Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had I known how many morons screw around in machine shops in this country I’d never have learnt that trade. Last job, four days, was a school book example of how not to do things from A through Z. Horrible. Stay moving all your life or you turn sour.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked with German Swiss once ,he used to say a hundred times a day " Back in ze old country ,I vud not touch machines as old as this!"....And I d say yeah ,I know ,I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is all about job satisfaction and that encompasses many aspects all mentioned earlier in this thread. However, never confuse your job with your hobby. You work for money, not fun. I can think of no better way to ruin a perfectly good hobby than to make it a job. You of course should expect appreciation and respect for your labor by both your employer and colleagues. Unfortunately, money reflects respect in our society. On the other hand, you, the employee, must make money for your employer. That will require you to continually ask yourself that question in order to be fair.

4. Likes Jeff_M_PA liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Delaware
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There has been a lot of good points and stories; thank everyone for their input. In the attempt to self evaluate my skills, dedication and what I have contributed to the company as a whole, I just get bitter. Honestly, and I am just not patting myself on the back, but I can name one other single person that has contributed more and to as many different projects as I have, and yet I feel as if I am treated like a piece of trash. Maybe its my own mind; maybe my gripes are valid...nonetheless, its how I feel. If you read my first post, I mention that the guy who was supposed to report to me, after being hired, couldn't report to me because he made more money....he brought in one of his buddies...the guy was a waste. The newbie , "J", ended up bouncing between three separate managers, and nobody wanted the guy....my boss approached me and asked if I wanted J as an assistant. Reluctantly, I agreed. I quickly saw the issues...the guy had a hard time showing up before 9AM, then spent 45 minutes on the shitter.....wandered around for a bit, then went to lunch. This was a regular occurrence I kid you not! I would program, set-up, and run a job...bullet proof...have him take over, only to come back to find that he "had to change the program"...or "had to change my set-up"....Not having "managerial experience" I went to my boss...no help...went to HR..."well you need to document the issues, and then he will have to be re-trained" Are you [email protected]#$ kidding me? I respectfully told my boss that I could not deal with the guy....that was a year ago...he now works for my bosses buddy...still does his same old routine...POS. One of the many issues that I have with my job....

6. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm going to give you a bit of tough love:

Stop moaning. Get the F' out. You're not happy, you're not respected, and it's clear you're bringing some of that on yourself. That's for you to deal with before the next job starts.

Work on your self-esteem NOW! Look for a new job NOW!

Find it, turn in your notice.

Simples...

8. Likes ttrager, lumley32, anht, mountie, Fancuku liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Age, assets, liabilities need to be considered.

Kids at home? Age---if your in your mid or late fifties might have a different strategy than a younger person.

Unless the things change age 62 and 65 are numbers that become important. 62 Social Security/65 Medicare. Medicare---along with current pension investments need to be carefully planned for.

If your getting on age wise might want to take a look at a transition into a gov't/academic type job where benefits remain at a good level and where you shed the pressure of meeting a production schedule.

Never too early to come up with a game plan. Some times you have to eat shit from the employer while smiling knowing that you have a long game planned.

10. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's hard to tell how big a company you're working for and whether you have been around longer than the top management.
    But if the owner or overall plant manager is around and is someone you have known for years. It might be worthwhile jumping past your immediate supervisor and asking to have a bit of a chat.
    I would sit down ahead of time and write down a list of your biggest concerns and what you see as possible solutions. Whether you bring the list or not writing them down will help you organize what you want to say. Be non confrontational and don't make any ultimatums that might force your or your employers hand.
    Worst case you will find out they don't care about you or your concerns. Then you will be more confident about leaving.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    People leave for all sorts of reasons: More money, Benefits, location, Fellow employees , bad bosses. the company is a sinking ship

If your job satisfaction has hit the basement, move on....

Personally,

I'm always after: Money, Benefits, Job is interesting or challenging, Job satisfaction.....more vacation....

My old man had a saying after 7 years move on if you haven't moved up in the company........After years of working, I figure it should of been 5 years instead of the 7years.

.I have violated that year rule multiple times......I've got too comfortable, skill set is rusting away doing simple shit.

I currently spend more time doing millwright / mechanical type work than machining....

Sometimes greener pastures is just another shade of brown.
    I was just feeling like that, too much of the same stuff, but we are getting a new machine AGAIN so...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I quit the last job for a number of reasons ,but under it all was how many years I have left ......no use having lots of money and working to day you die .....just making ingrates wealthy .....as I explained to my son in law......legacy money is bad for the soul......pretty sure he s willing to risk it.......Funny thing is everyone says they want to spend that last dollar the day they go,yet a well known TV star here died a few years ago with about $100 in the bank and there was a big deal made of it.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I quit the last job for a number of reasons ,but under it all was how many years I have left ......no use having lots of money and working to day you die .....just making ingrates wealthy .....as I explained to my son in law......legacy money is bad for the soul......pretty sure he s willing to risk it.......Funny thing is everyone says they want to spend that last dollar the day they go,yet a well known TV star here died a few years ago with about $100 in the bank and there was a big deal made of it.
    Mal Gibson died?

