What's new
What's new

Issue with the MSC Direct website

clarnibass

Aluminum
Hi

I wasn't sure what is the right sub-forum for this, please move if this is the wrong one.

If I go to the MSC website I get a message: "MSCdirect.com is currently not available for your use."
It says that "If you feel you've received this message in error" to contact them by phone or email and they will be happy to assist.

Well I emailed and got a reply that I should call for help. I'm in a far away country and prefer email, which they suggest, plus it's a toll free number which is problematic to call from abroad.

I was able to have one person in the USA check and the website worked fine.
I've ordered from them several time before.
Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like they blocked the website to outside the USA (or North America maybe)...

I couldn't find anything by Googling that "error" message or anything about their website being down or blocked to anyone.

Does anyone know anything?

Thank you!

Thanks. I'm checking elsewhere too, and it seems that no one in the US is having this issue and it works fine. So far I found one person in Europe who could check and they have the same problem. So it seems that they are blocking it, possibly what red beard suggested. I've always had my orders shipped to a US address, but can't access the website now. The UK version is working, which doesn't matter since my orders are to a US address.

Just phoned MSC and they said since you're half a day away you probably tried while the site was shut down for updating, which they do just about every night.

In this day and age shutting down a website for maintenance is laughable. Absolutely not needed. Create mutiple databases, mutiple " instances". Ramp up new site, shut down the old site. Little more involved than that but any programmer making six figures can do it.

MSC sucks to no end, you need to find other vendors to buy from. They are on my "buy from at last resort" list along with Graingers. My sentiments are shared by many others here. What are you buying? Let us help you find better sources.

OK so I did get another more informative reply from them. According to them, they did some security updates and as a result some IP address are blocked in error. In those cases the error is the same as what I get so it's possible this is the problem.

Have you considered that maybe it is your own government blocking you?
Yes, and they are not... yet.

What are you buying? Let us help you find better sources.
In this case I was planning on browsing their dies page and see. I was looking at a couple of non-standard sizes that I remember only seeing there. I don't remember what they are right now, maybe M2x0.35mm and M2x0.45mm.

Also MSC is one of the only sources I found for good quality (Japanese) adjustable dies. All the dies available locally are either very good closed dies, or cheap Chinese adjustable dies.

In this day and age shutting down a website for maintenance is laughable. Absolutely not needed. Create mutiple databases, mutiple " instances". Ramp up new site, shut down the old site. Little more involved than that but any programmer making six figures can do it.

Sure. WTF, it's only digitizing a 4,454 page catalog incorporating products from a large number of suppliers. Piece of cake to keep that updated.

As an aside, it is not out of the question that his government might block his access. Until a couple years ago motorsport was actually illegal in Israel...and for all the import obstacles it still might as well be.

As an aside, it is not out of the question that his government might block his access. Until a couple years ago motorsport was actually illegal in Israel...and for all the import obstacles it still might as well be.
Murder is also illegal... more hard evidence. Sorry but it's obvious you don't understand what's going on here (in Israel). MSC didn't even ship to Israel (as far as I remember) and you can get any similar product from so many other websites that are not blocked. I guess it's different if you are not here, but it's very easy to tell that in this case it wasn't the government blocking it. If you are talking about things like Chinese government blocking Facebook, etc. this doesn't happen here... yet. MSC would be way low on the list (so low it wouldn't even be on it).

Re motor sports, I have no idea about that, but there was a huge Formula event here a few years ago organized by... the government.
I just searched a bit more and found the Israel Motor Sports Association which started in 1990. There is actually a motor sports academy where you can take courses.
I have no idea where you came up with this. The government here is one of the worst, just horrible, but in this case it's not it. BTW MSC is not known here, probably next to no one in Israel even heard of it, let alone order from them.

Anyway, back to reality, two people from two different countries got the exact same error message and MSC pretty much confirmed this is exactly what happens because of the glitch in their update.

Oldwrench,

4454 pages is nothing. It could be 1 million pages. Its just data. A good website should already have his site on several servers. Mine is on the East coast, West coast, Europe, etc. It makes your website more responsive. If for some reason the East coast server is down the West coast server takes over instantly.

If your website has a lot of photos its not uncommon to have a seperate server just for that. When you are on some websites the text may be comming from one server and the photos may be comming from a different server several hundred miles away. Pages load much faster since the load is shared.

Re motor sports, I have no idea about that, but there was a huge Formula event here a few years ago organized by... the government...I have no idea where you came up with this.

I came up with it because I have manufactured race car parts, shipping them internationally for the last 30 years, and there was a time when auto racing was prohibited in Israel. Maybe longer ago than a couple years (time seems to compress as one gets older) but it really was. Since you admit you don't know about it, why argue? Are you Gordon in another life?

If your website has a lot of photos its not uncommon to have a seperate server just for that. When you are on some websites the text may be comming from one server and the photos may be comming from a different server several hundred miles away. Pages load much faster since the load is shared.

They also load quicker if you use the same photo 500 times. The time and effort spent on website updating I was referring to is that required to accurately present the product for sale, individually and grammatically. But, hey, whatever works.

OK so I did get another more informative reply from them. According to them, they did some security updates and as a result some IP address are blocked in error. In those cases the error is the same as what I get so it's possible this is the problem.

Yes, and they are not... yet.

In this case I was planning on browsing their dies page and see. I was looking at a couple of non-standard sizes that I remember only seeing there. I don't remember what they are right now, maybe M2x0.35mm and M2x0.45mm.

Also MSC is one of the only sources I found for good quality (Japanese) adjustable dies. All the dies available locally are either very good closed dies, or cheap Chinese adjustable dies.

McMaster-Carr has those sizes I just checked, also even though they don't list brands pretty much everything they carry is of good quality. They are very weak in the insert tooling category unfortunately. Also their website and customer service is the gold standard.

I think the only time I have gone to the site is when someone on here links to it to help someone out.
I just tried to go to it, I this pic,

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 12 16.24.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 12 16.24.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 196

Back