I've had it with Health Insurance, looked and found online Primary Care in WA State. - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You have to be more specific than that. London has more billionaires per square mile than any other city in the world.

The U.K. added 14 new billionaires last year, bringing the total to a record 134, according to the Sunday Times Rich List. The Times said London has the most billionaires of any city, with 86. (According to Forbes' tally, New York has 82).
    All that money, All that investment, it must be Fake News!
    The gov said that because of Brexit in 2016, there was going to be an instant recession blarrrrr, blarrrrr, blarrrrr...

Ooops, wrong thread...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laminar-flow View Post
    You might be right, but I've been and like the steam shows, aviation stuff, museums, right to roam hiking, history, healthcare, and the weather. Joking about the weather. Not London, but a simple village somewhere away from a big city.
    Pacifc Northwest? You might like Kernow, then.

But is is not that easy, actually.

UK has a higher average population density than China, housing costs, according and food and transport costs hard for a North American to even believe. Most of Europe has that challenge, actually.

Swiss surrogate Son visits, his take is that the meats in their markets are all at the high-end of the quality range in US markets, justify twice the price. But actually cost more like FIVE times as much. And we don't even HAVE breads of the quality the Swiss produce. They do breads better even than the French or Italians. Mind - a goodly number of Swiss sort-of ARE French or Italian.

Eire has a lot more space, not all that unattractive to retirees. Also far lower impact off a single megalopolis-city-state ("Greater" - or some say it is - London), more reasonable housing costs.

Beverages in the UK are not SERVED "warm". "Cellar temperature" rather, and given the brews are actually DRINKABLE, that works very MUCH better than over-chilled swill that has to be teeth-pinging cold so yah don't notice the nastyiness of it.

At the price per pint it surely can get warm whilst being nursed as long as possible to avoid instant bankruptcy, though!.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ...that works very MUCH better than over-chilled swill that has to be teeth-pinging cold so yah don't notice the nastyiness of it.

3 letters....PBR....but my Southern mates love it!
    :shudder:

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    All that money, All that investment, it must be Fake News!
    I can't find anywhere that they are investing in the UK, just living there.

This doesn't surprise me. I suppose it could be called an investment but most of the "jobs" (players) go to foreigners.

List of owners of English football clubs - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=barbter;3395120]3 letters....PBR....but my Southern mates love it!
    :shudder:[/QUOTE

In the early 70's when I worked in Milwaukee where PBR was brewed, it was priced as a premium beer. I compared PBR to dishwater. I always drank Miller Highlife.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

:shudder:
    Stocks are running low at the moment, but:

England or the Danelaw:

Wells Bombardier
    Black Sheep
    Old Speckled Hen
    Wychwood's Hobgoblin
    Fullers London Pride
    Fullers London Porter
    Tadcaster Porter

Scotland:

Innis & Gunn (Blood Red Sky, my favourite)

The Americas:

Yuengling Old
    Dos Equis Gold
    Negro Modelo
    Red Stripe

Germany;

Hacker-Pschorr
    Hofbrau Dunkel

Asia:

Kirin ichiban
    Phillipine San Miguel

I allow myself about two in three weeks.

Weight issue, mostly. GOOD beer actually is "food".

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    GOOD beer actually is "food".
    They certainly are taxed (VAT 7%) as such in Germany.

In Germany, the reduced VAT rate is 7 %, the standard VAT rate is 19 %.

Stopped years ago but in "the good old days" blood donors here were offered a beer as thanks.

8. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have to be more specific than that. London has more billionaires per square mile than any other city in the world.

The U.K. added 14 new billionaires last year, bringing the total to a record 134, according to the Sunday Times Rich List. The Times said London has the most billionaires of any city, with 86. (According to Forbes' tally, New York has 82).
    I know quite a lot of people who moved here from there, and the few who unfortunately had to go back looked like they were being sent back to a prison in North Korea. They vowed to try to flee again for a better freer life, a less oppressive government. There's a thousand places I'd move to before a sh*thole like London.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=converterking;3395135]
    :shudder:[/QUOTE

In the early 70's when I worked in Milwaukee where PBR was brewed, it was priced as a premium beer. I compared PBR to dishwater. I always drank Miller Highlife.
    I have NO words for this statement. I am literally speechless. Or maybe I just don't know where to begin.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    I know quite a lot of people who moved here from there, and the few who unfortunately had to go back looked like they were being sent back to a prison in North Korea. They vowed to try to flee again for a better freer life, a less oppressive government. There's a thousand places I'd move to before a sh*thole like London.
    I'll agree with that, and I live only 100 miles away.

I think the greatest shock for anyone from the US, even more from Canada, would be how crowded the UK is. There are parts that have much lower population densities than average but you wouldn't get to live there because they're the same as Yellowstone or Yosemite etc. (but smaller). Fuel costs could be a shock as well $5.75/US gallon for petrol, somewhat more for Diesel. Conversely an F250 or GMC 1500 is regarded as an obese sort of penis replacement over here and most vehicles are frugal in their fuel consumption by comparison.

Houses are smaller on average and more expensive (lack of space). A 3 bed duplex will typically cost $240,000-$300,000.

Taxes are generally higher, but benefits are higher as well. National Insurance works out at 12% of employees pay from $10,000 to $60,000/year plus another 13.8% from the employer. This covers all health, unemployment and retirement costs. State retirement pension is $10,675 with a bit more depending on what you've earned over the years but you need up to 30 years contributions to get the full pension. You can make up the pension payments at any time before drawing it and the government will tell you how much it wants for that.. You get a free bus pass at retirement age (typically 66-67) .

Income tax is nothing up to $15,000, 20% from there to $60,725, 40% from there to $182,000 and 45% above that.

Beer is typically $1.28-$1.4/US pint in shops and typically twice that in pubs. This is for the 5%-7.5% ABV, nicely flavoured, beers that I live on. Mass produced lagers are available at lower prices.

Ribeye is about $7.60/US lb. Potatoes are about $0.40/US lb.

All prices and quantities have been converted to US units as best as I can.

I can't predict whether it would be worth moving for anyone. The lad who was in the room next to me in the first year in university moved to the US with his job and got US nationality this year. Me, being a type 1 diabetic and early retired, am better off in the UK.

12. Likes Ox, Bobw, TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

plus another 13.8% from the employer.

Yet another hidden tax that Joe Public doesn't realize or think about.

How about that higher up tax bracket?

-----------------------

There's one for you, nineteen for me
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

State Of Washington Will Launch Universally Available Health Care Option | KPBS

Looks like there will be a statewide public option beginning in 2021. If we are still kicking in 2 years. Nowhere did they claim it will be cheap but It will have to be affordable to make any kind of sense.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Billionaires are part of the world's problems. I wouldn't consider them a metric for quantifying quality.

16. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    I can only guess at the reaction if any non American wrote something similar about the USA or New York LOL From what you write you seem pleased living where you live and of course that's excellent.

I'm wondering why those you know were forced to go back apparently against their will?

Personally I wouldn't want to live in London either but, as you so eloquently describe it, it's neither a sh*thole or like North Korea. Last time I was in London was 3 years ago and enjoyed it very much although wouldn't want to live in any city permanently. Maybe billionaires like sh*tholes and oppressive governments?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9finger View Post
    Billionaires are part of the world's problems. I wouldn't consider them a metric for quantifying quality.
    Neither would I and I don't know how you got that out of my post. I posted a fact.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    plus another 13.8% from the employer.

Yet another hidden tax that Joe Public doesn't realize or think about.

How about that higher up tax bracket?

-----------------------

There's one for you, nineteen for me
    Ox
    If it was "hidden" then the exact percentage wouldn't be known. I'm sure some of your tax money goes to things you know nothing about and wouldn't approve of either.

No two countries have exactly the same tax system but the citizens in some countries don't protest or object as much as some in other countries.

I'm sure it must be strange to many Americans why those in several other countries don't protest much over what on paper are high taxes. The only logical explanation seems to be that they feel they know what they are getting for their money.

What interests me most is how much money I have to use after tax on the things that aren't essential for survival. Usually our biggest decision/problem is deciding when and where to go on vacation.

We have a house (large by Danish standards) and a Summer house (10 minutes from the sea), a car each, eat well, both like what we do etc. etc. and as good as everything we own is debt free. I've no idea what I can complain about within reason.

Of course I do complain now and then but that's just human nature. Complaining about tax is way down on my list. Hmm, I don't have a list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have insurance on several things. I can't think of one single one where I hope I need it. I have insurance for various things in case something does go wrong that would probably cost more than the insurance.

Yes Gordon, my post was in response to someone deciding to put insurance premiums into a personal account, letting account grow with interest instead of purchasing insurance.
    While that can work very well for checkups, colds, flu, maybe a broken bone or two...but get into something serious and that saving account will dry up very quickly.

There was some talk about you can't save everyone, how long do treatments last is it worth it to dump so much money into... Year ago you just died.

True...but today what was not even possibly years ago is routine. Bypass, stents, heart surgery, replacement knees and hips, some cancers, leukemia... Pretty much any of those would wipe out a personal savings account, but would give potential of many good years of happiness. I think if it was my life...I'd say eh...but if my daughters, well it is do and or try anything and I know my funds would be limited after savings, business, house are gone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neither would I and I don't know how you got that out of my post. I posted a fact.
    I wasn't deriving anything from your post, or disagreeing with you. Simply adding on.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Yes Gordon, my post was in response to someone deciding to put insurance premiums into a personal account, letting account grow with interest instead of purchasing insurance.
    While that can work very well for checkups, colds, flu, maybe a broken bone or two...but get into something serious and that saving account will dry up very quickly.

There was some talk about you can't save everyone, how long do treatments last is it worth it to dump so much money into... Year ago you just died.

True...but today what was not even possibly years ago is routine. Bypass, stents, heart surgery, replacement knees and hips, some cancers, leukemia... Pretty much any of those would wipe out a personal savings account, but would give potential of many good years of happiness. I think if it was my life...I'd say eh...but if my daughters, well it is do and or try anything and I know my funds would be limited after savings, business, house are gone.
    But there is the difference. My "savings, business, house" wouldn't be gone. At least not because of medical bills.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9finger View Post
    I wasn't deriving anything from your post, or disagreeing with you. Simply adding on.
    OK but what you added on looked (at least to me) like nothing to do with what I posted. You IMO were expressing a personal opinion.