What's new
What's new

I think it's about time to give thanks to the guys in the shop.

Steve@Reliance

Hot Rolled
There a lot of small shop owners on this forum and I am one of them. There is a lot of griping about employees and I don't hesitate to join in. There is 3 younger guys in my shop and they have their share of missteps, but they have as many triumphs. I bust my ass to give these guys the best training I can, better than I was given. And they put in a solid effort and never stop working. They take pride in their work, and I wanted to make sure the rest of the world knows it dosen't go unnoticed.

OK, but please edit your topic title to give some indication of what is contained within. "I think it's about time" is meaningless without context.

I wish my boss did at least 1/10th that effort sometimes.

Training - forget it.
Recognition - yeh right.

Thirteen years of that and I trained myself to recognize better opportunities in my own garage! :mad:

Steve,

Kudos to you. Unless you insist on an expert in every hire you get, you will grow no more experts.

Nobody was born as "the best". Everybody was trained by somebody. You are trying to make accomplished operators of them, my hat's off to you.

There is not an employee in any profession that has not made a screw up. If he learns from it and doesn't do it too often, and we all know that when you are cutting metal, sh*t DOES happen, you are going to have a good and happy employee who does take pride in his work.

You get into his sh*t for a little f**kup, you are gonna have a resentful employee. Encourage him to, one, make good parts, and, two, if he's unsure, call his boss and ask for advice. Better than blowing some of that 718 stuff to the recyclers.

Good on you.

Cheers,

George

Been there, done that. First machine I bid on at the Westinghouse, 56" Bullard Cutmaster, no f'ups for a couple months, slow, but good. Put a stack of 12 30 OD, 28 ID, 1/2 thick rings on. Bore, reclamp, turn, 45 degree 1/4 inch chamfer OD. 11 were good, 12th collapsed and ruined the 12th piece, stack came down.

Next day, job assignments came out, I got sh*t work, no time for it (all piece work).

Went to see the guy assigning the work to bitch. He said "Eddie (daylight man) says you screw up all your jobs."

Threw my book on the desk and said you check my book with the jobs I have been assigned, find another that I have screwed up.

He couldn't, I got better paying pieces and made lots of them.

I think, and it has been 30 to 40 years ago, I could count mebbe 6 pieces I screwed up beyond redemption. Fortunately cheap pieces as above. Spider for a rotor could be salvaged with some weld. I did one of them with bad parallels. 500 pounds or so of either cast iron or cast steel. Cast steel, I think. 6 legs at about 150 RPM, flinging chips all across the bay, about 60 foot.

Finally had to get me a welding curtain to trap the chips so people could walk by without getting shot in the ass with elbow macaroni sized chips.

Them DO sting! You can stand at the controls and run the machine, though. They tend to come out at a given angle, not the operator's position.

Gotcha to read the post though , D
Not really, I just quickly scanned what you actually wrote in the post itself, just to make sure it wasn't a spammer or whatever. The point is use topic titles so that folks *don't* open it just to find out what it is...only folks that actually are interested in that topic open it. There is just too much on PM for everyone to open every topic..not enough time in the day.

Back