How to move on from a vital position? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    982
    Likes (Received)
    807

    Default

    OK. A few things to bear in mind -
    A) If the company saw to it, you'd be gone Monday morning at the opening bell. They wouldn't go out of their way for you if things got really bad - and it looks like it might.
    B) If they really cared, they would update - BUT - it sounds like dad's place, things stagnated, wore out, and it eventually died on the vine. I got out just in time, you should too. That brings me to the next...
    C) Finding a job now will be MUCH BETTER for you than finding one after they are hanging auction tags. Your bargaining power and value diminish because when the shop goes under water - and make no mistake, it's heading there - other employers will spy an opportunity to get you "on the cheap."
    D) Dedication and loyalty are one thing, but tying yourself to the ship's wheel of the Titanic because you feel sorry for the Captain isn't really smart, IMO.

  2. Likes charlie gary, bryan_machine, mhajicek liked this post
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    8,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    630
    Likes (Received)
    4505

    Default

    Pay raise is good for 90 days.

    Why are they paying so little for wages? If they are cash poor because they are selling to cheaply the problem might be fixable. If there are owners who pull to much cash out of the business, especially to fund family members that offer no value to the company, the situation is hopeless.

    If the shop is hoping to transition to production work, just leave now. Production sucks. Not only sucks, but it requires an entirely different mind set from job shop and short run thinking.

    With all the stories on the state of employment, now is a very good time to get a new job.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Ok. Itís clear that, without some sort of clear sign that an improvement plan is about to go into action, the shipís probably sailed. Thatís hard for me to face for a place that brought me into my first job but, reality can be that way. Thank you all.

    Let me ask one more question, perhaps a pay check. Given my role: lead programmer, assisting in quotes, scheduling all of the CNC work, filling in for the manager when he is out, giving any and all assistance to the operators when needed, doing inspections as required and making parts manually or on CNC when required: whatís a fair rate/benefits? 8 years in the trade, all at this one shop. Iím the third most senior guy on the floor/in lower management, the next two have been here 9 and 11-12 years (this one being the machine shop manager). The machine shop has about 15 people all told, the company as a whole 50.

  5. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
  6. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1236
    Likes (Received)
    1632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist27 View Post
    Ok. Itís clear that, without some sort of clear sign that an improvement plan is about to go into action, the shipís probably sailed. Thatís hard for me to face for a place that brought me into my first job but, reality can be that way. Thank you all.

    Let me ask one more question, perhaps a pay check. Given my role: lead programmer, assisting in quotes, scheduling all of the CNC work, filling in for the manager when he is out, giving any and all assistance to the operators when needed, doing inspections as required and making parts manually or on CNC when required: whatís a fair rate/benefits? 8 years in the trade, all at this one shop. Iím the third most senior guy on the floor/in lower management, the next two have been here 9 and 11-12 years (this one being the machine shop manager). The machine shop has about 15 people all told, the company as a whole 50.
    Many find that they are very good at what they do in the shop where they do it only to find they can't do a damn thing right in the next shop, perhaps work a few week ends or take a week off to test another place before you jump, as mentioned above, this is the time to do it.

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    21,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist27 View Post
    Ok. It’s clear that, without some sort of clear sign that an improvement plan is about to go into action, the ship’s probably sailed. That’s hard for me to face for a place that brought me into my first job but, reality can be that way. Thank you all.

    Let me ask one more question, perhaps a pay check. Given my role: lead programmer, assisting in quotes, scheduling all of the CNC work, filling in for the manager when he is out, giving any and all assistance to the operators when needed, doing inspections as required and making parts manually or on CNC when required: what’s a fair rate/benefits? 8 years in the trade, all at this one shop. I’m the third most senior guy on the floor/in lower management, the next two have been here 9 and 11-12 years (this one being the machine shop manager). The machine shop has about 15 people all told, the company as a whole 50.
    If.. you are genuinely READY.. for the next step?

    You already know that.

    And even how you would handle it.

    If not, not.

    "Being there" (anywhere..) for a given period of time.. "covering" for non-emergency absence of next-higher, or even emergencies, but familiar ones.. is not the same as being able to handle the planning of NEW things or the totally unforeseen emergency that has NO prior basis for familiarity.

