer mid job, I sure didn't. I thought you were coming with the "Customer is always right angle." It appears here after more information the customer isn't the problem. In this case the OP should blame himself, by his own admission he quoted a low price and quick turnaround because things were slow, then the job comes in months later and doesn't look desirable anymore. The problem could have been prevented saying the quoted price and delivery was a blue light special (K-mart, back decades ago) and deal was only valid for 30 days or so.

25. Likes dstryr, Modelman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually - I heard an ad recently that Blue Light Specials were back on aggin.

???

We all get albatrosses.
    Even this far inland and decades in - you (I) can still get them.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

27. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does -anybody- replying to this thread think "the customer is always right"....??

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does -anybody- replying to this thread think "the customer is always right"....??
    Absolutely. The customer IS always right. The issue is that there are examples where a customer IS NOT the right customer. Ox's albatroses exemplify.

30. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do.

Sometimes he even pays for the privilege of being right.

32. Likes RC Mech, dkmc liked this post