What's new
What's new

"If you don't know ask, if you take it out, put it back" list of sayings

Neil

Hot Rolled
Executive summary: Need to write world's most-read coolest safety manual that uses actual tribal knowledge with regards to SAFETY.

I need to write a very very short safety manual. I would like to include a list of eight or ten sayings that I have seen around, and maybe even linked to here ,but a search did not turn them up. Basically it is a list like the following, but much much better than I can write. It goes something like this:
1. Your mother does not work here. If you make a mess, clean it up.
2. If you don't know, ask
3. Ask proactively so you gain experience and increase your value as an employee
4. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment for the tools you are using
5. The vast majority of accidents and injuries are caused by UNSAFE ACTS.
6. If you get it out, put it back when you are done
etc....

Can somebody please find me the really cool, fun to read yet enlightening list like this? A google search on the inter webs did not produce anything close to this except for a Columbia University Shop safety list....which is ok, but not was cool as what I read before. I tried searching THIS forum without much luck....we have an ISO audit coming up the week of Monday September 25-29th....thanks guys!

Three weeks ago Dave said "this shop is one big black hole that makes any thing you set down disappear."
I made a tool board for every-day tools and labeled all the drawers so now we are doing better.
10 minuets looking for something is the same as throwing $50 out the window.

A couple of my favorites:

(above a mirror) "Meet the person responsible for your safety".

"The machine has no brain, use your own".

Cool. I did something similar at home last night. I consulted with my wife "hey which garden tools do you use the most?". We then collaborated and hung up the most-used ones on nails right behind the man door to the garage. Figured it would save some steps.

On-Topic:
Say, I am on a quest for the worlds best shortest safety manual that is practical. Anybody?

The good old one of a picture of two hands "Your 10 best tools, no spares in stock"

Not really safety related but we have a few up "The tooling in the shop pays your wages. If you don't look after it your wages will pay for the tooling"

Executive summary: Need to write world's most-read coolest safety manual that uses actual tribal knowledge with regards to SAFETY.

I need to write a very very short safety manual. I would like to include a list of eight or ten sayings that I have seen around, and maybe even linked to here ,but a search did not turn them up. Basically it is a list like the following, but much much better than I can write. It goes something like this:
1. Your mother does not work here. If you make a mess, clean it up.
2. If you don't know, ask
3. Ask proactively so you gain experience and increase your value as an employee
4. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment for the tools you are using
5. The vast majority of accidents and injuries are caused by UNSAFE ACTS.
6. If you get it out, put it back when you are done
etc....

Can somebody please find me the really cool, fun to read yet enlightening list like this? A google search on the inter webs did not produce anything close to this except for a Columbia University Shop safety list....which is ok, but not was cool as what I read before. I tried searching THIS forum without much luck....we have an ISO audit coming up the week of Monday September 25-29th....thanks guys!

Careful there. Statements like that will cause millennials to accuse you of being a bully.

You can eat with false teeth and walk with a wooden leg, but you can't see with a glass eye. Wear your safety glasses.

The leading cause of vehicle accidents is the nut that holds the wheel.

The Terminator:

"It's a machine.
It doesn't feel pain.
it doesn't feel remorse.
It can't be reasoned with.
It can't be bargained with."

Ken

I told my boss-the owner-what you said. He said I would bear absolutely no responsibility whatsoever. He said the company would take the hit. "That's what they have insurance for". If what you were saying was the case, nobody would ever write a safety manual out of fear.

Here's a couple I use periodically:

"There's no shame in not knowing, only shame in not trying"
"There's a price to pay for EVERYTHING"

"Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your face."

I can't remember now whether that was Mr Bailey in Shop or Coach Krause in Sex Ed.

I remember quite a few years ago when I was still in school, guessing about 18-20 years, Oakley had an advert in a skateboarding/snowboarding/surfing magazine that I used to frequently buy.
The caption read "Chicks dig scars...Not the hole where your eye used to be".

"Not only will this kill you, it will hurt the whole time you're dying..." placed near electrical cabinets.

"The two best reasons to work safely - your hands..."

Give the guys a cheap picture frame and encourage them to put a picture of their family on their desk, in their toolbox, workbench, or wherever. Then have printed on the frame - "Work safe, so you can go home to them..." or something similar.

Perhaps one of the most vulnerable aspects of PPE, is the urge to wear gloves around machinery - especially newbies operating a drill press or pedestal grinder. So my "quirky saying" is, "If it spins (a spindle, or rotating part of any kind) - ditch the gloves. If it needs moved (loose material & objects) - glove up..."

Change the wording however to suit, but the message should be clear that no gloves or loose clothing around rotating/spininning equipment...

Back