    IOW "If you still have to ask total strangers...?"

    You may still need a mentor, locally, even if not under-same-roof, to prepare for ... whatever your next, best, move might be.

    It isn't always what you think it is.
    Nor always the seemingly obvious move to OTHERS, either.

    Focus on such things as if your life depended on them.
    Because it does.

    At least as to quality, if not also basic sustenance,

    Not as if you get an unlimited number of attempts at it.
    Not as if anyone but yourself has any greater control over it.

    2CW

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    19,647
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2517
    Likes (Received)
    3817

    Default

    You said the most important thing about the company a while back, when you said everyone above the GM was "family", and he was married-in.

    You are not part of the place like they are.

    Those places are full of problems, because they cannot make good business decisions due to "family" issues. They tend to take care of the family even when they cannot afford to do it.

    Just get out on your own terms, don't let anything be known until you put in your notice. Find a better place to go first, and then give notice.

    Odds are you leaving will not be any higher on the problem list than you were on the priority list. And it's not something you need to worry about.

    The GM does need to, if he is perceived as screwing the others over, he has to deal with the family fallout in the future. You don't. You can be happy it's that way.

  9. Likes fusker, charlie gary, mhajicek, Fancuku liked this post
  10. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    149
    Likes (Received)
    471

    Default

    In this country you were the typical case of further training and a step up or to start a business yourself.

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    982
    Likes (Received)
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachinist27 View Post
    Ok. It’s clear that, without some sort of clear sign that an improvement plan is about to go into action, the ship’s probably sailed. That’s hard for me to face for a place that brought me into my first job but, reality can be that way. Thank you all.

    Let me ask one more question, perhaps a pay check. Given my role: lead programmer, assisting in quotes, scheduling all of the CNC work, filling in for the manager when he is out, giving any and all assistance to the operators when needed, doing inspections as required and making parts manually or on CNC when required: what’s a fair rate/benefits? 8 years in the trade, all at this one shop. I’m the third most senior guy on the floor/in lower management, the next two have been here 9 and 11-12 years (this one being the machine shop manager). The machine shop has about 15 people all told, the company as a whole 50.
    That is region dependent.
    However I would start checking things out and talking to folk NOW.
    I'd also do as some others suggested and maybe work a few weekends someplace (if possible) and learn how the other places roll.
    The best time is NOW.

  12. Likes charlie gary liked this post
  13. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    21,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    That is region dependent.
    Too true.

    And attractive "region" as far as opportunity is as much a major variable as a(ny) specific trade itself.

    Both shift over time. Winners expect to shift gears, too.

    NOBODY.. was BORN to one specific trade. MOST folk do at least two different ones - if not more - youth to retirement.

  14. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    349
    Likes (Received)
    1187

    Default

    Definitely shop around and try to have a job lined up before leaving.

    We are considering a change that would put me back working for the man. Not ideal, but let's be frank, all these talks of labor shortages, and everyone begging for employee's, companies still want to pay outside vendors $35/hr for tool & die work. Several of my friends recommended several places and I put the word out I was looking. A good friend of mine is a mold maker about 5 years younger than me and told me the place he works at is looking to hire. By his accounting, I am far more skilled, far more knowledgeable, and a better machinist. After wasting an enormous amount of my time (their standard hiring process is 4 in person interviews plus 2 phone interviews each lasting about an hour) they offered me $26/hr. When a tow motor operator with a GED STARTS at $24/hr at the climate controlled plant down the road, why would I work with a tenth or two tolerance, loads of responsibility and stress, for $26?

    So, what I'm saying is, get a good look at the available market. There are several shops around me that are desperate to hire. Desperate until you talk wages. Wages are all over the place today. Benefits are all over the place today. Maybe you don't want to continue programming? Maybe now is a good time to do a career change? Depending on your location you could get a job in the CPG industry for double or triple what you make now, with very little comparative stress.

  16. Likes Fancuku liked this post
  17. #31
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    168
    Likes (Received)
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    That is region dependent.
    However I would start checking things out and talking to folk NOW.
    I'd also do as some others suggested and maybe work a few weekends someplace (if possible) and learn how the other places roll.
    The best time is NOW.
    Definitely true, in some states average pay in the high cost of living areas can be almost double of out in the sticks.

