Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well here is who I listen to and read to be the best employee I can be for my employers. The funny thing is though, the more I listened and read, I actually began to realize that I was really a good employee and I had terrible employers.

Dave ramsey’s Entreleadership
    Chris locurto’s podcast

Before you dive into the deep end with people opinions on forums, check out Chris And Dave. If you do not want to read, then at least listen to them. Dave is on the air daily. Chris has a podcast. I have listened to every one of Chris’s podcasts more than twice since 2009. He is that good! If not Dave, then at least Chris Locurto!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW!!!

The ant fable so perfectly describes my previous employer it is incredible!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked for an aerospace company as a chemist back in my previous career. The supervisor never found one occasion to praise employees for anything. Well, there was a 5S award for cleanest cubicle a certain number of months in a row. Customer wanted a test done in 10 days, and you did it in 7? Customer thanks you, but the boss wants it done in 5 next time. Parts sent to my home on Saturday morning for me to run over the weekend? Oh, you mean you WOULDN'T delight a customer, ever? Never fast enough, never good enough. I am not the type of person that needs continual praise and celebration in order to keep me mentally stable. An occasional "Thank you for your work on a really difficult project" once in awhile wouldn't have killed anyone to say.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris LoCurto - Finding The Life & Business You Really Want

I can not emphasize enough to listen to this gentleman's podcasts! Hire him as consultant if you can afford him. His business is exactly what you are asking about. He is great!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Offering "spiffs" and team based incentives have always sparked increase in productivity. No matter what anyone says, money for "attaboys" trumps all frothy compliments for a job well done.

I sparked a contest the other day between a team 8 employees, two were the last men standing and it created an air of competition (good for me) and camaderie at the end of the contest when there was a tie and we had to roll-over.

-Spurs

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up working all day repairing an air compressor because nobody else would and my boss walked up and handed me $100.

That's some solid motivation.

7. Likes Bobw, Lt. Swarf liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs View Post
    Offering "spiffs" and team based incentives have always sparked increase in productivity. No matter what anyone says, money for "attaboys" trumps all frothy compliments for a job well done.

I sparked a contest the other day between a team 8 employees, two were the last men standing and it created an air of competition (good for me) and camaderie at the end of the contest when there was a tie and we had to roll-over.

-Spurs
    What happened to the employees that tried hard but didn't win ?

Out the door ? No room for second place eh ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    A good old fashioned firing can work wonders.

Not that I'm hard ass or want treat people badly or ever want to have to fire again, but the day after, there's no chit chat and the place is humming. And if you got someone doggin't it, for sure its bringing down the others.
    This couldn't be more true.

If you can stand back and objectively say that your workplace pays better-than-average in your area and has a great work environment, then you should expect better-than-average employee output.

If you're not getting that, chances are you have one or more lazy individuals dragging the rest of them down. Laziness in a workplace is a cancer that spreads. Cut it out, and you should see a gain in productivity even with fewer heads. Also, like cancer, sometimes it means you have to keep cutting even if you already eliminated the original source.

10. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    A good old fashioned firing can work wonders.

Not that I'm hard ass or want treat people badly or ever want to have to fire again, but the day after, there's no chit chat and the place is humming. And if you got someone doggin't it, for sure its bringing down the others.

On a more professional management level, you get the behaviour that you measure and reward.....start looking at metrics you use and pay attention to and a reward system (btw firing is just a negative reward lol)
    Pretty much spot on.

If you can objectively state that your workplace pays better than median in your area, trains its employees properly, and has a great work environment (good hours, good facilities, reasonable pace, good management, friendly atmosphere), then you should have an expectation of better than average employee output.

If you're not getting that, then the blame shifts to the employees. Often times it's a few bad apples dragging the rest of them down. Laziness is a cancer that spreads - cut it out, and you'll find an increase in overall productivity, despite having fewer employees.

Monetary incentive already exists. It's called wages. No need to muddy that with additional, sporadic and potentially unsustainable bonuses. Holiday bonuses are sufficient.

The culling of bad employees is a process. There may be more than one, and it may include management. I've seen entire crews get replaced, one by one, over the course of a couple years. Productivity eventually tripled with the same head count and a new crew.

12. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Pretty much spot on.

If you can objectively state that your workplace pays better than median in your area, trains its employees properly, and has a great work environment (good hours, good facilities, reasonable pace, good management, friendly atmosphere), then you should have an expectation of better than average employee output.

If you're not getting that, then the blame shifts to the employees. Often times it's a few bad apples dragging the rest of them down. Laziness is a cancer that spreads - cut it out, and you'll find an increase in overall productivity, despite having fewer employees.

Monetary incentive already exists. It's called wages. No need to muddy that with additional, sporadic and potentially unsustainable bonuses. Holiday bonuses are sufficient.

The culling of bad employees is a process. There may be more than one, and it may include management. I've seen entire crews get replaced, one by one, over the course of a couple years. Productivity eventually tripled with the same head count and a new crew.
    +1 on management. I worked at a place where everyone started off working hard and then just stopped caring and did the minimum to not get fired. Some even did less but wouldn't get fired because the turnaround was so bad they couldn't hold employees for more than a couple of weeks.

It was all because of terrible management setting unrealistic goals and not providing the tools, PPE, or wages to get it done.

They could have ~80% the same shop employees, paid maybe 50% more (that would be median) and with new management and that shop would be able to crank out trailers at five times the speed easily.

I quit after three months because I simply could not give a shit about anything in that place. Went to a new job with less terrible management and worked hard with less useless struggling.

14. Likes digger doug, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What happened to the employees that tried hard but didn't win ?

Out the door ? No room for second place eh ?
    More motivation for next month, and definitely not out the door. They had fun.