What's new
What's new

Job Scheduling Calendar

Matt@RFR

Titanium
I know there's another scheduling post that's active, but I think we have different goals.

I'm running a 2-machine shop that's about to be a 3-machine shop and looking like a 4-machine shop later this year. Our schedule is extremely hectic with jobs that last anywhere from 2 days to 35 days, and our customer is constantly changing priorities and delivery dates.

What I use now is Google Calendar. It does everything I need except for two things I don't like: 1) It scrolls the calendar by an entire screen, not by each week. 2) Each day is individual. So if I need to bump a 2 day job in front of a 10 day job, I have to drag 12 individual days around. I know that sounds easy, but with the way the calendar works, it's a pain in the ass and easy to screw up.

ERP is out. Anything that is more involved than a simple calendar is out. It has to be shareable with other computers in real time. Any ideas? I thought I might float this idea on upwork.com and see if a nerd can build me a custom calendar, but thought I'd check here first.

Here's our current month on Google Calendar. Purple is the current Brother. Blue is the Haas. Teal is stuff going on around the shop. Red is delivery dates:
Untitled.jpg

Couple suggestions:

Use week view or set up a custom view (4 weeks is my X shortcut here). This will still page instead of scroll, but it may be a better solution:
2021-08-10 14_05_20-Clipboard.jpg

Use the custom repeat function on GCal instead of creating individual events. Set it to repeat every 1 week on specified days (M-F) for X days. You can then click+drag to adjust.
2021-08-10 14_06_20-Google Calendar - Event details.jpg
2021-08-10 14_09_21-Google Calendar - Event details.jpg
2021-08-10 14_10_17-Google Calendar - Event details.jpg

If you end up wanting to go the custom route, give me a holler. I've been in the machining world for several years and worked in a shop for some time and am now a professional software/web/app developer.

Couple suggestions:

Use week view or set up a custom view (4 weeks is my X shortcut here). This will still page instead of scroll, but it may be a better solution:

Use the custom repeat function on GCal instead of creating individual events. Set it to repeat every 1 week on specified days (M-F) for X days. You can then click+drag to adjust.

Thanks, but no matter what view I choose, there's always the inevitable job that I have to edit each individual day because I can't see the date range I need to just drag stuff around.

And I tried the custom repeat function as outlined, but it still resulted in individual days that didn't stick together when dragged. I may be doing something wrong, but that didn't work at all for me.

I'm just glad to see your busy again Matt!
As for your dilemma? I'm old-skool. Pen/paper, and my feeble mind is all I need.
I guess I need more back-log! LOL

Back