I've had it with Health Insurance, looked and found online Primary Care in WA State. - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 190 of 190
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I may have *said* this already... if you quit that job I am going to kick your ass!

    Seriously, you are sounding like Gorod preaching 'bout Denamrk... NO ONE has that great a job. And being a 'youngster' you don't know how good you have it likely.
    Ah well.. Galis had a plant-wide layoff, ISTR January of '65. Union shop, 30 hands as had seniority over me. So I went off and found another job. Get a phone call, August of '65 to come back to work.

    "Can't do it. Three-year contract, new job.", Sez I.

    "Great benefits, too. Food and beverages free, free health care including vision, dental, even plastic surgery if I need that, no deductible, no co-pay, no charge for lab work or pharma, either.

    Free housing, free food, free clothing, all the advanced training I can pass the tests to take.

    Thirty days a year fully paid vacation, free chance at air travel to take advantage of it, nearly world-wide, space available. "

    "Oh my GOD!" the personnel gal sez. "Where did you ever get a deal like THAT?"

    "Well.. there's a downside, of course. The free housing tends to be cheaply built and come with unpleasant neighbours and a heavy ration of noise. The free clothing comes all the same funky colours, and a Private Sojer, Regular Army, only sees $47.88 a month in cash."

    They DO pay better, nowadays.

    But the loud noises and the neighbours' rude behaviour are worse than ever, so yah still have to EARN it.



    Now. there's the other part. Handing the DoD (or MoD) what amounts to a blank check, to be enchased if the employer needs it. For any amount, up to and including yer life.

    Hold on a minute.

    Civilian employment.

    Just look at ourselves. Long years shoulder to the wheel. Not necessarily any greater say in what's to be done that day than a GI under orders. Some days, LESS.

    Not necessarily any lower risk, exposure to hazards, chemicals, and industrial - or even commuter - traffic, accidents as they can be.

    Is the civilian equivalent of that proverbial "blank check" REALLY NOT "any amount, up to and including your life"? Or the slower waste of it?

    Or are we just kidding ourselves it is?

    A service person under arms is at least able to fight back at enemies. With help, even recommend how best, and where.

    Are we as well blessed in our civilian roles? Or more often just helpless fuckees?

  2. Likes Newman109, Ox liked this post
  3. #182
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    1,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, and the UK NHS thinks exactly this.
    Both my inlaws when they passed (82), we were told "they had a good innings"... and I was told by the registrar that "80 is the NHS magic number". They really have to justify spending much resource on you when you've passed that birthday...

    But, some people are different. Take my 'ol chap. He's 80 and still up on a roof when he needs to, and doing building work. And has told me he won't stop until he can't do it any longer.
    If he was rushed into hospital for anything, they better prepare themselves for some disagreements because he isn't the average 80 year old.
    So guidelines can be okay, but it depends...
    Sure, exclusions always exist. A good friend of mine's mother is in her 90's. When I visit I will find her outside working in her garden. She still grows much of what they eat, as she has their whole life. She cans, she does all of those things.

    Based on family history, it is unlikely that I will make it to 80. It is a fact of life. Statistically I look at the majority of 80 year olds I see and do not see a life worth continuing to live. It is not something to look forward to. My gene's do not point towards that. So what? Who do I sue for genetic discrimination? It isn't my fault I was born with these gene's. (sarcasm FYI)

    I would rather enjoy a full fun life before 80, and if I make it... hell, I'll figure it out when I get there. But I am sure not spending my life's work to get me there!

  4. Likes barbter liked this post
  5. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2356
    Likes (Received)
    1452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Sure, exclusions always exist. A good friend of mine's mother is in her 90's. When I visit I will find her outside working in her garden. She still grows much of what they eat, as she has their whole life. She cans, she does all of those things.

    Based on family history, it is unlikely that I will make it to 80. It is a fact of life. Statistically I look at the majority of 80 year olds I see and do not see a life worth continuing to live. It is not something to look forward to. My gene's do not point towards that. So what? Who do I sue for genetic discrimination? It isn't my fault I was born with these gene's. (sarcasm FYI)

    I would rather enjoy a full fun life before 80, and if I make it... hell, I'll figure it out when I get there. But I am sure not spending my life's work to get me there!
    Well I have passed that landmark and I am not complaining. I still enjoy a pint or three,have plenty of holidays,walk the dogs in the local forest,dine out on Tuesdays with friends,have Wednesday club every Thursday down the pub.You never know who will turn up,ages between 18 and 80 plus,but you can guarantee we will be laughing with and at each other.
    There is a lot more and I would not change any of it. I have been reliably informed that you are a long time dead.

