What's new
What's new

Ipads In The Shop--What Size?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I've been working on getting our setup sheets digitized. I now have an AirTable database up and working with our setup sheets. So the next step is Ipads in the shop. I can turn off the browser and lock them to just this app and the camera. I'm going to start out with just one. What's a good size? I eventually will have our drawings available also, but still plan on using paper copies for those. I'm looking at the Apple website right now and they have the 9.7", 10.5" and 12" Ipads? What do you use in your shop?

I'm curious about this as well.

I tried that a few years ago with tablets. problem fingers got oily or wet with coolant and it was more of a pain in the ass then it was worth.
I been playing with flat screen tvs linked to a laptop,The one for inspection helps alot looking at prints (cause there bigger ) and one at the machine works well for set-up tooling and set-up notes and pics. the mouse doesnt care if its wet or not.
Been writing a access program to use for part numbers like all the info I need for the job, tooling type, prints out inprocess inspection forms, time it takes to run etc etc.
I still prefer paper so this program will spit everything out on the printer for me.

Honestly I'd worry about our older shop guys being able to use a smaller tablet - they don't have the eyesight of a 20 year old!

We'll be doing this with our new ERP implementation so I'm interested in feedback on what others have done as well.

Honestly I'd worry about our older shop guys being able to use a smaller tablet - they don't have the eyesight of a 20 year old!

We'll be doing this with our new ERP implementation so I'm interested in feedback on what others have done as well.

My thoughts exactly! I noticed in the last couple years (I am in my late 50's) I have increased the font size when I print out a program, put clip on lights around the shop and use an eye loupe to read fine print.

good topic, trying imagine something similar. One company in the area does everything via biometric finger print scanner and you enter a job number with some sort tablet for field work. Real time info, no paper and no office staff keying time sheets in.

Why an ipad though? I'd be looking for a tablet that was easier to work with, less proprietary. That's not a sophisticated IT view, just one based on how frustrating it is to work with an ipad if your base/network is the PC world. You can't even connect them very well without #@$ %$^$% itunes

LOl my nana had cataract surgery last week, day after, oh its no better don't see the point in getting the other done, Looking at her, post surgery eye pupil was like a black hole, original eye looked like a bloody frosted window!

3 days later, "have not seen so well in 20 years!"

As to I pads in the shop, IMHO the most use full bit with them is the camera for setup records, we used one a lot on fab work, never had one - used one around machines though so nut sure how much of a issue it would be. Key things screen protectors and a tough case. The speakers got full of fillings pretty soon, but other than that they hold up well.

my shop said no to ipads but ok to more smaller desktop computers with bigger 27" screens. wide screen can see setup sheet on left half of screen and another program on right side of screen. and desktop computer has microsoft office excel powerpoint word and other programs used to connect cnc with programs and tool database system.

Have you had your eyes tested? I had cataract surgery and all my sight problems disappeared. It is the most wonderful experience ever. I can see so well it's almost frightening. In good light I can read the newspaper without specs,and in ordinary light I can see as far as there is something to see. No pain no gain,but there wasn't any pain.

My last visit to the optometrist they said I had the beginning of cataracts, but nothing to worry about yet.

Will you have to pay for it or are you insured? If you are insured then I would push for it. It is not easy to describe the huge benefits but post op. everything associated with sight is so much better.

I do not currently have insurance, I pay cash for everything. Fortunately my insulin, needles, and heart meds I take only add up to $150 a month.

I do not currently have insurance, I pay cash for everything. Fortunately my insulin, needles, and heart meds I take only add up to $150 a month.

What kind/how much insulin are you taking that it is only $150 a month!?! :eek: Not to mention the other stuff...

What kind/how much insulin are you taking that it is only $150 a month!?! :eek: Not to mention the other stuff...

Novilin N, a vial is only like $24 at Walmart. I go through a little more than a vial a month. I hate Walmart but they sell insulin and needles at 1/5 the price of most places. Also unlike California where I escaped from in 2010, you can buy insulin and needles with out a prescription here, maybe that is why it is cheap to be a diabetic here. I even added in the vitamins I take to get to $150 a month. Between the syringes and I do reuse my own needles a couple times with the insulin being a diabetic probably only costs $40-$50 a month.

P.S. For the record last I checked CVS charged $125 a vial, cash price for the same insulin Walmart sells for $24.

I do reuse my own needles a couple times

Ah amateurs, run em through the dishwasher! When you can not get em to go in with a 2lb hammer i take it you can touch em up on the bench grinder?

Seriously though are the needles that expensive? I buy needles for a product as its the cheapest way to get the small stainless tubing, my case there blunt industrial ones but still from a medical supply place, but a box of 100 is is peanuts not sure how thin you go, but i can get 24 gauge needles for less than £2.50 a hundred over here for sharp sterile ones?

What software is your new ERP?

Don't know! I left that to the corporate folks since they will be using it at several places they own. I reviewed/approved their stated requirements to make sure it covered the shop side and now it is sit on my hands and wait time.

Ah amateurs, run em through the dishwasher! When you can not get em to go in with a 2lb hammer i take it you can touch em up on the bench grinder?

Seriously though are the needles that expensive? I buy needles for a product as its the cheapest way to get the small stainless tubing, my case there blunt industrial ones but still from a medical supply place, but a box of 100 is is peanuts not sure how thin you go, but i can get 24 gauge needles for less than £2.50 a hundred over here for sharp sterile ones?

They are cheap, reusing them is a habit I got into when I lived in Cali and needed a prescription to buy them and my HMO would only write a prescription for a month supply at a time, got tired of going to the doctor once a month just to get a prescription for needles.

Munruh,

I'd recommend getting a Microsoft Surface vs. an iPad. I'm a Mac guy on the computer; however, if this is for your shop employees and to run an ERP system, you want something that's more of a computer. A Surface is an actual computer in a tablet - an iPad is not. A Surface will allow you to install any software that's available for desktops (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Adobe Acrobat, etc.) while an iPad will only allow you to download and install mobile applications.

At the high end, I'd recommend something like that: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Su...83253&sr=1-3&keywords=microsoft+surface+pro+6

And at the low end, you can explore these: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Switch-...F8&qid=1548783300&sr=1-3&keywords=acer+switch

Back