I have a rfq for the same part from 2 different people....
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I have a rfq for the same part from 2 different people....

Hey guys, wasn't sure how to state the title, I have a customer that I have worked with for a few years now and he brought me a part to quote and paid me to to run a prototype a couple weeks ago. I get a call last week from a shop I know of but haven't worked for yet. They want me to check out and quote a part. I get over there yesterday and it is the same part I quoted for the other guy.

I am not sure how to proceed as I feel loyal to the first guy that I have had a working relationship with for awhile.

Some other variables are that I quoted just the machining of the part to the first guy, he would do the finishing and packaging etc. I think the new guy wants me to do it all which I am not really set up to do at the moment.

So, any of you had this happen? What are your thoughts on it?

2. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did your "loyal" customer get quotes from other shops, including the shop that came to you, and that other shop is looking to outsource it? Maybe the other shop bid it pretty low and are now looking for someone to save them.

Regards.

Mike

4. Likes awake, masome liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago I had a situation where I was making the same part for two different customers. Long story short, It's a real quick way to burn bridges.
    I would stick with the loyal customer

6. Likes Dualkit, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had this sort of thing happen to me BTW. Bid a job, don't get it, 2 weeks later I get an RFQ from another shop, for the same part.

Regards.

Mike

8. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are they both marketing the end product or playing middle man? If they are both playing middle man you probably would not get the job anyway. The end user will find a direct source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I understand it the customer is 2 guys (customer) selling the final parts to stores. One of them went to the first shop (a cabinet shop) who had me quote and run the wood part. The assembly gets a plastic part and the 2nd partner (customer) took it to a local injection molding shop who then called me to quote the same wood part I did for the first guy (cabinet shop).

So, I think it is just the customer getting more quotes. Now, at this time I don't know if a check would be from the molding shop or if they would just pass me along to the two selling them directly. Either way I take it as cutting out my first guy the cabinet shop.

Hope that helps?

I think if I were to get the job without the cabinet shop and he came in and saw these parts in my shop, he'd be disappointed at the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote same to both (plus the added costs for the extra requirements for Guy B).

The fight is on between those 2 guys, not you.
    Why pick one - only to have the other guy git the job and send your part out to someone else?
    No-one in this equazsion wins then...

I don't see an ethics issue here.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago, I got RFQ for the same mold from two of my customers. I quoted about 10% higher to one of them, mostly because of some annoyance factors. I got the job from the higher quoted customer.

13. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Years ago, I got RFQ for the same mold from two of my customers. I quoted about 10% higher to one of them, mostly because of some annoyance factors. I got the job from the higher quoted customer.
    Could be they were playing middleman and the guy you quoted cheaper marked your work up more than the other guy.

15. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We quote the same project for multiple customers on a regular basis. We handle it by quoting the same price & lead time to both. We make this policy clear to our customers, if nothing else it helps to keep them from getting to carried away with marking up our items to their customers.

17. Likes macgyver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In mold work, we see the same prints from multiple customers from all over the country. Like others have said, we don't see any ethics issues quoting the same part to mulitple people. Now some customers have different requirements, so the pricing may change a little bit based on the PIA factor.

19. Likes toolmaker96 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same part, same price. Who cares who it comes from or goes to. The end customer gets what they want regardless. And if company B is middle manning the project then original customer will come to you regardless because your quote is cheaper than company B because of the mark up.