  6. Likes Ox, barbter liked this post
  7. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    195
    Likes (Received)
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    My wife and I have had many arguments about this topic. I won't spend a dime to fund a doctors vacation home, so Summa or Cleveland Clinic can post record profits. I pray I die like my grandfather. Dead before he hit the ground. They even tried to keep him alive. My mother was pissed since he had a DNR. I mean seriously, the guy had been laying in the snow and ice long enough to melt a "body" shape. At the hospital the doctors rushed my mom into the ER where they had him on life support trying to keep him alive. He had been dead for over 2 hours at this point.

    We have a long standing joke. When it is my time, I will go on one last backpacking trip. With no plans of returning.

    My wife's concern is that she will get caught by Forest Service personnel smearing peanut butter on me in hopes that the bears will eat me.
    Chin up now, you may find you are equal to a certain fellow by the name of Hugh Glass

  8. #185
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    There is a lot more and I would not change any of it. I have been reliably informed that you are a long time dead.
    Good on yah. Time eventually does does come for dyin'?

    Nobody in MY family has failed at it, yet. Job gits done. Like any other.

    Mind, we be right notorious procrastinators, often decades, if not scores of years late for our own funerals. Somebody else's job to worry about hurry it out.

  9. Likes Ox, camscan liked this post
  10. #186
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2356
    Likes (Received)
    1452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Good on yah. Time eventually does does come for dyin'?

    Nobody in MY family has failed at it, yet. Job gits done. Like any other.

    Mind, we be right notorious procrastinators, often decades, if not scores of years late for our own funerals. Somebody else's job to worry about hurry it out.
    I know you are right Bill but I still have a couple of bob in the bank and until that has been spent I am not going anywhere.
    The man upstairs may whistle and shout but I will just cock a deaf one.
    Oh bugger,I should not have said that,I am not deaf. But if I were I would just go to the doctor and get it sorted. AND,in the words of the immortal,FOC. (Sorry fellas,just couldn't resist).

  11. #187
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    1,596
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I know you are right Bill but I still have a couple of bob in the bank and until that has been spent I am not going anywhere.
    The man upstairs may whistle and shout but I will just cock a deaf one.
    Oh bugger,I should not have said that,I am not deaf. But if I were I would just go to the doctor and get it sorted. AND,in the words of the immortal,FOC. (Sorry fellas,just couldn't resist).
    I feel like you just laid an excellent opening to a Monty sketch... you dying mid... something

  12. #188
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I know you are right Bill but I still have a couple of bob in the bank and until that has been spent I am not going anywhere.
    The man upstairs may whistle and shout but I will just cock a deaf one.
    Oh bugger,I should not have said that,I am not deaf. But if I were I would just go to the doctor and get it sorted. AND,in the words of the immortal,FOC. (Sorry fellas,just couldn't resist).
    LOL! There's the attitude.

    Late for your own funeral so's yah can enjoy a piss-up at the wake without concern over a hangover, gittin' habituated.... or even having to pick-up that last massive bar tab!

    F**k 'em.

    Even if they CAN take a joke!


  13. Likes camscan liked this post
  14. #189
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Norfolk England
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2356
    Likes (Received)
    1452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    I feel like you just laid an excellent opening to a Monty sketch... you dying mid... something
    If you are suggesting dying mid....then absolutely no chance.
    I've tried chasing her round the bedroom but when I catch her I can't remember why.

  15. Likes Ox liked this post
  16. #190
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    25,645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    If you are suggesting dying mid....then absolutely no chance.
    I've tried chasing her round the bedroom but when I catch her I can't remember why.
    Git to old to cut the mustard, try licking the jar. It'll all.."come back to you".

    Oh. Wait. ???

    Welll.

    Guess that at least explains the SE grin and stir-fried dog food, yah?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •