What's new
What's new

How is Haimer so cheap via MSC?

broke

Hot Rolled
I've been working with a sales rep on a holder package for a new machine and am still getting lower prices on MSC. averaging around $20-$25 per holder.

Has anyone noticed similar prices? I've never known MSC to be the best deal but this is making me wonder if I'm in the twilight zone.

having a business account on MSC really drops the price from list. I didn't expect that much.

I didn't think one used MSC and low prices in the same sentence.

I didn't think one used MSC and low prices in the same sentence.

I know, my rep can't price match. I'm blown away by that. I can't understand why Haimer would be undercutting their own reps.

I don't understand MSCs pricing structure. I'm sure it depends on the account, but ours is setup so that there's either really low margin sales, like 4%, or really high margin sales, like 50%. No in between. It's almost as if they're hoping you buy enough of the low margin stuff that when you order something that has a huge margin on it you simply think it's a great deal because everything else is such a great deal and there's no use checking prices anywhere else.

I get pretty much %25-%35 off list on everything cutting tool / tool holder related.
I still don't care for MSC. But, they sure do make it easy. And, free next-day shipping is the shit.
When I have time, I order from other places, and can save even more $$$. But, when I need something NOW? MSC it is.

I get pretty much %25-%35 off list on everything cutting tool / tool holder related.
I still don't care for MSC. But, they sure do make it easy. And, free next-day shipping is the shit.
When I have time, I order from other places, and can save even more $$$. But, when I need something NOW? MSC it is.

MSC's website makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

you think MSC is bad.. try Fastenal :wall:

Fastenal is my only option if "I need it today." At least in stock they have cutting oils, all the letter, number, and fractional drills up to 1/2" and common taps. they are a 60 mile round trip. The nearest Grainger 100 mile round trip stocks next to nothing. There isn't a real machine shop supply house in the whole state. When I was in So Cal within 10 miles of me I had two metal yards and fully stocked machine shop supply store. I miss them.

MSC for me is a GO TO for a lot of items and fastener/hardware parts used in production. Some stuff from McMaster too. MSC online catalog is not the best. McMaster online is a lot better and their CAD files can come in really handy when designing something. Just used their .dwg file for a castor last week.

Fastenal is my only option if "I need it today." At least in stock they have cutting oils, all the letter, number, and fractional drills up to 1/2" and common taps. they are a 60 mile round trip. The nearest Grainger 100 mile round trip stocks next to nothing. There isn't a real machine shop supply house in the whole state. When I was in So Cal within 10 miles of me I had two metal yards and fully stocked machine shop supply store. I miss them.

Maybe a move of somewhat less opposition could have been a good thing?

Is (was?) the skirt worth the location?
(There was a skirt involved - wasn't there?)

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Don't get confused... Just because it is ... Beaver PA ....

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Part of it was a skirt, but I had been wanting to flee California for decades. Even though I did research I landed in a black hole for sourcing machine shop supplies and outside services. The black hole also includes poor internet, cell service and the worst electricity I ever used. It is real strange, Richmond Virginia is almost a spitting image of East Los Angeles in appearance, yet they don't have squat. As much as I hate them if needed in a pinch the Grainger in California had a pretty good stock of catalog items, the one here "Can get it in two days." if it is any more than shop rags or WD-40. I thought this place could not be any worse than some of the remote areas I lived in California decades ago, but it is. It is very backward. A lot of businesses open to the public here still advertise in the Yellow Pages and don't have websites, some don't advertise at all.
End of rant.

Don't get confused... Just because it is ... Beaver PA ....

Hey !

There are towns in Pa:
1. Beaver
2. Beaver Falls (where my parents were from, and Joe namath their neighbor)
3. Lickingville
4. Intercourse

And several more someone else can add to the list.

MSC for me is a GO TO for a lot of items and fastener/hardware parts used in production. Some stuff from McMaster too. MSC online catalog is not the best. McMaster online is a lot better and their CAD files can come in really handy when designing something. Just used their .dwg file for a castor last week.
I just wish McMaster would let you know what brand you are buying in the catalog so you can look up more technical specs if you need them on short order. Also sometimes, they have the imperial system in the catalog and you wonder what brand it is so you can find the metric equivalent when you are doing a metric design. Can take a while to figure out what brand they are selling without contacting them.

Hey !

There are towns in Pa:
1. Beaver
2. Beaver Falls (where my parents were from, and Joe namath their neighbor)
3. Lickingville
4. Intercourse

And several more someone else can add to the list.

I've also noticed that in California, many little towns seem to have the same names:

1. Do Not Pass
2. Soft Shoulder
3. Deer Crossing
4. Watch for Children.
5. R.R. Crossing
:D

For almost everything I look at on McMaster, they have a CAD file that will pop up instantly and give me enough ifo. Yeah, nice to know the brand, I agree but I've never bought something and been disappointed. I also am wondering why MSC has such a poor website. I will give McMaster HUGE credit for being able to find (or determine that they don't have) a part and being able to place an order in record-short time. I find everything about their website "highly useful" (past orders, etc.). When I've had to make corrections, I just their contact form, reference my order, and get a reply quickly. I keep hearing MSC will get it to me faster (one days as opposed to two) but, so far, the time spent looking for stuff just isn't worth it and the extra day is okay.

For those concerned about price, consider that time to find a price, place an order, etc. is all LOST time (that you could have likely used better elsewhere). Unless you are spending a bit of time to save a lot of money, it may not be worth it (not saying it's never worth it, just be careful).

The Dude

For a couple of things I checked, while not logged in, and not having a high volume MSC account - these particular haimer items are faster/cheaper via .... amazon...

Any time you see something cheaper, one explanation for why you should always consider is amazon....

Back