I like Jamie O'Neal, but I hadn't heard that she was in bad health, so ....

---------------

Sweatin' to the Oldies!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
    I've decided it was time to leave for the following reasons:
    1. I did not want to relocate with a job (started remote during grad school, would have needed to relocate away from my spouse's schooling to go full time, and the offer wasn't that great).
    2. I needed to relocate (spouse got out of school, had an offer to good to turn down, and I knew I was employable in the new area).
    3. I was taking home a huge amount of stress from the job, AND I was unhappy when I was there*. Pay was good, but an a$$&(* boss and a boring job that isn't going anywhere only goes so far.
    4. It's only ever been a contributing factor, but when I have a lack of faith in upper management and can see my employer struggling at times that our competitors are not, it's a good time to leave.

In every one of these situations I've accepted an offer with the next job before resigning at the old one. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes it takes well over a year. It might be illegal to base employment decisions off of someone's current employment, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, so why risk it?
    I also expect at least a moderate raise when moving. I've always figured that if I can't find a place willing to give me at least a slight raise then maybe things are better than I think where I'm at and it's worth sticking around. That said, if it came down to getting a divorce or early death due to stress or taking a 50% pay cut, I'd take the cut.

*I've had jobs where I love the job, but ,as still take home a ton of stress. With effort these can be fixed without changing jobs.
    Well bottom line it boils down to these real concerns no doubt. I think you have good sense in that regard and have clearly articulated your reasons for concern clearly. Many are so upset by it all they can never objectively conclude much more than the suffering.

This feeling is a impetus for change only if you can remove some or all blocks to solving the problem. It is hardly likely that you might be able to act ones self into what one may perceive as right thinking (problem solving/decisions)and therefore by doing so a persons environment may magically change.

This has never been truely seen in my experience personally (magical changes) nor by observation of friends and colleagues over decades and various employment endeavors from working for my Father as a only son wishing to help and please my father basking within the safety and tutor of a loving family.

Nothing is perfect and puppies grow up to become dogs and they can be so much the loyal companion. A employer generally is not as useful in reality ( though they may wish they could) than man’s best friend. The fair arrangement is that hopefully we can be mutually useful to each other and make a descent living. If working for any employer brings neither financial security and reasonable satisfaction and happiness then if becomes a dead end. This is in spite of whether one may genuinely like a employer or not. Also it matters whether we may or may not be in the right business also. That can also be the case and yes I said it.

Employers are quite clear that if troubles occur with a employee they are not required to raise them. They likely can not really do that adequately though they may want to-life moves on. So they cut their loss and move on. So should yourself move on. At the end of the day “wherever go there you will be” coming to grips with any unhappy situation in life whether it be a marriage, sickness, death, job, wife , no wife, and experts depend on the realization that other people really can not make a human happy. It is a inside job and it involves in my opinion spirituality or at least vigorous honesty.

It is doable. Happiness is a inside job one will find happy people in the most terrible circumstances under the most oppressive circumstances. They can be saddened by circumstances beyond their power or control and still be happy. I am not responsible for another persons happiness that is up to them. I can avoid conflicting with persons if I want to.

If they are able to change something inside themselves and also in a toxic environment this is the best possible way to break through, yet barriers to change self imposed will just cause hesitation and balking. One must plan and execute a change and it involves risk. Having regrets in life become large when no action is taken. Life passes one by and the regret then becomes one never doing anything about it. Such is regret. Time lost. People become paralyzed by fear. Step out on faith be you Atheist or religious or just a regular fellow unburdened by such enlightenments.

Or one can remain where they are the best they can and think things through more clearly given the feedback you receive. My take could be helpful perhaps and maybe not. We could spend way too much time by not keeping things simple also. Fear does not care what one does it simply is. Where it dwells is inside ourselves it can be a good influence and it can be bad one it may even save our lives and is known to do so it is a instinctual drive which must be tamed. Figuring it all out is definitely a inside job.

It is how people gain mastery over the imperfect material world in the best manner that they are able. Heartfelt best wishes to anyone under this kind of trouble.

Best of success to you or anyone going through this common issue. Take care of yourself. In life it is the only thing which one has with them as we all live in our own skin and no one else’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess you better not take my advice. But have a job before you mention to anyone that
    you are even contemplating a move. Just barely received a high school diploma so what do I know.

