I make stuff and sell it software - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I design and make and sell my own parts. $300-400k/yr I use Shopify exclusively. Super easy did it all my self in a few hours. They charge $20ish/mo to host the website and they/paypal take a cut for payment processing depending on what the customer chooses. Not really any extra than than other options and it all just works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll add a slight modification to the "hire it out" advice: I would recommend hiring someone to set up a website using existing solutions, such as LOTT described above. How is that different from just saying, "hire it out" or talking with the people identified in a "website designed by ..." link? The difference is an off-the-shelf solution that can be customized (up to a point) versus a bespoke solution that is entirely designed for you.

The off-the-shelf approach can definitely lead to an attractive and workable solution at minimal cost, especially after the initial investment of hiring someone's time to set it up. It will make use of pre-designed templates, which you customize with your pictures and text. The trade-off may be one or two things that you wished looked or worked a little differently, but nonetheless it will all "just work" and be relatively simple to maintain.

The bespoke can theoretically allow infinite customization ... if you are willing to spend infinite money! You can get the website to look and do more or less exactly what you want (within the limits of what websites can do), but every change will require $$$, and even then a lot of companies that offer "custom" solutions still rely on their own internal templates that tend to force you into compromises, unless you are willing to spend even more money to customize those templates just for your needs.

Please don't hear the above as suggesting that the bespoke route is inferior to the off-the-shelf route; each has its place, and some companies really need and can afford to go the fully custom route. But based on what you describe as your needs and desires, I think you really want someone to set up the off-the-shelf system for you, and show you how to maintain it.

3. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    I'll add a slight modification to the "hire it out" advice: I would recommend hiring someone to set up a website using existing solutions, such as LOTT described above. How is that different from just saying, "hire it out" or talking with the people identified in a "website designed by ..." link? The difference is an off-the-shelf solution that can be customized (up to a point) versus a bespoke solution that is entirely designed for you.

The off-the-shelf approach can definitely lead to an attractive and workable solution at minimal cost, especially after the initial investment of hiring someone's time to set it up. It will make use of pre-designed templates, which you customize with your pictures and text. The trade-off may be one or two things that you wished looked or worked a little differently, but nonetheless it will all "just work" and be relatively simple to maintain.

The bespoke can theoretically allow infinite customization ... if you are willing to spend infinite money! You can get the website to look and do more or less exactly what you want (within the limits of what websites can do), but every change will require $$$, and even then a lot of companies that offer "custom" solutions still rely on their own internal templates that tend to force you into compromises, unless you are willing to spend even more money to customize those templates just for your needs.

Please don't hear the above as suggesting that the bespoke route is inferior to the off-the-shelf route; each has its place, and some companies really need and can afford to go the fully custom route. But based on what you describe as your needs and desires, I think you really want someone to set up the off-the-shelf system for you, and show you how to maintain it.
    I would agree with this statement. If you have the budget and want infinite customization, go fully custom. Otherwise use either off-the-shelf solutions or find someone who can setup an off-the-shelf solution with slight customizations to make it fit better.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple points that may or may not be a help, depending on your attitude ...

When a website tells me "You must upgrade your browser to use our site !" I just leave instead.

Another one is, I have a lot of garbage blocked. All of google starting with googlefonts, every advertising and spying and tracking and "cdn" domain I come across, that kind of thing. Fairly often I get a blank screen or a series of huge icons mixed with various crappy script texts. I just leave those places too. Don't even bother trying to overcome their stupid shit.

Don't know how many potential customers do the same stuff, but I would imagine more and more will be, as the web becomes a bigger and bigger shitpile. Up to you how you handle that.

Many if not most "web designers" have their heads up their ass. Up so far only their shoulders keep them from going fully inverted.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

When a website tells me "You must upgrade your browser to use our site !" I just leave instead.

Another one is, I have a lot of garbage blocked. All of google starting with googlefonts, every advertising and spying and tracking and "cdn" domain I come across, that kind of thing. Fairly often I get a blank screen or a series of huge icons mixed with various crappy script texts. I just leave those places too. Don't even bother trying to overcome their stupid shit.

Don't know how many potential customers do the same stuff, but I would imagine more and more will be, as the web becomes a bigger and bigger shitpile. Up to you how you handle that.

Many if not most "web designers" have their heads up their ass. Up so far only their shoulders keep them from going fully inverted.
    Why would you block CDN's? CDN's are basically just servers around the world that store the website and deliver it. Being as CDN's are all over the world their selling point is that they deliver content fastest to everyone vs having 1 server hosting a website in San Fransisco that will take 10 seconds to load for someone in Florida for example. A CDN can deliver the same website to Florida for say 5 seconds instead of 10.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

It kinda sounds like youre in a middle ground of wanting web designers to tailor to our-of-date browsers but at the same time blocking out-of-date websites.

Im feeling the Shopify route. Easy way to test the product on the market, and if it pays itself out I can dish out for the designer to make something better.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    Im feeling the Shopify route. Easy way to test the product on the market, and if it pays itself out I can dish out for the designer to make something better.
    Sounds like a plan. My work here is done.