What's new
What's new

Interest Rate for new machine tool purchases?

proturn

Stainless
Hello Forum,

We are getting ready to pull the trigger once again on new VMC. We have been quoted 5.99% for 60months with 110% financing or 4.99% with 20% down on the same term. This question is for you fellow shop owners that are getting ready for IMTS: What kind of terms are you seeing?

One year ago almost to the day:
11.5% on a 4 year term with 25% down and twice the balance sitting in the bank (their branch even!)
Prime was around 3% at the time.
Several machinery loans negotiated and paid back; never been overdue on a payment.
All personal banking done there for 30+ years.

I told them to go F themselves and paid cash for the machine.
$120,000.00 purchase; those c-suckers didn't make a dime.
The excuse was that "we have a new policy"
I don't bank there anymore!
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

One year ago almost to the day:
11.5% on a 4 year term with 25% down and twice the balance sitting in the bank (their branch even!)
Prime was around 3% at the time.
Several machinery loans negotiated and paid back; never been overdue on a payment.
All personal banking done there for 30+ years.

I had a bank pull that kinda thing with me too, I cut ties the next day.

I got high 6's 8 months ago with 10% down (very good credit, loan not lease). But I'm a one man operation with only 3 years of operation the first year sucked.

Jason,

Hello Forum,

We are getting ready to pull the trigger once again on new VMC. We have been quoted 5.99% for 60months with 110% financing or 4.99% with 20% down on the same term. This question is for you fellow shop owners that are getting ready for IMTS: What kind of terms are you seeing?

That isnt too bad I think the last Mazak we bought was 5.5%

I got 8.9 earlier in the year from a bank in town. I put 20% down. I'm a one man shop with good credit and money in the bank but no history.

I'm glad I did it too. I'm not turning away as much work as I was and I'm getting a lot more done now with the new machine.

Having two good VMCs that run all day has been awesome.

A description of getting my first bank loan:

For starters, for whatever reason I failed to dress myself properly that morning. I put on a shirt with a hole in it, sneakers instead of proper shoes, and rode in a convertible at lunch so my hair looked a bit like Al Sharpton. I became acutely aware of these things once I sat down across the table from the sharply dressed loan officer and I began to feel uncomfortable. Then I had to explain that, no, in fact I don't have any P&L statements, federal tax ID or any other business formalities... Then the conversation took a strange turn:

Banker: "So what is a vertical machining center exactly"
Me: (explains what a VMC is, and the fact that it weighs several tons comes up)
Banker: "and where are you putting this?"
Me: "In my garage"
Banker "at your house?"
Me: "yes"
Banker: "are you zoned for that?"
Me: "I don't know"
Banker: "Do you have business insurance?"
Me: "no"
Banker: "do you have a business license?"
Me: "no"
Banker: *blink blink*
Me: *blink*
Banker: (and I swear, this is almost verbatim) "well, it appears everything is in order, sign here, and here, and here."
Me: (it occurs to me that apparently the banker just doesn't give a damn. I sign on the dotted line, it felt like I was in a dream)
Banker: (hands over check for enormous sum of money) "Here you are, and here, take a coffee mug."
Me: (I leave, I drive home laughing like a madman, probably looking insane to anyone who saw me)

Getting a business loan was one of the most surreal moments of my life.

I refinanced at about 6% late last year. Changed banks to do it. Where I was I asked once, if I refinance can I lower my rates? Them: I don't think so. I went to the next town and went from 8-9% down to 6%.

NTM - your story reminds me of the first equipment loan I ever took out. I was 29 years old and had just bought 20 acres that had been partially logged. I wanted to buy a dozer to clear stumps and put a road in. I found the dozer I wanted and put 50% down on it (nearly every cent I had) and went to the bank and sat down with the bank manager. She asked me about a half dozen questions (including how old I was) - and then gave me an 8% loan with 60 month term for $15k. I made every payment and that loan put me in good stead with the bank so that when I was ready for my first big business "line of credit" application a few years later - I had no problem.

Right now, interest rates are unbelievably low - I just refined my house for 2.625% on a 15 year loan - and was offered just over 4% to refi the SBA loan that I took out to buy my building. And - everything I read says rates will continue to stay low for a while if not go a little lower yet.

I bought one more VMC about two months ago. I was given 4.1% (60 mo) and no money down. It is a larger regional bank that initially called me back in November to see if I had any equipment requirements. By March I could have used one more VMC so I gave them a call just to see what the application process was. It was a simple application and I was approved in about three days. I was a bit surprised on the terms, especially with the no money down. I had a previous machine last year (March) financed through Haas at something like 6.75% and 20% down with a much more detailed application/record requirement. The bank I am working with now has a division that specializes in machine tool and industrial equipment so they may be better off working with than some bank like my local bank; that I like, but they wouldn't know what a machine tool is. Maybe my credit is good? I have never missed a payment on anything in my life and pretty much all my tooling and material I pay at time of order.