I've been in the Houston Texas area since 1977 to present. Held 2 jobs for 3 years,
    most others only 1 year or less. Mostly job shops, a few production places.

Retired twice so far from a father & son shop & I am now doing work from home & occasionally
    go to the shop to help on the mill.
    & the boss says I'm not letting you go, he's building a 50 x 100 and has bought 5 CNCs
    that need to be moved, setup, programed, tooled up, so much for retirement.

Met a handful of smart talented folks that were kind enough to share their knowledge with me
    (Thank you John Oder, Kenny Welch, & Jerry Jackson & John Moore & others)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People should always be looking at new better opportunities to improve their life.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M. Roberts View Post
    Afterwards, I was told that he can't report to me because he "makes more money that you"; thats a kick in the crotch!
    Very typical of this trade. Only way to get a big salary bump is to move so I am not surprised that the new hire is making more than you.
    I was the new hire at my current job 3 years ago. I am pretty sure that I make the 4th highest salary there out of 12 machinists. And everyone else there has been with the company 10 or more years. Hell, nost have been there 30+ years.
    It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

You need to look for a new opportunity if you are miserable where you are.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That used to piss me too.....the highest paid guys in the place were painters who could consistently spray 93%.......I fronted Col a number of times over this ,but he would just say the guys were legendary,if I dont pay them ,a competitor will.....Its the immediate problem that bosses deal with ,you are down the list,and miss out......Anyway,gave me a sense of satisfaction when the place fell apart soon as I left......Didnt make me a cent though.................Did make a big ,big mistake not going to the closedown auction ....some of the mobile cranes went for $5000,one 12 tonner had been fully rebuilt ,had $10,000 spent on the boom hydraulics ,all the pins and bushes redone,.....just looked dirty ,too dirty with overspray for a dealer ......I thought some of the guys might have been hostile.....

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by standardparts View Post
    Age, assets, liabilities need to be considered.
    Normally. But from looking around, I'd say there is never going to be a better time to change jobs. Seems like everyone is looking for help right now.

Better get on the train before it leaves the station.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Job was sucking the life out of me. So many hours. And I owned the company!! Sometimes moving on is the best thing you can do. Focused on my other company. HELL YEAH! Today is Saturday and I worked from 8 AM till about 7PM. But 3 hour lunch!! And walked around outside the shop because the weather was real nice. Spent time looking at different hotels near my home track. Looked at properties near my home track. And F***** off too.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    Had I known how many morons screw around in machine shops in this country I’d never have learnt that trade.
    I don't know how you could have let Maag go ... in the US, you expect that stuff but I thought Switzerland was smarter

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Switzerland has lost big parts of its metal industry. We even had a few blast furnaces but that was a century ago. Deindustrialisation, more and more office chair farters. Tramways are bought in Poland, we don’t even make our own cutlery. Well, a little still. Someone like me is not wanted anymore, so I work on cine equipment, mostly cameras and lenses, at home. Our optical industry, perhaps remember Kern, Wild, Omag, Suter, Spectros, Reize, all sold. It always takes a seller for a purchase. In that the Swiss are as corrupt as everybody else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    Switzerland has lost big parts of its metal industry. We even had a few blast furnaces but that was a century ago. Deindustrialisation, more and more office chair farters. Tramways are bought in Poland, we don’t even make our own cutlery. Well, a little still. Someone like me is not wanted anymore, so I work on cine equipment, mostly cameras and lenses, at home. Our optical industry, perhaps remember Kern, Wild, Omag, Suter, Spectros, Reize, all sold. It always takes a seller for a purchase. In that the Swiss are as corrupt as everybody else.

Not so quick on that note....

In whole - yes, you are right, but the seller in some cases is a bank that is trying to git back whatever they can from a lost account. And they sell the name, patents, and intellectual to the highest bidder. And then it seems that it is China that is willing to pay for those.

Not so much these days it seems, but 15-20 years ago it seemed routine to hear of some hold-out, that was not willing to buy their product from the S/E hemisphere and essentially relabel and market. Only to find that they ran themselves into the ground, and then China came in and bought the name in the end, and now controls the name and market for that product.

The #1 example that comes to my mind is Sorel boots. (Kaufman? Canada)
    I haven't bought any Sorels since.
    But the list is long.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

24. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes ^^^ I was in WallyWorld and the fishing reels say
    "Shakespeare since 1897" and the on the back is some verbiage about it being owned by Walmart.

Example item:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespea...-Reel/10298897

I think they bought the gutted companies name, trademarks, and branding, and simply contracted with Chinese suppliers.

26. Likes Ox liked this post