  18. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
  19. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    21,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Definitely shop around and try to have a job lined up before leaving.

    We are considering a change that would put me back working for the man. Not ideal, but let's be frank, all these talks of labor shortages, and everyone begging for employee's, companies still want to pay outside vendors $35/hr for tool & die work. Several of my friends recommended several places and I put the word out I was looking. A good friend of mine is a mold maker about 5 years younger than me and told me the place he works at is looking to hire. By his accounting, I am far more skilled, far more knowledgeable, and a better machinist. After wasting an enormous amount of my time (their standard hiring process is 4 in person interviews plus 2 phone interviews each lasting about an hour) they offered me $26/hr. When a tow motor operator with a GED STARTS at $24/hr at the climate controlled plant down the road, why would I work with a tenth or two tolerance, loads of responsibility and stress, for $26?
    ^^^ THIS ^^^ is a freakin' travesty.

    September of 1968, just back from 'nam, I took a pay CUT for my first postwar civilian job vs "O2, over three" as an Army officer.

    No sweat. Seven months later, I was in job #2, caught back up, and moving ahead.

    At age 23. For about $54,000 equivalent of today's money.

    Well... that was the price of career change and it paid-off, because it ended up the lowest point in 34 years to first retirement.

    So what does this have to do with $26/hr AKA $50,000/year NOW?

    The online inflation adjuster says 18 to 23 year olds could command that, right out of the box, not even need a collitch degree nor apprenticeship, either one.

    "Back in the day". Half a century ago.

    No damned WONDER the great wave of resignations is afoot.

    Y'see.. quite aside from inflation... we ALSO had silly small tax and FICA deductions, FULLY company paid retirement and healthcare .... back then.

    Brethren.. our problem isn't that MINIMUM wage is too low.

    Our problem is that maximum wages are!

    Before deductions, yet.



    So what's afoot with so many folks opting-out of the workforce?

    Wellll .. enough totally unconnected, independent-minded folk reach a similar conclusion, each on their own, that all they are doing is bleeding for the tax man and Obamacare.. nothing left for themselves.. and those deductions CEASE when they stop doing that?

    A Union isn't the only way to have a strike over shiddy pay, is it?

    Major shift coming?
    Seems so.

    But in what direction?

    China ain't cheap no more... even when the ships flow on-time.

    Besides.... who TF is BUYING if they aren't PAID enough to be ABLE to buy - regardless of "Made in..." location?

  20. Likes DouglasJRizzo, Fancuku liked this post
  21. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1944
    Likes (Received)
    6307

    Default

    Put your feelings aside........some of us care too much and others too little..............trust me, the place you're at will continue w/o you.............lot's of us think we are essential to keep the world turnin'. We're not...................

    Git out there, git another gig lined up and then put in your two weeks. Maybe even 3-4 weeks (if the new gig allows it) so you can help them transition. But I wouldn't, I'd just keep things short and simple.

  22. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    697
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default

    We are all replaceable. Employee or employer, doesn't matter. No one is irreplaceable.
    If you are not happy, just get out. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

  23. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
  24. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    5,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    1828

    Default

    Not so ,seen lots of small businesses die when one key employee is removed......

  25. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  26. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    SPAIN
    Posts
    5,681
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1533
    Likes (Received)
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Not so ,seen lots of small businesses die when one key employee is removed......
    Yep!
    I've also seen the other way when a new Tech Director came into the place.
    One man can't make a company.
    But one man can break a company.

  27. Likes mhajicek, bryan_machine liked this post
  28. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    6,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1944
    Likes (Received)
    6307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Not so ,seen lots of small businesses die when one key employee is removed......
    Sure, it can go that way.............but if a biz is being carried on the shoulders of one employee, they should either fairly compensate the employee, reevaluate their operation, or deserve to go down in flames...............

  29. Likes macgyver liked this post
  30. #38
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3123
    Likes (Received)
    1644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Not so ,seen lots of small businesses die when one key employee is removed......
    Me too. But then you shouldn't blame the key employee for leaving, you should blame the management for not being able to retain them, and not having a proper contingency plan.

  31. Likes barbter liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •