I've had it with Health Insurance, looked and found online Primary Care in WA State. - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    C) For God knows what reason, but the US is willing to pay 25x (?) more for the same drugs that anywhere else in the world does.
    I'm not sure how it is elsewhere but with as good as all medicine bought with a doctor's prescription here gets a good discount.

I've been in drugstores in the USA (for Aspirin or similar) and was surprised at how much could be bought without a doctor's prescription. I doubt if a tenth of what you have available can be bought here without a doctor's prescription.

An example. If I buy a packet (10 pills) of Panodil (Aspirin ?) without a prescription it'll cost me about $4. If I buy a bottle with 300 pills with a doctor's prescription then around $10.

I think the US name for Panodil is Acetaminophen.

Sorry Ox but going to a doctor here doesn't cost anything so it'd be daft not to go if necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HSA's are good too - as they make you think about if you really want to get this or that done.
    It's your Money. How doo you wunna spend it?
    Is it worth $250,000 to you to go through this treatment, knowing that the odds are slim to nothing that it will cure you?
    Or would you rather not leave your family dead broke?
    Thank God me, my wife or family didn't have to make that kind of decision when I was in hospital 4 weeks (first 2 weeks in intensive care) and then 8 weeks in rehab learning to walk again. I still get checked at the hospital twice a year and am doing great.

At no time did I have to think about money as I pay my taxes so my healthcare is covered.

Ox I'm not trying to raise your blood pressure but that's how things are most places.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Thank God me, my wife or family didn't have to make that kind of decision when I was in hospital 4 weeks (first 2 weeks in intensive care) and then 8 weeks in rehab learning to walk again. I still get checked at the hospital twice a year and am doing great.

At no time did I have to think about money as I pay my taxes so my healthcare is covered.

Ox I'm not trying to raise your blood pressure but that's how things are most places.
    Just how many aneurysms have you had?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    Gordon,

snip

Everybody is on here bitching and complaining about healthcare costs, and they have a right to. But then again, if a person has required hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) in healthcare to get to this point, shouldn’t that person be paying more than Joe Healthy of the same age who has cost the system very little?

snip
    I would have probably agreed with this 10 years ago. Never got sick, was on no prescriptions, etc. Fast forward to a 3-4 years ago, I got diagnosed with diabetes, admitted to hospital on the verge of a coma. Stayed for a few days or so, left with half dozen scripts for needles, insulin, etc etc. Dropped over $800 at the pharmacy as my deductible wasn't met because I was on the "budget" plan ins. < Mind you I had ins costing me around $500/month...

Then a couple years ago I got sepsis and was laid up in icu for a while, then to 'regular' hospital care, then on to re-hab for a week, then followed by two weeks of home nurse visits. < That was thankfully all covered as I switched to the premium ins plan. Point is I guess, I never *needed* my health ins before then, should I now pay double/triple rates of "healthy" people? I paid in alot of years without getting anything in return other than peace of mind, just in case.

5. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I would have probably agreed with this 10 years ago. Never got sick, was on no prescriptions, etc. Fast forward to a 3-4 years ago, I got diagnosed with diabetes, admitted to hospital on the verge of a coma. Stayed for a few days or so, left with half dozen scripts for needles, insulin, etc etc. Dropped over $800 at the pharmacy as my deductible wasn't met because I was on the "budget" plan ins. < Mind you I had ins costing me around $500/month...

Then a couple years ago I got sepsis and was laid up in icu for a while, then to 'regular' hospital care, then on to re-hab for a week, then followed by two weeks of home nurse visits. < That was thankfully all covered as I switched to the premium ins plan. Point is I guess, I never *needed* my health ins before then, should I now pay double/triple rates of "healthy" people? I paid in alot of years without getting anything in return other than peace of mind, just in case.
    Not sure how or why my name appeared in your post.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Just how many aneurysms have you had?
    Just the one. "Either we operate immediately or you die" Easy decision. I believe that has its own thread if you look. Then again maybe one of the thousands of posts by me that got deleted.

Only 20% live to tell the tale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just the one. "Either we operate immediately or you die" Easy decision. I believe that has its own thread if you look. Then again maybe one of the thousands of posts by me that got deleted.

Only 20% live to tell the tale.
    Aren't we lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that your assessment of where the fat is - is slightly off kilter.

A) If you took the Ins Co out of the equazsion, then those folks would then just work for the Gov.
    Someone still has to run the paperwork on everything that gets done.

B) IMO - the bulk of the fat is in very high costs of the care it'self, and the drugs that are used.

B1) Big hospitals have been buying up all the smaller ones. Not b/c they are broke.

B2) Big Pharma aint broke.

C) For God knows what reason, but the US is willing to pay 25x (?) more for the same drugs that anywhere else in the world does.
    C1) If we start paying what others doo - then you can kiss new development goodbye.
    C2) Then the rest of the world that uses new drugs will be sorry.

Personally I seem to be in between most of you.
    I'm not quite like the Cat Man as I feel that it is more of a right - at least to some point.
    If only those that could afford health care themselves - got it, then that would mean that only those that are healthy and can keep a job can get the care - that they don't need.

On the other side, I am NOT of the mentality that we need to dump beaucoup bucks into the average Joe.
    How can anyone - and these days EVERYONE (including the hospitals) think that we as a people can afford to dump $1,000,000 in med bills into a populous that only averages maybe $2,000,000 in their lifetime?

Does it seem like a good plan to put 50% of everything that you earn in your lifetime into med costs?
    It is not sustainable!
    Either we need cheaper care, or we need to die.

I am all for Death Boards when it comes to health care.
    And I am all for Death Tax too. (read - no Living Trusts!)
    These are GOOD things!

HSA's are good too - as they make you think about if you really want to get this or that done.
    It's your Money. How doo you wunna spend it?
    Is it worth $250,000 to you to go through this treatment, knowing that the odds are slim to nothing that it will cure you?
    Or would you rather not leave your family dead broke?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

p
    If you can't beat them- join them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We understand.
    The subject is not about how it is elsewhere.

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

11. Likes converterking, Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry Ox but going to a doctor here doesn't cost anything so it'd be daft not to go if necessary. Better safe than sorry.
    You pay more in gasoline tax on a doctor visit than my $10 deductible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    You pay more in gasoline tax on a doctor visit than my $10 deductible.
    How much do you pay every month to keep that $10 deductible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    How much do you pay every month to keep that $10 deductible?
    $111 a month

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    $111 a month
    I think this right here is the part that horrifies our European friends/forum members/acquaintances....

Their systems all have flaws, and I'm sure they all know them... But this is unfathomable to pretty much anyone from a developed first world country that isn't America.

This is life as I've always known it, having grown up in America...

But it doesn't HAVE to be.

I see Toolcat's point that no, more taxes are not a good thing... But I see PDW's point that WE ALREADY SPEND THAT MUCH, AND MORE on healthcare, we're just dumping it into the wrong places, we're lining insurance company's pockets, instead of just paying providers.

How many employees does an insurance agency have? How many secretaries? How many salesmen? How many janitors to clean the offices?

What do any of them add to healthcare? Nothing except overhead.

Cut the fat, we could have healthcare for all without an increase in individual cost (in an ideal world... Obviously I know and accept that government cannot do ANYTHING efficiently).

I'm fortunate to have free healthcare through work... As a whole, the majority of Americans are not so lucky.

I don't claim to have all the answers... But I know there's gotta be something better than what we're doing now.
    JC! Where are you guys getting coverage??!!? NICE...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I feel for you. This is very much a case where single payer would work in your favour (if implemented to serve the customer). I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1965. In the UK, the NHS typically pays between $19 and $36 for 10ml of insulin, depending on type. There are studies that show that they are being severely ripped of at those prices!!! The three major suppliers, none of whom are US companies, have worked the patent system and skirted on anti-competition laws for many years to prevent generics becoming available and to control the market. I don't know how things like this will be fixed, But they certainly need to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    I feel for you. This is very much a case where single payer would work in your favour (if implemented to serve the customer). I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1965. In the UK, the NHS typically pays between $19 and $36 for 10ml of insulin, depending on type. There are studies that show that they are being severely ripped of at those prices!!! The three major suppliers, none of whom are US companies, have worked the patent system and skirted on anti-competition laws for many years to prevent generics becoming available and to control the market. I don't know how things like this will be fixed, But they certainly need to be.
    I agree with all of this. We all know what needs to be done but no one knows how to make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Work pays my dental, health, vision... There's also a clinic on site at all of our major facilities staffed full time, and it's free to all employees and their families, regardless if they're on the work provided insurance or not. Only requirement for me is to get a physical once a year, and meet their fitness goals (If you're pre diabetic, take a class on nutrition, if you test positive for nicotine, take a smoking cessation class, etc).

It's been my life for the last 7.5 years, but it's something that most here, and most in America in general could only dream about having.

And, surprise, surprise, The Owner (yes, capitals, and it's all owned by one guy) is from Europe....

19. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife works for a large healthcare company. I get it through her.

21. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

]

Work pays my dental, health, vision... There's also a clinic on site at all of our major facilities staffed full time, and it's free to all employees and their families, regardless if they're on the work provided insurance or not. Only requirement for me is to get a physical once a year, and meet their fitness goals (If you're pre diabetic, take a class on nutrition, if you test positive for nicotine, take a smoking cessation class, etc).

It's been my life for the last 7.5 years, but it's something that most here, and most in America in general could only dream about having.

And, surprise, surprise, The Owner (yes, capitals, and it's all owned by one guy) is from Europe....
    Stupid thing not wanting to quote correctly hope this is right.

I think you posted before about getting yearly cost of living increases and such, AND liking your job. You have no idea how lucky you are!! Keep that job or I'm going to look you up and kick your ass LOL.

I remember when employee coverage, for free, was the norm, and family was a small premium... <<sigh>> those were the days.

YouTube
    (:

23. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any chance of expanding to a barber some day soon?
    Or would that be too much "Company Store" type situation?

----------------------

The Destroyers
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am all for Death Boards when it comes to health care.
    Ox
    In the way it works now often the "Death Board" becomes the family decisions.
    Both my parents. Lots of hand wringing and what to do.
    Dad was fairly clear to me about end of life and watching his fathers. That information surprised my siblings when the shit hit the fan.
    I will forever question my vote and talking. One can not put your parents down like you do an old dog yet you get asked to make that call.
    Bob