What's new
What's new

How often should chemical blackened screws be oiled to prolong their finish?

RogerCrossley

Plastic
Hi,

Does anyone know how often I should oil or wax chemical blackened stainless steel screws in order to prolong the aesthetics of the matte black finish?

Thanks,

Roger

So these bolts go on your ocean going boat? Or do they hold up that one piece of equipment in your sex slave chamber? Or maybe they are in a nice chair in your living room? Or maybe they are on an electrical panel in your rock crushing plant? Oh! Maybe they are holding up a painting in your art gallery?

One would think that if a plated bolt needs oiling or waxing, you got the wrong plating on that bolt, ehh?

They are stainless, what is oil or wax going to protect them from? If something touches them it will polish off the black coloring. The more it is touched the faster it will look like shiny stainless. I have used these and they look great. I have not used them in direct sunlight so I don't know if the sun will break down or fade the finish. What are you using them on?

Yes they look great. I understand that the oxide film benefits from wax to prolong the matte black colour, so they continue to look great in our machinery. The chemical black finish is for aesthetics not for corrosion resistance. Its not near sunlight.

Yes it would if you used a hard wax. The wax will take a tiny amount of polishing before it is rubbed off. Same as waxing your car, the wax will take some abuse while protecting the paint. Re-aplly often but that in itself might rub off the black finish.

your place must be running like the finest of Swiss watches for this to be the big management issue to wrestle to the ground :D

your place must be running like the finest of Swiss watches for this to be the big management issue to wrestle to the ground :D

I took it as machinery he's manufacturing/selling, not machinery he's running... But I could be wrong...

Back