I hope this isn't a hijack and let me know if it is. Who are you guys using for banks? I asked for a SBA loan from US Bank and I have stellar credit rating, pay my bills on time, along with a great day job and still no luck. I need to get the ball rolling for building business history.

I'm beginning to wonder what the reward is for paying your bills...

We were looking at changing banks a few months ago, our bank has recently got a bad case of the "stupid". Had a toy coming to the shop, needed cash to pay the
truck driver, make a check to "cash" go to the bank, the teller deposits the check into the account it was written on, hands back a receipt.

Anyways, the bank we want to go to would like to have "more than one business relationship" with us, they suggest a small line of credit. OK, whatever.
Just need some info, OK... Should be all set in 2 days tops, OK...... 2 weeks later, and over a ream of paper work, they still want more "info". Fill out half a page
of info on-line and an unsecured credit card shows up in the mail 2 days later. Told the new bank to go screw, completely, it just got so stupid.

I hate banks.

I hope this isn't a hijack and let me know if it is. Who are you guys using for banks? I asked for a SBA loan from US Bank and I have stellar credit rating, pay my bills on time, along with a great day job and still no luck. I need to get the ball rolling for building business history.

I'm beginning to wonder what the reward is for paying your bills...

When you look at failure rates for startup businesses, its not hard to understand why its tough to get a loan for general startup purposes. 1/3 of startups fail within 2 yrs, and well over half of them are gone in 4 yrs. In most instances, there's a very small fraction of the principal of such loans recovered when the business fails.

Imagine how hard it would be to get a car loan or a home mortgage if lenders knew they'd have to repossess 1/3 of them within 2 yrs and they'd only recover 10 cents on the dollar if they were lucky. Add in the fact that having a good job and paying your personal bills on time really isn't a predictor of ability to operate a business successfully enough to repay a business loan, and the prospect of a startup loan becomes largely a shot in the dark rather than a calculable risk for the lender.

My dad would be a pretty good example of the big divide between personal credit and business credit. Back around 04 or 05 he made a deal to buy out a partner's interest for about $350K in a piece of property they co-owned and held a clear deed to. He considered getting a loan, so he called the branch manager of the bank he dealt with and told him what he was interested in. The man called back within a couple hours and said they'd loan the money at the then current prime rate plus 1/4%. Just let them know if he wanted to proceed, and they'd have the money ready in a couple days. No mention of P&L's or a property appraisal or anything like that. Obviously, they'd have a lien on the property during the course of the loan, but the qualifying process was about like the average person with good credit buying a car. The only question they really asked was whether or not any money was owed on the property, and when he said no, they accepted that as fact.

Why so simple? Been doing business with them for 45+ yrs. About $1 mil on deposit with them in various accounts. Previously borrowed about $300K from them back in the mid 70's on a 3 yr note for machinery related to business expansion, and repaid it on schedule. Pretty much the perfect example of how easy it is to borrow money if you don't need it. He ultimately decided to pay the partner in cash since the interest saved was far more than the interest he'd have gotten if he left the cash in the bank.

OTOH, on a personal basis, he'd probably have difficulty buying a new car or other similar purchase on credit. First thing they'd do is run a credit check on him, and it'd come up blank. Keeping up with the payments on a 63 Ford or paying off a home mortgage in the early 70's isn't the sort of information the credit agencies are going to have, and those would be the two latest examples of him having personal credit. The only way they'll have any info about how you pay utlilty bills and such is if you DON'T pay them. IOW, his personal credit history would look about like that of a 15 yr old kid. Anyone knows if you've got good credit any credit card you have will have its limit raised over time even if yo don't request the increase. Not his. He puts gas, small tools and such on a credit card he's had since the 60's and pays it off at the end of the month as a convenience rather than having to deal with a bunch of petty cash receipts. That card has a $2000 limit, same as it had 40 yrs ago. Never carrying a balance and having such a low credit limit wouldn't impress a lender even if the credit reporting agencies happened to have a file on it. More likely it'd make them wonder what caused the limit to be so low, and if there are past repo's etc that they're just not seeing. Having a bunch of money in the bank might be an indicator of ability to repay, but its no indicator of willingness to repay since the world is full of examples of people with a lot of assets who've gotten a lot of what they have by being total deadbeats when it comes to personal financial responsibility.

All done, personal credit is built by buying things on credit and making the payments on time. Business credit obviously considers any payment of prior business loans, but how long you've been in business and proof that the business has been profitable has a far greater impact on ability to get a business loan. And there's not a lot of common ground between the two unless you're willing to put up personal assets as collateral for a business loan.

Back