What's new
What's new

Implementing ERP software- discrepency between time on jobs and time clocked in

SMT

Hot Rolled
Im wondering how others handle this.

Ideally an employee would have 40 hrs accumulated time clocked into different jobs which would match the 40 hrs they're clocked in on the time clock.

I know you can't ever really be at a 100% match between the two.

A) where do you draw the line between small amounts of lost time here and there between jobs and dragging ass because they don't want to work?

B) when you determine they're dragging ass, how do you handle it? What are the consequences at your shop?

I'd really like to establish a guide and follow it but I'm not sure where to set the red flag line.

Thanks!

Im wondering how others handle this.

Ideally an employee would have 40 hrs accumulated time clocked into different jobs which would match the 40 hrs they're clocked in on the time clock.

Thanks!

that has never happened in the history of the world

2 breaks

cleaning

vacation

Hmmm this is pretty simple...

The worker must allocate all of their time in the ERP system and that totaled time must match their time-clock.

ex. employee works 7.5 hours a day factoring in break and lunch.
They will allocate all 7.5 hours per day worked to various jobs.

2-job A
3-job B
2.5- job C
=7.5 hours

now here's where the tricky part is.
You can use these numbers to show efficiency or lack of but there are always reasons for inconsistencies that its your job to understand.

If you FEEL that someone is dragging their ass/fuckin dog AND the numbers agree then mention this to the employee. If they don't take it right or can't step it up you may have to let them go or there might be a reason you weren't aware of

that has never happened in the history of the world

2 breaks

cleaning

vacation

That's why I said "ideally" Breaks are factored in as would be vacation. Cleaning could have it's own category but I'm not sure if I should set that up or not. Seems like a great way for someone to go, "eh, fuck it, I'll just clean for the next 30 minutes"

Hmmm this is pretty simple...

The worker must allocate all of their time in the ERP system and that totaled time must match their time-clock.

ex. employee works 7.5 hours a day factoring in break and lunch.
They will allocate all 7.5 hours per day worked to various jobs.

2-job A
3-job B
2.5- job C
=7.5 hours

now here's where the tricky part is.
You can use these numbers to show efficiency or lack of but there are always reasons for inconsistencies that its your job to understand.

If you FEEL that someone is dragging their ass/fuckin dog AND the numbers agree then mention this to the employee. If they don't take it right or can't step it up you may have to let them go or there might be a reason you weren't aware of

Noted. What happens when they're on the clock 7.5 and on jobs a total of say 7.25 (on average)? Where is the line that a conversation happens?

If you do not know who is goofing off without ERP, there is a problem

So you are worried about 15 minutes on a time sheet and think that they are going to do anything but add 15 minutes in some random way.....

ERP is a way to manage say 100 employees and figure out where large averaged blocks of time are going. Using it to fire an employee is silly

You can use it to figure out over the course of a year what jobs look like they are profitable and what look like they are not

Managers are what find out if individuals are productive

Back in the day my timesheets added up to 40 hours

Did i care what job got billed?

I think not

I get all that.

It's not that I *am* worried about a few minutes here or there, it's more at what point is it time to start. My guys are pretty decent.

Noted. What happens when they're on the clock 7.5 and on jobs a total of say 7.25 (on average)? Where is the line that a conversation happens?

If you give anyone trouble for that type of discrepancy, they will make sure their "on job" time matches the "at work" time. There is a really good chance that will happen anyway, since who wants to have it look like they are screwing off on the job?

That's why I said "ideally" Breaks are factored in as would be vacation. Cleaning could have it's own category but I'm not sure if I should set that up or not. Seems like a great way for someone to go, "eh, fuck it, I'll just clean for the next 30 minutes"

That is not possible in the scenario.
If that happens you have the employee "correct" their times they allocated to the work until the time on the clock matches the time on the jobs. That's the whole point and the entire foundation of what im describing.
its really simple.

work 8 hrs; allocate 8 hrs

short day? work 4 hours; allocate 4 hours etc...

If you do not know who is goofing off without ERP, there is a problem

So you are worried about 15 minutes on a time sheet and think that they are going to do anything but add 15 minutes in some random way.....

ERP is a way to manage say 100 employees and figure out where large averaged blocks of time are going. Using it to fire an employee is silly

You can use it to figure out over the course of a year what jobs look like they are profitable and what look like they are not

Managers are what find out if individuals are productive

Back in the day my timesheets added up to 40 hours

Did i care what job got billed?

I think not

good reply.

The original poster here is after time tracking, not ERP.
Additionally seems concerned about "when" to discipline... it's a fine line and determines what type of manager you are

There is a lot more so called unproductive time than anyone likes to admit. Expecting your ERP system to match up with the hours you pay your employees is not realistic. You will never be able to improve your operations or train your employees if you try to hold their feet to the fire by trying match pay hours to ERP hours. What you need to do is compare the two and make sure your shop rate covers all the costs. A good thing to do is to allocate as little as possible to 'overhead' and as much as possible to direct costs. Direct costs are things you track, those are things you can do something about. Overhead is where you bury your mistakes.

In our system, we are looking for 90% or better charged time. BUT, you have to have categories for normal daily tasks that aren't directly related to a product. You definitely need a "cleaning" category, but you can easily monitor it to see if they are abusing it. If you really want to improve efficiency, you need categories such as "hunting tool", "changing tools", "setting tools", "making fixture", "making soft jaws", "rework", "doing paperwork (including ERP data entering time)", "setup" etc. These categories are where you lose time and where you can improve things, but you won't know where to focus your improvement budget until you have data to support those expenditures.

Back