Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default (1) Is there a website for this place ? (2) What state is it in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
    So, quirky.com was on 60 Minutes a few weeks ago, so that's worth looking at. I've been spending time mentoring and helping to set up Columbus Idea Foundry, which hosts engineers, machinists, marketers, artists, crafters, etc. for both instruction/classes and entrepreneurial ventures. Like the incubators, but without the capital. Just moved into spacious new digs, so we're still organizing, etc. Interesting projects and opportunities walk in the door daily.

Chip
    (1) Is there a website for this place ? (2) What state is it in ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Heavey Metal View Post
    Any person with enough fight in them to be successful would rather starve than accept help from anyone.
    Seriously?

All sorts of successful people from Tom Edison to Frank Wright credit their mothers help for their success. The actual fact is that one of the single greatest determinants of success is "secure attachment." That means having at least one competent adult on your side, from the earliest days.

Many of us had parents or grandparents who lived through the Great Depression -- accepting some help along the way. Some of our most illustrious immigrants and their families are only here (or alive) because someone offered them help to escape Irish famine, Hitler's Holocaust, Soviet invasion, and the like. It works in the smallest ways, too. Was I wrong to help an even older guy get a huge door assembly into his pickup truck the other day at Home Depot?

I also don't know many people who choose to starve, rather than accept help. Some of them even seem pretty motivated - taking their families hundreds or thousands of miles to refugee camps where about all they can get is a few scraps of food.

One of the things that made the US great was that we were among the first to offer all our citizens a free public education. That fueled our ascent to the top of the industrial world. Better we were all raised by wolves than accept "help" learning how things work?

And next time there's a fire -- hey, turn the fire department away since you'd rather burn and starve than accept help from anyone?

Way I figure it, most successful people want to live in communities where their neighbors help one another. They're grateful for what they got (e.g. the billionaires giving pledge) and willing to give back.

To paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy - don't think people should help and be helped? Then you might be a narcissist or a sociopath -- or maybe just mistaken. What can be said is that we shouldn't do for people (or kids) what they can do for themselves.

As to the original post -- there are dozens of business incubators here in the Bay Area. Including a pretty much failed Tech Shop. Most effective seems to be a marginally well equipped local Community College were kids learn to make stuff and have a few tools at their disposal.

3. Likes Milland, HOBART_RC_250 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rj newbould View Post
    That person would not be very bright.
    What did you call me?!

5. Likes SIM liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    What did you call me?!
    Uhhh, RJ Newbould left his mark a few times but you can't reply to him...

BTW, this was an exemplary and thoughtful thread, which used to be typical of PM. Today it would never make it past 40 posts without a flame war from the collective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oops - a dead thread resuscitated in more ways than one. Would be nice to have RJ back.

8. Likes digger doug, eaglemike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Techshop set up here a couple of years ago. I went to their one year open house. They had a lot of interesting equipment but most was low end, Enco and the like. One fellow had a rolling sphere that would automatically turn itself to the designated right side up, which was a nice project. About all there was besides were laser cut scrapbook covers. I didn't see a single piece of real machining. Now they are closed.

I would not consider getting into a program where a bunch of people would contribute to a machine and all could use it. Except for the folks who ran test bars at the factory on my Sheldon lathe, no one but me has ever run it. Only two people besides myself have run my Promax mill.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    ...I would not consider getting into a program where a bunch of people would contribute to a machine and all could use it.
    "From each according to his ability; to each according to his need."
    Sounds great until human nature intrudes...

11. Likes eaglemike, Mcgyver, converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a makerspace like the one being described by the OP in philly called Nextfab. They have some of the best equipment I have seen in these types of spaces- Haas VF3 SS, 8x12' 5axis flowjet, Haas toolroom lathe, a bunch of bridgeports, lathes, welding equipment and cnc plasma cutter. That's just on the metal side- there is a full wood shop, a room with laser cutters, maybe a dozen 3D printers and even some serious circuit board manufacturing. You basically join it like it's a gym memebership and then more serious tools like the Haas have a small added hourly fee. Once you have an idea moving along you can even rent a small office to help get you off the ground.

A number of people have mentioned that sales and marketing are more critical to a new company. But, in a startup cash and vetting the idea are far more important. Signing up at a makerspace at $50 a month is quite a bit less than renting a shop and purchasing equipment, and more importantly making a long term financial commitment when you don't have a working prototype. Makerspace also have good communities of resources with a mix of talents. A learned a thing or two from some old school machinists, but showed them a thing or two also with some fancy newfangled cad/cam (their words).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are a few places like that around here. MakerSpace is the one I am most familiar with, a customer/friend got it started in his old shop. They have a few manual machines, a 3D Printer, welding equipment on the "industrial end".
    I think its a pretty good idea, when they got started I volunteered to teach an informal class on basic machining and safety. The guy that started it could get something machined close to what he wanted...but not quite the right way or be able to duplicate. Anyway, guy were pretty sharp and they learned alot in a few weeks...they kept paying it forward so that one class taught many.
    I thought maybe someone would have taken enough interest considering machining a profession, but all kinda wanted to learn just to learn OR they had a project they wanted done and shops don't want to take in small jobs like take .05 off here, make hole a few thou bigger...
    Think the setup was they pay X amount for basic use with a shared cubical. X+ if they want use of industrial equipment plus supplies and training classes cost YZ. Some I think setup business's from there where mail can be delivered, they have several meeting rooms available with computers, screens etc.
    Overall it is great as many can get their ideas off the ground, they get to share thoughts and knowledge in a community knowledge base. For me its too much talk and not enough action, but that is just me. Don't talk about making it...make it.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I would not consider getting into a program where a bunch of people would contribute to a machine and all could use it.
    I would, no problem. Agree, it would not be my first choice but any lathe is better than no lathe.